Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 .223 die?

I have the Lee, RCBS small base and Dillon. I like the Dillon the best. Try the Lee and if the resized brass will fall in a case gauge, you should be good to go. I use Lee pistol dies for reloading on my 650. I actually use the Dillon trim die to size.

I do use and like the luxury of a micrometer seating die.

Here is my issue now.

I bought some lake city brass. I bought them sized and pockets swaged. If I resize with Lee die set the neck side comes out a bit long by a few thousandths. But otherwise case gauges fine. I may just load these without resizing again, just take out 1st die

I need to clean and test some non pre sized brass, through the Lee dies.

Edited by biglou13

I did the same. Purchased some processed brass from Gunbroker to save me a little time. Though the primer pocket was properly swaged and the cases properly sized, I found out the hard way that they were trimmed a little long.

It only gave me problems with a Nordic barreled gun.

Now I run all of them through my Little Crow WFT and problem is solved.

Here is my issue now.

I bought some lake city brass. I bought them sized and pockets swaged. If I resize with Lee die set the neck side comes out a bit long by a few thousandths. But otherwise case gauges fine. I may just load these without resizing again, just take out 1st die

I need to clean and test some non pre sized brass, through the Lee dies.

Grind a few thou off the bottom of your sizing die?

i was blaming sixing button... but after thinking about it..... if the die was proper the sizing button wont pull brass long.

how do you DIY and properly grind down die?

or is this a send to lee kind of thing? cost?

im going to load this batch without deprime and button.....

Edited by biglou13

i was blaming sixing button... but after thinking about it..... if the die was proper the sizing button wont pull brass long.

Tall glass of scotch. Sandpaper, various grits. Preferably electricity and whatever sanding tool I can dig up. Sense of humor.

I tried dillon dies for 9mm and they would not size the case properly. I tried and tried. Went to a Lee U die and am 15k+ rounds in with zero issues.

Are you using brass shot from a glock? I have heard stories of glock bulge. I'm shooting S&W M&P's and rugers. I'm using dillon 9mm die set in my 550 and have no problem with sizing.

I tried dillon dies for 9mm and they would not size the case properly. I tried and tried. Went to a Lee U die and am 15k+ rounds in with zero issues.

Are you using brass shot from a glock? I have heard stories of glock bulge. I'm shooting S&W M&P's and rugers. I'm using dillon 9mm die set in my 550 and have no problem with sizing.

"Glock bulge" doesn't apply to 9mm.

Tall glass of scotch. Sandpaper, various grits. Preferably electricity and whatever sanding tool I can dig up. Sense of humor.

I was thinking some wet sand paper, progressive grits, oil, glass surface, bourbon and Netflix. Not joking. But I'll call Lee tomorrow.

Measure to a spot on the shoulder of cases fired in your gun. You should size to a dimension about .003 shorter than that for your particular chamber.

Is this considered bumping the shoulder. I'm trying not to buy case comparator...... At risk of becoming a bench rest head.... Does measuring brass length count?

Thanks all for the info...