Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .38 Short Colt

subsonic

I loaded some of my first .38 Short Colts last night. I'm being conservative and using starting 9mm data with similar weight bullets until I get a feel for how this cartridge responds.

The first thing I noticed is that the bullet profiles in .357/.358 are shaped to be seated deeper than .355/.356 designs since they seem to have been designed for longer cases. Obviously this will raise pressures if they are seated to the crimp groove or ogive.

Is there a specific place I can go to see other peoples loads and results?

It looks like a lot of the popular loads use heavy bullets that there is no 9mm data for to begin with.

Why are the heavy bullets so popular?

Sure would be nice if a powder company developed some modern .38SC high pressure data for us...

Most bullets people use do not have a crimp or canulare for the crimp. The 160 coated bullets are a popular bullet due to you do not have to push as hard to make minor.

I have never used 700x so I could not give you any type of load for that. What I use is Vittavoury 320 at 3.2 grains seated at 1.165. Makes about 132 pf. Each revolver will be different and make sure you crono each load and look for signs of pressure

Flattened primers hard extraction.

Just to add I would probably look for slow powders with the larger bullets. I did a quick search and I don't think 700x will work in 38 short colt as it is too fast. Again a search on 38 short colt in the reloading forum will give you lots of information and loads that are used.

The 700x is a good pistol powder for target loads. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Lyman gives 9mm 147gr. bullet with 2.7 of 700x at 803 FPS and 26.700 PSI as a starting load up to 3.3 gr. at 921 FPS and 32,200 PSI. You are looking for around 825 FPS with a 160 gr. I would start at 2.7 or 2.8 and go from there.

I have just started down the 38 Short Colt path. I have been testing Titegroup, Bullseye, and HP-38 with 158 Extreme and 160 BBI bullets. I have a thread on page 2 or 3 of the 9mm/38 reloading section with my previous data and just did some more testing so I will update my thread today or tomorrow with my most recent outcomes.

The short answer from my data is 4.2 of HP-38 under a 160 BBI made a great minor load for me in a brand new 5" 627.

I load on an RCBS Pro2000 and one thing it does very well is meter 700x as low as I want. And the APS strips are nice if you like CCI primers because you can buy them loaded for only pennies more. It pretty much sucks otherwise.

I'm thinkin the 2.7gr and work up plan with 160gr BBI is the direction I'm heading.

I'm thinkin the 2.7gr and work up plan with 160gr BBI is the direction I'm heading.

Be careful with the COL on the Short Colts. With that 160 you will want to start out at a 1.200" COL and work your way down a little at a time if you want it shorter. I don't go below 1.150" with a 160 of that profile. In some loads I have seen that by going just .050" shorter that the velocity went up 75fps. Sometimes a small change will make a big difference.

AultGM, what is your OAL with the 700x/160gr Bayous?

I have a bunch of 700x and would be interested in trying it in the 38 short colt.

I've been using Clay Dot primarily and that works well, but I've been careful to use about a 1.190 -1.200" OAL as it can get spikey if you seat deeper.