Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide between 2 shotguns

Springer

I am planning to purchase a shotgun for sporting clays and skeet. I have shot both in the past casually but I am moving to an area with a good club that I plan to join.

I have narrowed it down to the Bereta A400 Xcel and the CZ Spotted Standard Grade G2. I have had semi's and an o/u (entry level) in the past but I am struggling to make a decision, any and all advice or opinions is greatly appreciated.

Understood about the shell catchers. At issue really is that the three disciplines really use three different guns. Trap, a single with a high rib, longer barrel, Skeet, Double, shorter barrels to accommodate swing. SC a double and a length between trap and skeet. Biggest thing in SC is that you can have two different chokes, a really nice feature since SC may have a close and long shot on the same COF.

Hello: Take a look at the Beretta O/U as well. I have a 686 in 28 gauge, 682 with tubes and a DT-10 Lusso. I also have a Beretta A300 and it works great with 3/4oz reloads. For sporting clays the O/U is the way to go because of the two choke choices. For trap or skeet a semi or even a pump gun will work. See which gun fits you the best. Thanks, Eric

FIT!

The Number one thing you will need to advance in SG sports is FIT. If the Gun Don't Fit, Don't Buy It!

My entry into an O/U was a friends Ruger. Shot it once for fun, Yeah, I want one. It was on my list, Ruger was inexpensive. So, I started shopping, Quickly found out that the Ruger didn't FIT. Just could not bring it up clean, so I started down the racks of guns at the local SGS. Finally wound up with a Browning XS Special 30". Would this be the gun for you? No idea. I know that being a bit adjustable I am finding out that what I THOUGHT was right has changed and I am resetting the comb height and cast to get it right.

What I am saying is don't jump in becasue any of here tout a particular gun or you read some where that this is the be-all and end-all of SGs. Ask around, try different guns, at the very least pick up and shoulder every gun you can, preferable in your shooting vest and shirt. It is far cheaper to spend more once than to spend less twice. And by the way, You don not NEED a $40,000 SG to compete in Trap, Skeet of SC. You need to have a gun that fits, works and then spend the lion's share of your money on ammo and SHOOT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...