Bersa Thunder 9 Pro XT

Kingman

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

They still come with 5 mags. Man, they are shinny 5 mag. Don't know if this is good or bad to you. I can see my finger print on mags.

Shot a few local match. I like it. 

Only thing I don't like is the short beavertail. I end up with getting lot of hammer bite because I come from CZ world.

The slide will get slam close if you insert mag hard enough. I like it and I think it is the same as Grand Power toys. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, turns out Eagle Imports has a "small supply" of the extended mag release that comes on the gun in Argentina. I was trying to get one from a guy on Team Bersa there. With this part swap I would put it up against my CZ Custom Shop SPO1 Shadow or Patriot Defense Tanfo Lim Pro. Did have to relieve the grip a bit.

20180614_173426.jpg

20180614_173452.jpg

20180614_181709.jpg

Edited by Jeff O

• 2 weeks later...

Slick grip, check - short mag release, check. Also took a little off the raised "swoop" on the grip to make it easier to get to the release. If there's a better bang for the buck in SSP/Production, I don't know what it is! Oh, and $640 at Bud's Guns.

20180701_130946.jpg

20180701_131418.jpg

Edited by Jeff O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just received a factory extended mag release from eagle imports for the XT.  Give them a call to order.  The customer service with eagle imports has been fantastic!.  Another great reason to shoot this gun.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 8:01 AM, Shooter212 said:

Is there any magazine extensions out there that will fit these? They look fun to play with but I want to be able to shoot it for 3 gun too. 

Ben Stoeger Pro Shop has Shockbottles.

I have two of these. I'll attach pictures of the two-tone gun with the extended mag release and the new style grips both available from Eagle Imports customer service, who are very helpful, and can be called to order at 732-493-0333. Both items were in stock yesterday. Also has grip tape from Talon Grips.

The gun pictured has maybe 2,000 rds thru it and I attached pics of the DA and SA trigger pulls in a previous post. but the pic below shows DA has improved with break-in (avg of 10 pulls). Besides the weight numbers being superb, it is butter smooth with an Incredibly short reset. It has been 100% reliable (I load Winchester primers). As I said in an earlier post, this gun is the best kept secret in SSP/Production. It can be purchased for less than $625 and comes with a hand-fitted match grade barrel and 5 mags that cost $50 each to buy seperately. The Ben Stoeger Pro Sop carries SSP/Production legal Shockbottle mag base plates.

It's competition proven as Rodrigo Suarez won SSP Expert with one at the last IDPA World Championship. Add this to the fact that you can buy 2 of them and holster (Red Hill Tactical makes a great one for it, or a Blade-Tech or Comp Tac for an XDm 5.25 works perfectly if you have one) and mag pouches (CZ, Beretta size) and still have a couple of hundred dollars left over as compared to a custom CZ or Tanfo. Hell, you can buy one for the price of a Glock 34 !!!!!!! 😂

20190110-184400.jpg

20190112-080341.jpg

20190112-080603.jpg

Edited by Jeff O

Jeff O, thank you very much for the detailed info.   Seems like an excellent setup.  

Sorry, I have quite a few more questions.  

I wonder if the newest guns might come with the extended  mag release.   In the catalog, the two tone shows the extended one.  

What is different about the grips?   Are they smaller?  I have S/M hands and a little concerned about reach to the trigger mag release?  

I assume the reach to the trigger is longer than a Glock 34, especially to the DA pull?

Which  mag  pouches work better, CZ or Beretta?   I would order the dual mag pouch from Comptac and holster from Redhill. 

Have you had any functional problems, especially during matches?   Are spare parts available?

How “flat” does the  Bersa shoot compared to a G34?

Overall, how have you performed with the Bersa compared to polymer striker fired  guns in IDPA?

I think part of the fun of shooting is trying out different guns and this case a new platform.  

Thanks again for your help.

