Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What freefloat tube charateristics for PRS?

ranger

I realize that gas guns are not the best choice for PRS style shooting - however, I am going to start with what I have which is a 20 inch 6.5 Grendel AR. This upper has a plain, smooth freefloat handguard - I think I need a more substantial handguard to mount a bipod. I know I can drill and tap for a sling mount but thinking of replacing. I have multiple ARs with freefloat handguards so I have a basic understanding of what is in the market. Looking for advice of what do I need to look for in a freefloat handguard for PRS.

I would strongly recommend a JP xxl. It is longer than other guards, moving the bipod mount forward. The more forward it is, the less your wiggle impacts your sight picture. You can't be a wiggle worm back there, but I will take all the help I can get. Put a rail on the bottom and mount a soft pad from accu-shot. This will get you squared up plus have something soft to settle down onto. I have seen this rig work, and it is better than a lot of other stuff. My next build will be wearing this if I can ever get my bolt rifle sold. Talked to Dustin at JP, and now I'm on a clear path. I just need to free up some funds. Interesting how people mount a cheese grater all the way down the top of the guard. Not sure why. If I want something there, I can mount whatever size piece of rail that I need with out it being there unnecessarily.

Edited by shooter steve

Agreed. The Pic rail along the entire top length doesn't seem to be useful in either 3-gun or precision rifle applications.

Steve, where exactly should that soft pad be mounted on the handguard? I'm imagination challenged today and am not sure where it should go in relation to the bipod mount point.

Great post, my friend. I learned a bunch in just a few sentences!

The pad should be mounted behind your bi pod. Back towards the receiver a little. It should be a comfortable distance so that when you are on a barricade you can hold the barricade in your off hand. You will be stretched out a little, but not so much that you are out of balance. The little pads a kind of pricey, but after seeing one run, it's on the must have list. I've really looked hard at calibers, turbos,fat rats, 243, creed etc, and have finally decided on 6 creed. It's not just the caliber, it's the complete package from JP including light weight bolt carrier etc... Edited to fix stupid spell check.

Edited by shooter steve