Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Evolution Of Ipsc Pistols ?

JD45

good question..

I know Don Fisher shot major 9 from a converted CZ75, and Paul Miller shot major 9 using 162LRN bullets..

Bruce Gray made a HKP7M13 into a major 9mm comp gun and Jim Boland cut a welded a 1911 frame for major 9..not sure what mags he used..

I remember a few BHPs out there too made by Cylinder and Slide..but cannot remember who shot them..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember standing around the CMC table..everyone trying to see and touch the new hi-cap frame..it extended past flusch..but had that big ole ugly basepad to fit flush with the frame. Chip and Virgil in their snazzy black and white shirts...

Do you remember that Chip only had the one prototype. $499 a frame and he was still taking orders standing on the stairs at the Travellodge on Saturday while trying to pack.

Team Caspian was shooting Para, because they didn't receive their Caspian frames until a week before the match.

Kenny

FWIW, in 1992 Caspian frames were advertised at $599.95 "delivery in 1992", and STI/CMC's is listed at $665.

"JLE" stood for "Just Long Enough". It came about when Stanford outlawed 9x19 major loaded short..............

Don't know who started using major 9x19 first but there were several of us in the So Cal area using it around 1987. I started out using a 140 LSWC but by 1989 was using 115 gr JHP's on top of a lot of Winchester 540. My ugly hi cap was built in 1988 with a 3 chamber comp and I think I used 124gr FMJ's when I first got it.

Edited by Bob Hostetter

"I knew Wilson was his sponsor and had worked most of the gun....but I thought Huening had done the actual cut and weld to the frame..."

According to the AH article....it was a Wilson design. That's all I have to go by. :P

Staring at the write-up now actually...no mention of George.

Chuck,

Huening did do the chop job on Burner's gun. Wilson paid for it. A close friend of mine was also supplied guns by Wilson (Mark Mazzotta), Bill told him he wouldn't pay George to do another one. If it was in the American Handgunner, no wonder Huening wasn't mentioned. Look at how much advertising was Wilson. It also seemed that every other handgun giveaway was a Wilson.

Thanks for the clarification.... ;)

I wish George would get back into the custom gun business. He produced some EXCELLENT work.

I also wish J. Michael Plaxco would 'smith again.

Don't know what George is doing now. J. Michael is still working for S&W as far as I know. Neither probably want the grief of gun plumbing anymore :D

Same buddy with the McCormick pistol, has about 1000 pieces of MCM (McLearn Custom Machines) brass and an original, low mileage MCM pistol. Just pulling those out shows how far the sport came from its infancy.

Rich

• 12 years later...

If it makes you feel any better, I appreciated the 13 year old thread bump - probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and I do enjoy seeing what the veterans of the sport have to say, especially their personal race gun progressions/advancement :D

• 6 months later...

I started shooting Competition in 1979 with a Colt 1911 in 45acp with H&G 68 200gr lead bullets (cast

myself), using WW231 powder and 18 1/2# recoil springs.  Only God knows what my lead level was

back then.  Since then I have gone full circle (except for Optic sighted Open gun) and have returned

to my roots shooting Single Stack again.  I shoot 40sw minor loads because of a shoulder injury that

my doctor does not want to do surgery on and I don't want him to do surgery.  I will be 70 in a few days

and still enjoy shooting; maybe even more now than the early days.......