Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VEPR 12 for 3 gun

greatlakes08

Bill,

Not so much, at least in my experience. A lot of the tuning was very specific to the idiosyncrasies of Akdal mags, specifically the contour of the feed lips which stock have too steep a drop of as you move forward on the mag as well as ideal feed lip dimensions to keep the shell high enough as it is stripped off the magazine.

I have searched on the forum and can't find much mention of the VEPR 12. Can anybody give me feedback on performance/reliability?

I had a Saiga which was never really reliable is the VEPR a huge improvement?

Yes. Definitely more reliable than Saiga. Have 3 buddies who run them for 3gun.

When I got mine, I had some stoppages testing with various ammo early on. Then I ran a box of heavy shot (Rem 1330fps 1.25 oz #6s) through and that seemed to get it broken in. It's been reliable with Win AAs and Rem STS #7.5s at 1300fps in matches past two months. Have been unwilling to risk going lighter as weather's been pretty cold.

You might have to tweak the SGM mags a bit, clearancing where they come in contact with rivet heads inside Vepr magwell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I run a VEPR12 in 3 gun with 20 round custom mags, R&R coupler and spring, Carolina Shooter Supply GK01 copy brake, and have had a terrific experience. The only trouble i have had has been when i tried running a lighter recoil spring with my custom mags. The spring tension in the mag was greater than the recoil sping so it wouldnt reliably chamber a shell. Since i went back to stock, full power springs and 1300fps shells she is good to go. Great gun....

We build both VEPR and SAIGA platform for competition. I prefer the VEPR and have shot of 25K rounds through my mine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207700765467147&set=a.10201087328175348.1073741830.1532925428&type=3&theater

Hey OpenLife, What is that handguard???? custom for your customer or do you sell them?

Its Open. Nothing runs 100% :roflol::roflol:

So true

I'd put any of my open guns against any gun out there, especially my SG- MKA 1919.

As an RO , I see more NON -open guys with SG malfunctions and AR problems , granted much of the time it's ammo related.

But then again the majority of gun malfunctions are. I never understood guys who try and shoot the cheapest ammo they can find at a match. Practice OK, but a Major ? ? ? ? ?

Its Open. Nothing runs 100% :roflol::roflol:

So true

I'd put any of my open guns against any gun out there, especially my SG- MKA 1919.

As an RO , I see more NON -open guys with SG malfunctions and AR problems , granted much of the time it's ammo related.

But then again the majority of gun malfunctions are. I never understood guys who try and shoot the cheapest ammo they can find at a match. Practice OK, but a Major ? ? ? ? ?

Well, to your point a confession. My 1919 would not run a single complete stage at MG Nats last year. Not one. Felt like the bolt was dragging. Lets just say I was less than enthralled. I was new to the platform and thought "sucky gun". Had a good buddy of mine do some work on it which definitely improved its performance. Shot several hundred trouble free rounds through it and decided to clean it. Cleaning done, back together and..... the bolt is dragging again. WTF? Then I remember my buddy said to be very careful not to overtighten the handguard retention nut. I loosened the nut up to where it was just snug and locked it down with the allen nut and bingo.... cycles like butter.

Clearly the cause of my troubles in Vegas were not the gun's fault but that of poor maintenance/prep with a "tighter is better" mindset.

Edited by Neomet

Been shooting a 1919 since 2011, I have never not finished a stage due to a malfunction in any gun. I've had 2 optics(1 pistol, 1 rifle) fail during a stage(different stages ) that really sucked.

Broke a part on my 1919, 2 years ago and had to finish the stage pushing the bolt forward, That's about it.

We build both VEPR and SAIGA platform for competition. I prefer the VEPR and have shot of 25K rounds through my mine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207700765467147&set=a.10201087328175348.1073741830.1532925428&type=3&theater

Hey OpenLife, What is that handguard???? custom for your customer or do you sell them?

The handguard in my personal VEPR is a prototype w/ keymod. We have been trying hard to solve the VEPR 12 handguard problem. Hopefully I will have some news soon.

Flatland Shooter wrote:

A while back Firebird Precision made some YouTube videos on tuning MKA 1919 magazines. I would think, since they are all 12 gauge, the procedure for tuning a Vepr 12 magazine would be similar.

Bill

Firebird Precision (Jim and Nanci) make some great products. I recently purchased one of their TAC-12a shotguns. It really works for me; especially with their adjustable stock. If you take it out to "Sporting Clays", you do get a lot of "What the heck is that?" questions. :goof:

Ranger6

PS - Firebird are strong supporters of our sport!

• 4 months later...

I run a VEPR12 in 3 gun with 20 round custom mags, R&R coupler and spring, Carolina Shooter Supply GK01 copy brake, and have had a terrific experience. The only trouble i have had has been when i tried running a lighter recoil spring with my custom mags. The spring tension in the mag was greater than the recoil sping so it wouldnt reliably chamber a shell. Since i went back to stock, full power springs and 1300fps shells she is good to go. Great gun....

Where did you get your 20 round mags from or did you build them yourself?

OpenLife (Mike Whitesides) from Dissident Arms will get you taken care of with some tuned 20 rounders. They take some work to get running if you build them on your own. Get them off of Dissident Arms and you will be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...