Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson PM9 Mag cleaning.....

Posvar

Shot my new PM9 yesterday and what a great shooter!!!!! Taking the gun down, cleaning, and reassembly is easy but I am not really familiar with the single stack mag cleaning.

What is the preferred method of cleaning and how often? I want them to run well with out hiccups.

Yesterday I had a couple mags stop feeding after the first round or two and I will be inspecting them and cleaning them. A friend recommended using a 12g bore snake to run through the mags and magwell.

To clarify I was shooting 147 reman loads. Perhaps they are too heavy and/or too long.....

Edited by Posvar

I am currently using a Shadow 2014 CZC Custom for IDPA and will start using the DW some as I am already more comfortable with it. Just want to be sure it feeds well and has minimal issues. Most of my IDPA is indoors with outdoors once a month at this point. This thing shoots so well......it's amazing.

What mags are you using? I have a buddy with a PM9 and the Wilson Combat old style 9mm magazines. He had an issue with it over inserting due to the mag lips bending out of shape. My guess is that the mag lips are a bit thin and when loaded to capacity will eventually start bending. It turned his gun into a jam-o-matic. He checks his mags before and after each match to ensure they are in spec. It's a bit of a hassle and I think he will be purchasing the redesigned Wilson ETM mags.

I would get reliable mags but unfortunately it seems the only way to get reliable 9mm mags that work with your gun is to try a bunch of different ones.

I have a Spartan 9mm which runs fine with the Tripp and Metalform.

Maybe my issue is I'm shooting factory reload 147 grain.

I'm buying a Dillon 650 next week and getting set up. Should I run 124rn instead? I hope to be able to load one round that will run in my shadow as well but that may be a pipe dream

Look into the feedlips for sure. The mag body can pretty easily get spread too wide or squeezed too narrow. I usually see them being too wide. So, I push the follower down a bit and squeeze the mag body with a pair of pliers to ease the sides of the mags a touch closer together.

The gun is one year old with approx 1,200-1,500 rounds through it. I put about 400 over the past two days. Out of the 8 mags I've set aside 4 that are giving me some issues but will be cleaning and inspecting all of them. For IDPA next week I may just use the new Wisom ETM that I have. Is there a break in period that I need to be aware of?

Those are the ones. Just take something and push the follower down a bit in the tube and while keeping it pushed down, squeeze the top of the tube together a bit. Nothing severe, just enough to have them end up a few thousandths closer togeter when you're done.

Should have clarified......I meant the new Wilson mags that I haven't tried yet. I have heard of people letting the springs sit loaded for a bit before use. Wasn't sure if that really did anything.

Ok. I will do that tomorrow as the match is Tuesday. Still have a few other questions about the pm9 but will start a new thread I guess and list all of them at once. Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

POSVAR, my wife's NEW (300 rds.) Pointman runs 147gr Bayou & Hornady handloads @ 1.135 just fine thru the stock DW mags. Haven't tried the ETM's yet but have 5 of them wrapped for X-Mass. Let us know how the ETM's worked.

JD