Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micro MOA 16" barrel, rifle gas?

gdcguns

I run the 12.5" fluted mid length has on my sbr and like it a lot. I also have several friends who run those barrels on comp rifles and they are extremely accurate. The only issue I have with the barrel is that it's heavier than I would like but the fluting helps. With my 12.5 I have no problem hitting a larue at 400yds with a red dot. Also they are very customer service friendly.

Disclaimer:

I know the owner and a buddy or two is sponsored by them.

i bought mine after seeing their results and shooting their rifles

Other guys I know run the barrels from 12.5 to 17.3

All are very accurate with factory ammo

I'm running the 16 mid with wolf gold and was ringing plates out to 600 meters (limit of scope) last weekend

Another buddy (not the guy above) was ringing steel out to 550 with a 12.5

I have the Govnah gas block tuned for 2 loads (hoser and long range) and the 3rd position is full open gas.

For next year i'm picking up one of the 17.3 Rifle

Thanks for the responses so far. Sounds like I definitely want to try one. My concern is the reliability of the 16" barrel with the rifle gas. I was planning on building with a SLR adjustable gas block, and probably a JP LMOS BCG, although the AIM light weight BCG seems appealing at the price point.

Edited by gdcguns

Thanks for the responses so far. Sounds like I definitely want to try one. My concern is the reliability of the 16" barrel with the rifle gas. I was planning on building with a SLR adjustable gas block, and probably a JP LMOS BCG, although the AIM light weight BCG seems appealing at the price point.

Given how brief the dwell time is on the geometry, I can't see how an adjustable gas block will help. rifle-length gas systems on this short of a barrel have had problems being natively under-gassed, from my understanding. I think you would be wasting y our money *and* adding a more complex failure point in your rifle operating system.

Given how brief the dwell time is on the geometry, I can't see how an adjustable gas block will help. rifle-length gas systems on this short of a barrel have had problems being natively under-gassed, from my understanding. I think you would be wasting y our money *and* adding a more complex failure point in your rifle operating system.

What you say sounds like it would be correct but my own experiences differ. I am currently running a 16" rifle gas barrel and have had no issues with under gassing. I started with an 18" rifle gas barrel and had ADCO cut it back to 16", so the gas port is set for a 18" dwell time, not 16". Like you I assumed an adjustable gas block would be a waste of time but when I put the barrel on the gun all I had on hand was a Seekins adjustable so I used it. As it turns out I was able to turn it down quite a bit. My complete system is a 16" rifle gas Mega Arms barrel, Seekins adjustable gas block, JP JPTRE-2S comp, JP LMOS Stainless bolt carrier and Vltor A-5 recoil system. I tune my guns to PMC 55gr ball as this is the softest recoiling of the ammo I use.

What you say sounds like it would be correct but my own experiences differ. I am currently running a 16" rifle gas barrel and have had no issues with under gassing. I started with an 18" rifle gas barrel and had ADCO cut it back to 16", so the gas port is set for a 18" dwell time, not 16". Like you I assumed an adjustable gas block would be a waste of time but when I put the barrel on the gun all I had on hand was a Seekins adjustable so I used it. As it turns out I was able to turn it down quite a bit. My complete system is a 16" rifle gas Mega Arms barrel, Seekins adjustable gas block, JP JPTRE-2S comp, JP LMOS Stainless bolt carrier and Vltor A-5 recoil system. I tune my guns to PMC 55gr ball as this is the softest recoiling of the ammo I use.

Great feedback and sharing your experiences, thank you. I found it educational. I wonder how the gas port dimensions compare? I enjoyed your comments and feedback. :cheers:

Hey guys I'm lucky enough to be sponsored by MicroMoa.com . I did run the fluted 16" barrel with rifle length gas,and Govnah gas block. MicroMoa helped set up the gas for light load , suppressed, and wide open gas. I really enjoyed running the 16". The rifle ran like a top. My setup was a lightweight BCG, JP silent capture spring, Hiperfire trigger,and SJC titan. This rifle was setup for limited, but have since switched to a the 17.3 for tac optics just for a little bit more velocity, also running a CMC trigger. Both rifles shoot ridiculous soft. What's nice about the govnah gas block is you can change to wide open gas on the fly.

I used a Nordic 18" with Seekins gas block before switching to MicroMoa. The last Task Force Dagger match on a long range stage I was using 69 smk's . Well the Nordic went single action . If I had the Govnah gas block. I could adjust the gas on the fly and finish the stage successfully .

If you like options look at the Govnah gas block as well as the MicroMoa barrel- they are very accurate and shoot sub moa with Black Hills 77 gr ammo.

JP

Edited by Sthrngnr

Interesting! I just started buying parts for my new dedicated 3 Gun rifle. Been looking at all kinds of barrels. This is definitely one I'm considering. I was shopping for an 18" for a longer gas system than my current carbine gas setup. But I'm not so sure it will be noticeable, my gun doesn't kick at all as it is.

Edited by JordanGriffith

I do have one in my match gun. Ran it this year without issues. Most recently at RM3G. My set up is what you'd just described 16" MicroMOA rifle length gas, JP Stl steel LMOS, SLR adj gas block, Taccom ultralight carbine buffer system, Hiperfire 24C trigger, and V7 brake. Ammo was a mix bag of 55gr Blitzkings and 55gr FMJ, all loaded to 2900 fps out of this barrel. Gas block is closed 1/2 way with this set up so it still has plenty of gas left. Barrel is 1.25 moa with the blitzking at 100 yds with Leupold Prismatic 1x. Haven't tried with any magnification yet since I'm shooting limited iron.

My old reviews (both 16" one mid length and one rifle length gas) on AR15 back in 2014 http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_543/256085_Great_barrel_.html

BTW, I'm testing out the new AIM lightweight bcg just for grins, it is the same weight as the JP LMOS. Ran it through the same upper today without issue, verdict is still out there since I only got 50 rds through this carrier.

Edited by PacMan

BTW, I'm testing out the new AIM lightweight bcg just for grins, it is the same weight as the JP LMOS.

Have you actually weighed them? My AIM BCG is lighter than my JP

Yes, 8-1/2 oz (AIM) vs. 8-5/8 oz (JP), negligible in my book and the carbine sure didn't notice it today.

• 3 weeks later...

Im running a 16" fluted Micro with rifle gas, low mass BCG, rifle length stock, spring and buffer. Never had any issues with my setup. I can run the same set up with a full weight BCG. I've tested hoser loads that were right at 2400 fps. Cycling was not an issue. I also have a 14.5" mid and building a 12.5" mid.