Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The hacks,short cuts and money savers thread: How you save money and s

NPSS

Patches nor any other aid ever worked for me. Chantix worked like a charm. And I know whatcha mean about the social aspect and smell. Wife gives me the stink eye every time I start to walk outside. Or any time I mention spending money. Or every time I breathe... ? Starting back on Chantix tomorrow and hoping to have similar results as last time. Then it's gym membership time. Gotta get faster when moving and have better control of my breathing.

And think of all the $ we'll free up for shooting. Good luck again, with the smoking and the current funk. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tumble my brass with lizard bedding off Amazon Prime and Nu Finish car polish.

Harbor freight has crushed walnut shell media $20 for 25 lbs w/ internet coupon and less when on sale. Corm cob media at Walmart, $5 for 10 liters...

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely see anybody else take home used targets after a match, including the untouched no-shoot targets. Either they're not practicing, a target manufacturer is sponsoring them, or they're buying new targets. I actually know people that buy new targets for practice...and I totally don't get that.

But, I'm being a bit hypocritical because I buy pasters to paste my used targets. My new years resolution is to use masking tape, instead.

My new years resolutions to save money and buy more bullets:

Quit smoking = lots more bullets

Masking tape instead of buying pasters = more bullets

Eating at home more and taking stuff with me to eat during and after match = more bullets

No more store bought bottled water = more bullets

More diligent about turning off lights at home when not needed = more bullets

Limit Red Box visits to once every two or three weeks, and then only one movie = more bullets

No purchases at Walmart unless I use a discounted gift card bought on line = more bullets

Washing and reusing corn cob media at least once = more bullets

I'm sure there's other stuff to save money on. I'm kind of thinking about giving up beer and coffee but I don't know if that's realistic. Wish me luck ..especially with the smoking thing

Hey, gm. Good luck on the last! I gave up coffee and smokes except for an occaisional cigar. However the beer & scotch, well I'm still working on that...

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

The only advice I give to new shooters is use the gear you have for an extended period of time before spending money on replacement gear, custom gunsmithing or even buying a new gun.

I second this almost more for the reason of when your new you don't know what you really want. You think you do until your around the sport for a while. Then you realize that whole rig you spent hundreds on isn't quite right.

• 6 months later...

I like to scour eBay and Armslist for people who bought into a shooting sport heavily before trying it then decide to move to their next hobby, MT biking, scuba, painting figurines or whatever.  They are usually the ones that will sell at deep discounts just to recoup some cash.  I've acquired most of my accessories this way and saved huge over buying brand new.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You save money and get better with lots and lots of dry fire.

Reloading saves money per round but you end up spending just as much/more due to volume. Reloading is not money saved, it is value added. Like shopping at costco. You spend the same but get more.

I wouldn’t cheap out on gear: gun, mags, belt, pouches, holster. Buy once cry once

• 11 months later...
On 11/29/2015 at 10:59 PM, NPSS said:

We all know shootings sports like USPSA/IPSC and 3 gun have a certain reputation for "Race guns" and special equipment. Some of it's warranted, a lot of it isn't.

How and where do YOU save money?Used guns and gear for beginners? Reloading your own ammo? Make your own case lube? Car pool to matches? Use a certain economical bullet type for practice? Maybe a different powder too?? Promote brands on social media for discounts?

Share below. Ideas will be used for media to get more shooters shooting matches.

*What I'm not looking for is responses like " you won't save any money shooting these games herp de derp I shoot 40 majors a year and use gold plated brass"

It took me a long time for me to realize that a relatively bare bones gun with good sights and a slight trigger adjustment will allow you to burn it down at most levels of USPSA. Used guns and gear in most cases for me have been favorable (granted most my guns were purchased new). Ive shot production for most my matches (currently a master) and most of it has been done with a Glock. Far from a flashy "race" gun, but a few springs, and good sights made it work. Ive saved some money buying used mags and putting good springs in them. My Dillon RL550B press paid for itself the first year of shooting. I use a cheap tumblr and rarely change the media, I don't need my brass squeaky clean, I just need it to run in the gun and I spray Hornady One Shot on everything lol. I shoot titegroup because its cheap and is consistent enough to make PF anytime.  Buy primers in bulk when you can. I have car pooled to matches. I do participate in The Blue Bullets sponsorship program, so taking 1st at club matches adds up and winning the WI Sectional last year covered the cost of ~3k bullets. 

