Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with 929s continue ?

IowaNewbie

I was thinking to add a 929 to my collection so I could shoot revolver competitions (USPSA specifically). Seems that may not be a good idea. What's a good recommendation now?

Here is my recommendation: don't buy any new SW revolver unless you can give it a DETAILED bench review before buying. I would NEVER special order (pre pay) a gun because then you are stuck with it.

What would be a detailed bench review? What should I look for? I'm capable of using calipers, but not proficient, if I need to. Having said all that, if I want a revolver that isn't a Smith and Wesson what else is out there that's good?

Ruger has good reputation and resale values, Taurus are junk based on low used gun prices. Dan Wesson used to be highly thought of.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not as useful for gaming, are the 986 series as plagued by problems as the 929s? I really would like one or the other, but man, all this mess about the 929s has me a little worried!

While not as useful for gaming, are the 986 series as plagued by problems as the 929s? I really would like one or the other, but man, all this mess about the 929s has me a little worried!

I got a 986 before I got my 929. It was as expected for a contemporary S&W. My take is you're hearing these issues about the 929 because it is a gun primarily designed for gaming, which means the average buyer has a bit more experience and does a lot more shooting than the average revolver buyer.

Look up my previous posts..... Most of my 929 issues were self induced (I have 2 of them). I did need to square up one forcing cone. The "sticky" cylinder issue? was that I had the moon clips EDM cut locally and I wanted tighter and tighter ones. I've switched to RS moon clips and once fired military brass, thinking it would be more consistent, ok so far. Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

How would you go about fixing the bent hammer pin?

You make a steel bar with a hole in the end that will slip fit over the pin. Put the bar over the pin and gently bend it back straight. This way you have more control over the process than if you were trying to bend it with a hammer. Also there is no impact which would be more likely to snap it off. Be advised, it may still break off, but this is your best shot at fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

No Issues: Shooting 38 Shortcolt fire-formed Starline Brass / Moonclips with 147 Gr 9MM Black Bullets with no extraction / accuracy issues. Reloading via all 9MM Dies. Reworked the trigger to 5 lb double action / don't care what it is for single action. Hammer cropped or one available from Apex works just as well. Like the 929 over the 327 because the 327 is just too light for anything other than a Speed on Steel Match. Like the 929 over the 627 because the barrel is 1" longer barrel / titanium cylinder combination. Also, use a Safari holster as I do not trust some of the race holsters and at a USPSA IPSC event how much time does it really save you for a single draw / stage event. Especially when you practice enough with it.

No Issues: Shooting 38 Shortcolt fire-formed Starline Brass / Moonclips with 147 Gr 9MM Black Bullets with no extraction / accuracy issues. Reloading via all 9MM Dies. Reworked the trigger to 5 lb double action / don't care what it is for single action. Hammer cropped or one available from Apex works just as well. Like the 929 over the 327 because the 327 is just too light for anything other than a Speed on Steel Match. Like the 929 over the 627 because the barrel is 1" longer barrel / titanium cylinder combination. Also, use a Safari holster as I do not trust some of the race holsters and at a USPSA IPSC event how much time does it really save you for a single draw / stage event. Especially when you practice enough with it.

You are using 9mm sizing die for the 38 short colt? What happens if you use a 38 short colt sizing die on brass fired in the 9mm chamber? Take it one works better than the other. Looks like you have the 929 figured out. It is tempting me now.

You are using 9mm sizing die for the 38 short colt? What happens if you use a 38 short colt sizing die on brass fired in the 9mm chamber? Take it one works better than the other. Looks like you have the 929 figured out. It is tempting me now.

You would be over working the brass if you sized it back to 38 everytime you fired it in the 9mm chamber. Once it's fireformed to the 9mm chamber just use the 9mm die if you are just going to shoot it in the 9mm chamber again.

Local gun shop has been sitting on 929 for over six months. Thinking about making them an offer,but with all the issues posted about this revo wondering what are the obvious areas to check and do any of these checks require told,etc? Hate to pay a premium and end up with a lemon.

I have had two of them for quite some time.

The triggers were dogshit from the get go. A few hours time and an Apex hammer and that was fixed.

I chamfered the charge holes and changed out the rear sight.

I bought 50 moon clips from HearthCo.

The same things I have done to every other Smith revolver I own.

Maybe I am lucky but they have been trouble free.

• 4 weeks later...

How would you go about fixing the bent hammer pin?

You make a steel bar with a hole in the end that will slip fit over the pin. Put the bar over the pin and gently bend it back straight. This way you have more control over the process than if you were trying to bend it with a hammer. Also there is no impact which would be more likely to snap it off. Be advised, it may still break off, but this is your best shot at fixing it.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks. My pin was bent slightly, fixed it. The hammer was still rubbing on the frame a bit. The hole on the hammer was way bigger than the pin, there was visible play. Put some shims on the side that was rubbing (from power custom) and it solved the issue.

Started getting sticky extraction with Starline after the second loading. Now I'm shooting Winchester and haven't had a problem even after the fourth loading. Call me stubborn.

Got the trigger down below 6 lbs using a Black Magic Spring Kit from Vic Picket. I wish I would have gone to the spring kit sooner.

Other than that I've had no problems. I'm even getting 30 fps faster bullets from my new 929 compared to my first one.