Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What M&P pro CORE 9mm spare magazines?

goldfish

What spare magazine would work reliably on a M&P pro core 9mm other than factory? I am thinking on using this for USPSA competition. I am avoiding a bad day with a non working magazine.

I see online on two manufacturer, ACT-MAG and PROMAG magazines. Are they equal to factory? Any mods needed if I get either one of this type.

For those who have tried this, appreciate comments / suggestions.

Thank you.

Shop around for the best deal on FACTORY magazines. The aftermarket mags I tried never ran 100% satisfactorily (can't remember which brand). In the grand scheme of things, how much are you really going to save? If you are on a tight budget, make the saving somewhere else. You will thank me later.

+1 on what SB stated. There is virtually no reason I can think of to go to an aftermarket magazine. Factory magazines just work and they are priced reasonably from places like Quantico Tactical ( 3 for $78) or Greg Cote.

It would appear S&W only makes 17 and 10round mags for this model? NJ is a 15limit state. While most of the classes this firearm would be eligible for would be limited to 10rnds, any 10rnd mags would have poor resale value... Is there something I'm missing?

If it's a .40, yeah.

It would appear S&W only makes 17 and 10round mags for this model? NJ is a 15limit state. While most of the classes this firearm would be eligible for would be limited to 10rnds, any 10rnd mags would have poor resale value... Is there something I'm missing?

17s are better -- the 10s have so little give it's tough to insert them on a closed slide. Also, you can always shoot Limited if you've got 17s.

Agree with what SB said, although I've found that Promags make excellent practice targets. :roflol:

Yes :devil: malfunction drills!

On the serious note, what's OP reason to ask? Cost or availability, or just something different?

If it is cost, here is the difference - Factory mags $35 vs Promag $15. +$20 to buy factory x 3 mags (besides the 2 that came with the pistola) for match requirements - $60 premium over the years of service. How much are you going to pay for match fees? and what do you value the cost of every malfunction due to crappy magazines at each match? I thought OP posted that "wants to avoid having a bad day..."

Availability - Not a supply issue (yet), there are plenty of the factory 17 rds mags out there.

Something different - Well I guess anyone can march to their own drums :)

Edited by PacMan

If it's a .40, yeah.

I have a 9L Pro CORE (9mm)coming, because I suck at this but want to be a mall ninja. (Old guy who can't see sights)

17s are better -- the 10s have so little give it's tough to insert them on a closed slide. Also, you can always shoot Limited if you've got 17s.

We are prohibited from owning any magazine (rifle or pistol) capable of holding more than 15 rounds in NJ. (My semi-auto shotgun is limited to a 6round magazine).

I have a Mec-Gar 15 rnd on order. They worked well for all 4 of my Sigs. The alternative is to have my local FFL order 17 rounders and send them out to be pinned (tig welder?)...$$$

Smith makes 15 round 9mm mags, http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_842047_-1_758019_757846_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Now the question is, "Are they available elsewhere for a better price?" I haven't found them listed at the usual suspects (Quantico, Greg Cote, etc) but they do exist.

they make 15 rdr's. I got some in a trade from a weasel who screwed me on them and some other items

took the full size mags and put wolf in there.

kept then if anyone wants them send me a padded mailer with 2.00$ postage on it. funny looking suckers.

kept the 15 rdr's if case I ever go to joisery. not f-----g likely as I am from TEXAS and wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire.

when u lose a while state to the gun grabbers ask who is to blame. not l.o.l.

jjw

p.s. just looked at gun warehouse in post above they list 15 rd 9mm factory

Edited by jjw

• 4 weeks later...

What spare magazine would work reliably on a M&P pro core 9mm other than factory? I am thinking on using this for USPSA competition. I am avoiding a bad day with a non working magazine.

I see online on two manufacturer, ACT-MAG and PROMAG magazines. Are they equal to factory? Any mods needed if I get either one of this type.

For those who have tried this, appreciate comments / suggestions.

Thank you.

From what I have been told, the ACT magazines work pretty damn well. But in all honesty, how many mags do you really need...id say about 6-7 total. Just go factory.