Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 caliber conversion 9/40

I know the caliber conversion kits for 9mm and 40SW have different shell plates but I also have read that a lot of people are using the same shell plate for both calibers. If that's the case it would make changing calibers much quicker. Just replace the pre setup toolheads. What's the consensus? If this is the case, do you use the 40SW shellplate for both calibers or the 9mm shellplate. Also, can you use the same casefeed adapter and plunger for both calibers?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I haven't heard of that. I can't imagine either caliber would be held in the other shell plate correctly. The swaging tool would miss the primer pocket probably every time.

The next time I'm at my press I will see if a 40 will even fit the 9 shell plate.

My 9mm plate isn't on the machine so I can't 100% examine it. A .40 case will start into a 9mm plate, but I don't think it will seat fully to align correctly under a die.

I wonder about.a 9 into a 40 plate. Will that line up correctly under a 9mm die?

I'm probably making a lot to do over nothing. Just take the extra 15 min and change the plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Update...set up a tool head for 9mm and replaced the 40SW shell plate with the 9mm #5 shell late. Did not change the the case feed plunger. Installed a small case feed plate in the case feeder. Loaded a few thousand 9mm then all I did was change a tool head already set up for 40SW and started back loading 40. Kept the #5 shell plate on the machine. I did change locator buttons too. Small case feed plate works for 40 and 9.

The caliber conversion took me all of 10 minutes from 9 to 40 which on a 1050 I thought was pretty slick. Same will be true when I go back to 9.

The initial caliber conversion cost was a little pricey for the tool head, dies etc but cheaper than another 1050.

Just FYI for anyone interested.

Edited by doc88

I'd hear of this too, my RL 1050 is set up for 9x21. I put some .40 brass in and it seemed to fit PERFECT. After Christmas, I'm going to order a tool head and build up a .40 tool head so I can load both .40 and 9mm on my 1050! :D

How about the other way, I have a super 1050 set up for .40. Will the shell plate work for 9mm?

My recommendation and what I did was get the 9mm conversion with the 9mm shell plate set it it up for 9mm then just exchange the 9 and 40 tool heads. The 9 shell plate will hold the 40 brass steady. The 40 shell plate may allow the 9 brass to move around too much not allowing proper index of the toolhead.

How about the other way, I have a super 1050 set up for .40. Will the shell plate work for 9mm?

My recommendation and what I did was get the 9mm conversion with the 9mm shell plate set it it up for 9mm then just exchange the 9 and 40 tool heads. The 9 shell plate will hold the 40 brass steady. The 40 shell plate may allow the 9 brass to move around too much not allowing proper index of the toolhead.

That is correct.

• 1 year later...

Reviving a long lost thread.

From what I've gleaned from the thread

- Use a separate 9mm and .40 toolhead, dies, expander, powder

- Use the 9mm Shell Plate (#5 shell plate)

- Use the #3 Pins for 9mm and the #2 pins for .40

-Question:  What about the Casefeed Plunger?  Can one plunger be used for both and if so which one?

• 3 weeks later...

The 1050 is so easy to work on, that the only reason to use a single shell plate for 40 and 9 is to save money. It takes a minute or two to pull the toolhead and another couple minutes to pull the shell plunger, move the shell ejector and take off the nut that holds the shell plate. That is great if you only need a single shell plate. Also, it doesn't hurt to clean under the plate and lube where needed.

Heck, I just tore my machine down to the frame to clean, relube, and switch from 9 to 40. It has been a relaxing couple hours moving at a slow pace. There is cat hair all over mine and this is the first time I pulled the crank and bearings out, so it has taken longer than it will in the future. It wasn't even necessary to look at any schematics. These machines are simple and built like a tank. I would rather tear down the 1050 than my 550.

My machine gets changed over once or twice a year on average and I just finished a nice run of 9mm, so it won't need changed over until that batch is about used up.

• 3 weeks later...