Eagle could tell you if the new guns come with the ext mag release. The pic in the catalog would seem to indicate so.

The new grips are flatter, thinner and don't have the raised "swoop", I like them better.

The trigger reach to DA is a good bit longer than a Glock, but the reach to SA and the reset are MUCH shorter. I'm OK with the trade off to have second strike capability in DA.

Uh, Beretta and CZ pouches are identical. 🙄 

No functional problems match or otherwise.

Won the overall in my last local IDPA match with it, but to be fair, I won the last one I shot with my XDm 5.25 too.

I like to experiment too.

Edited by Jeff O

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, Jeff O said:

Eagle could tell you if the new guns come with the ext mag release. The pic in the catalog would seem to indicate so.

The new grips are flatter, thinner and don't have the raised "swoop", I like them better.

The trigger reach to DA is a good bit longer than a Glock, but the reach to SA and the reset are MUCH shorter. I'm OK with the trade off to have second strike capability in DA.

Uh, Beretta and CZ pouches are identical. 🙄 

No functional problems match or otherwise.

Won the overall in my last local IDPA match with it, but to be fair, I won the last one I shot with my XDm 5.25 too.

I like to experiment too.

Eagle confirmed that new guns do not yet come with the extended mag release or the new grips, but they have both in stock.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:43 AM, Jeff O said:

I have two of these. I'll attach pictures of the two-tone gun with the extended mag release and the new style grips both available from Eagle Imports customer service, who are very helpful, and can be called to order at 732-493-0333. Both items were in stock yesterday. Also has grip tape from Talon Grips.

The gun pictured has maybe 2,000 rds thru it and I attached pics of the DA and SA trigger pulls in a previous post. but the pic below shows DA has improved with break-in (avg of 10 pulls). Besides the weight numbers being superb, it is butter smooth with an Incredibly short reset. It has been 100% reliable (I load Winchester primers). As I said in an earlier post, this gun is the best kept secret in SSP/Production. It can be purchased for less than $625 and comes with a hand-fitted match grade barrel and 5 mags that cost $50 each to buy seperately. The Ben Stoeger Pro Sop carries SSP/Production legal Shockbottle mag base plates.

It's competition proven as Rodrigo Suarez won SSP Expert with one at the last IDPA World Championship. Add this to the fact that you can buy 2 of them and holster (Red Hill Tactical makes a great one for it, or a Blade-Tech or Comp Tac for an XDm 5.25 works perfectly if you have one) and mag pouches (CZ, Beretta size) and still have a couple of hundred dollars left over as compared to a custom CZ or Tanfo. Hell, you can buy one for the price of a Glock 34 !!!!!!! 😂

20190110-184400.jpg

20190112-080341.jpg

20190112-080603.jpg

5 pounds DA?   That is sweet.

• 2 months later...

So... sorry to be one of those people but I find myself in the market for a new USPSA gun and I'm wondering what everyone's long-term thoughts are on the Pro XT? I've had my eye on it since it came out but always shied away from it for one reason or another. The (relatively) low-cap mags are a disadvantage, but the fact that the trigger pull rivals a tuned-up CZ has me looking at it really hard. My only concern is that my stubby sausage fingers won't be able to run it properly.

Also, this is decocker-only, correct? No option to run it in single action with a safety?

I'm going down to Arkansas to shoot the state IDPA match this weekend and I am shooting the Pro XT, using my CZ Shadow 2 as a backup gun. The trigger on the Bersa is truly amazing but it's accuracy and sight picture are what brought me to this decision. Also I have the new grip from Eagle imports and I love the feel of the gun in my hand.  Don't know about the finger issue but I have big hands but relatively short fingers myself. Yes it is de-cocker only.

Edited by Jeff O

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:34 AM, matteekay said:

The (relatively) low-cap mags are a disadvantage

Wut?  It comes with five, 17 round magazines.  Besides, you can only load ten in the divisions this pistol is meant for and competitive.