Edited by rootacres

Lots of good info in this old thread.  One thing i will add is to have realistic expectations.  If you are not going to put copious amounts of time and energy into the sport, understand that copious amounts of money will not help you to shoot better.  I shoot a plastic limited gun and while i would like a nice 2011 i understand that it would have little to no effect on my scores.  If you are going to be like the majority of USPSA shooters and hang around in C/B/low A class, as long as you equipment is reliable, it is more than likely plenty good enough and spending several thousands of dollars to *maybe* pickup a couple of percentage points at a local is kinda foolish.  If you goal is realistically to try for High M/GM at level 2s and above then the equipment might help you out, but it won't make up for lots of practice.  For most USPSA shooters high end equipment is just a waste of money and a play pretty, it hurts to hear, but it is true....

On 11/29/2015 at 11:59 PM, NPSS said:

We all know shootings sports like USPSA/IPSC and 3 gun have a certain reputation for "Race guns" and special equipment. Some of it's warranted, a lot of it isn't.

How and where do YOU save money?Used guns and gear for beginners? Reloading your own ammo? Make your own case lube? Car pool to matches? Use a certain economical bullet type for practice? Maybe a different powder too?? Promote brands on social media for discounts?

Share below. Ideas will be used for media to get more shooters shooting matches.

*What I'm not looking for is responses like " you won't save any money shooting these games herp de derp I shoot 40 majors a year and use gold plated brass"

What is this saving money voodoo that you speak of? I used to think that owning a Jeep meant emptying pockets. Sheesh!

On 5/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, RJH said:

Lots of good info in this old thread.  One thing i will add is to have realistic expectations.  If you are not going to put copious amounts of time and energy into the sport, understand that copious amounts of money will not help you to shoot better.  I shoot a plastic limited gun and while i would like a nice 2011 i understand that it would have little to no effect on my scores.  If you are going to be like the majority of USPSA shooters and hang around in C/B/low A class, as long as you equipment is reliable, it is more than likely plenty good enough and spending several thousands of dollars to *maybe* pickup a couple of percentage points at a local is kinda foolish.  If you goal is realistically to try for High M/GM at level 2s and above then the equipment might help you out, but it won't make up for lots of practice.  For most USPSA shooters high end equipment is just a waste of money and a play pretty, it hurts to hear, but it is true....

Agreed, with the poly guns out there these days and decent aftermarket support , person can go a long ways with a M&P, XDM or Glock competition model , some youtube videos, and some semi drop in parts. Especially considering it doesnt seem like STI is doing basic guns like the Eagle or Edge anymore.
I was gonna add, Learn to work on your own guns. 
Can save you gunsmith fees, as well as a match fee one day. As stick around long enough something will break right before a match.

Edited by Joe4d

On 5/12/2019 at 9:53 PM, RJH said:

I would agree with this. And I'm very guilty of this. Last year was my first year shooting and I shot a Canik TP9SFX.. Cheap, plastic polymer gun. This year I bought a custom Shadow 2, with the full pro package from Cajun. My scores have improved dramatically from last year. However, I can shoot both guns and get the same scores. One gun is $500, the other cost me $2,000. The time I put into training made me better, not the gear.

Shoot a Gen 3 Glock 34 in production with some black back and FO Front sight. When you realize you want to commit to the sport, get a ZEV trigger, or whatever.

Buy once cry once on the Belt and pouches and whatnot.

Reload. And buy in bulk. Get a case of 124gr 9mms at a time Bayou (sponsor plug), Blues, SNS etc. Take advantage of Free Shipping, discounts, etc. 

Pick up your brass. Stay late, it takes 15 min. Pick up other peoples brass, then trade for 9 brass. 

Factory is 200 per k rounds. Reloading is 100 per k

• 1 month later...

I bought a blue label Glock 17. As accurate as I am. 

Came with 3 17rnd mags. Bought 2 more 17 rounders. 

Inexpensive but serviceable belt, mag pouchesholster, and ear protection. 

Safety glasses from Lowe’s. 

$500

New G.I. 30rnd AR mags. 

Built my AR myself. Using Lower cost parts. 

Under $300

Mossberg 930JW Pro 9+1 for $650

I am set up to begin 3gun for under $1500

I reload my own 9mm, 5.56, and 12 ga. 

Use the KIA instead of my 3500 to travel. 

Practice on my own property so range fees and club dues are avoided. 

Edited by DixieBushcraft

This might sound petty, but I volunteer for work crew to get out of entry fees. Every little bit helps.

Someone above mentioned blue label Glocks. If you don't qualify, join GSSF and your second year you get a coupon for pricing that's on par with blue label.

For tumbling media, I use bird litter. $22 for a 20 lb. bag. A cut used dryer sheet cuts down on the dust and helps shine them up.

I used to use rice as tumbling media until I got addicted to wet tumbling.  Wet tumbling is where it's at, kids!  The stainless steel tumbling media can be reused forever and all you need to add is a bit of dish detergent.  Cheap AND your brass looks downright sexy when you're finished!  Just make sure to dry it in a food dehydrator or oven so that you don't get squibs (been there, done that).

• 1 month later...

Buy what you want and what increases your enjoyment of the sport. Just KNOW what you want and what makes you happy. Skimping to the detriment of your own fun is silly. Save money on dumb stuff like car insurance and daycare for the kiddies.  We all know that a basic setup with lots of dry fire and loads of live fire practice will get you to GM. But if that is not what gives you pleasure and you want that custom rig with matching holster and magazine basepads, buy it. YOLO!

Edited by lawboy

On 6/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tanders said:

I used to use rice as tumbling media until I got addicted to wet tumbling.  Wet tumbling is where it's at, kids!  The stainless steel tumbling media can be reused forever and all you need to add is a bit of dish detergent.  Cheap AND your brass looks downright sexy when you're finished!  Just make sure to dry it in a food dehydrator or oven so that you don't get squibs (been there, done that).

Can you give an example of what is used? Or any link. This is interesting. Does the use ruin brass in the process? 

On 8/23/2019 at 2:44 AM, xdf3 said:

Can you give an example of what is used? Or any link. This is interesting. Does the use ruin brass in the process? 

I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077DJ1M7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and it doesn't hurt the brass at all.  I have even tumbled corroded brass that had been sitting in wet sand all winter and it still came out nice and smooth afterwards.  The only inconvenience separating the media from the brass (I use a kitchen sieve) and the drying time (1 hr at 200 F in the oven works really well).

• 2 months later...

If you live in the desert, free range fees.

Make your target stands out of wood just like we use at the range.

for steel i hang them with the last stand and recycled rebar

Not ashamed to pull targets out of the trash post match, tape them up and shoot them until the next match (usually 1 or 2 a month).

lots of dry fire, its free and helps with sight alignment. Too easy for me to get ahead of myself as a new shooter and lose fundamentals. Dry fire allows me to slow down and only care about sight alignment on target.

volunteer for free/reduced fees.

My local range has a clean up after yourself policy so i always bring 2/3 buckets for people to use to clean up the different bays. By using my bucket those who want their brass back can pick through it (38SC shooters) but leaves most the 9 and 40 for me.

Trade brass! i dont shoot much 9 but most my pickups at ranges is 9, get with club members and trade off unused calibers for ones you use, i do a straight lb for lb swap.

• 2 months later...

I always buy in bulk, when its something tried and true. Wait for free hazmat or shipping. Make my own case lube. I remember the component shortage years ago... and almost feel like it made me a little more conscious about blowing money. I'm still not very frugal, but buying in bulk and saving my money to wait on sales makes me feel like I'm literally getting more bang for the buck.

19 hours ago, kcin said:

Use Carburetor or break cleaner instead of fancy gun cleaner.  Just be careful around polymer bc it will melt some polymers.   

I have used it for many years to clean guns.  Important to get the non-chlorinated versions, usually in a green can. The non-chlorinated brake cleaners affect less types of polymers than the regular brake cleaners.