Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VEPR 12 for 3 gun

greatlakes08

I've had 2 Sagia's and 2 Vepr's. Both Saiga's had to have the barrel pulled and the gas ports opened, NOT so with either Vepr. The cheek weld on the Vepr folding/fixed stock didn't work for me..I kept tthe plastic stock version. For reliable performance with the 12 rd SGM Vepr mag your going to have to use 1300 fps x1 1/8 oz. ammo. That said, there is a R&R Saiga shooter at our match's, that thing runs like a top with the R&R 23 rd. mag...HE told me he has to use1400+ fps for about 4/5 shells to get the mag to run 100%. Even with lot's of bolt polishing on the Vepr, I sometimes have difficulty inserting a full 12 rd. mag during competition...BUT this could just be my inherent clumsiness?. Nuts and bolts...The Vepr's are a better buy, full of inspection stamps, (at least someone looked at while is was being manufactured, the Saiga's are rougher)..

VEPRs are pretty solid and can be set up for 3-Gun to run reliably although like any gun, there's preventative maintenance that will go a long way. The 10 and 20 round mags are pretty robust but if they get dropped in sand you would want to clean them, just like any other magazine.

The VEPR I shot had a slick comp that worked great with 1350 fps Double A's. The dot barely wiggled and cleaning a plate rack...there aren't many things that can make you smile like that. The guy that let me shoot his open guns does great work greatlakes08.

90% of russian Open shooters are running Veprs.

New shooters are buying factory competition-ready VPO-205SP version. It has muzzlebreak, collapsible stock, magwell, magazine release, competition trigger job, picatinny rail cover, competition gasblock with pass-thru cleaning, crossbolt safety button etc.

http://molot-guns.com/smoothbore-gun/vpo-205-00-sp

Price - 69000 roubles, that's $1050 dollars. Only thing you need to add is a red-dot and some extra 10-round magazines.

Else you can have Saiga-340. Price is about the same.

http://www.miroh.ru/gladkostvolnoe-oruzhie?productID=1233755

New shooters are buying factory competition-ready VPO-205SP version. It has muzzlebreak, collapsible stock, magwell, magazine release, competition trigger job, picatinny rail cover, competition gasblock with pass-thru cleaning, crossbolt safety button etc.

Price - 69000 roubles, that's $1050 dollars. Only thing you need to add is a red-dot and some extra 10-round magazines.

My Russian is horrible. Can you point me to the "buy now" button?? On a serious note though I'm curious what sort of modifications are being done to the Veprs and how reliable they are. One of my friends runs a Vepr which is fairly stock and it seems to be pretty reliable. Not 100%, but arguably better than my Akdal.

You have to do a little "dancing" to be 922 compliant ...that is, to be 922 legal for using 10/12 round mags..( You will read that many poopa the 922 rule, I wouldn't BECAUSE it a "law", compliance actually makes the Vepr better.). Most use the Tapco single hook trigger setup. You will need to blend in the hammer parts and polish the same (not hard to do). Polish the bolt etc., add a USA puck and I believe that's it at the present time....Your reward will be a great trigger. I use the Dremel, polishing pads, and the "green" polishing stick (any rock shop store item). UTube should have all the info...Have fun!!!!

Llandaff, do you know how the left side charge handles are attached? Do they just weld them on, or drill and tap a hole?

Thanks

This is my Vepr I am going to use next year. The stock adapter, dot mount, and brake are still in the rough, and fabricated by me. I printed the mag coupler and follower. I wish we could purchase the Russian version above!

Wow, I like the magazine. How many rounds does it hold? Where did you find the magazine spring for something that long?

Bill

We build both VEPR and SAIGA platform for competition. I prefer the VEPR and have shot of 25K rounds through my mine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207700765467147&set=a.10201087328175348.1073741830.1532925428&type=3&theater

I have seen Mike's Saiga's and Vepr's run and next to my T&N MKA1919 it is one of the best open shotguns around. Fast, flat, and reliable, they do great work.

gerritm

This is my Vepr I am going to use next year. The stock adapter, dot mount, and brake are still in the rough, and fabricated by me. I printed the mag coupler and follower. I wish we could purchase the Russian version above!

Wow, I like the magazine. How many rounds does it hold? Where did you find the magazine spring for something that long?

Bill

It holds 26. I used the tooth and nail 25 round spring. It really seems to be a quality spring. It was wound square and would not work quite right with the stock follower. It is 2 sgm mags coupled butt to butt. I printed a cover to protect the end not on use. And I got tried of people asking me if you would load it off both ends! I would ask them why would you want to do a mag change with the same mag? Oh well.

Its Open. Nothing runs 100% :roflol::roflol:

Lol This. I've seen veprs work a machine gun but also I've seen them turn into pump guns.

Been shooting an MKA 1919 for 3+ years, NEVER not finished a stage, or match, because of a malfunction. The worst problem I've had was a user induced double feed.

I see way more stoppages in rifles , in ALL divisions , than I see specific Open gear failing. As in most racing sports, it's 98% user error that knocks them out of the game.

A recent example, a guy at a match was having problems with his shotgun ( he'd owned it for 4 years) he put it together wrong when he cleaned it the day before the match.

Yet the WHOLE match he was blaming "that POS shotgun" for ruining his match. REALLY ? ? ? ? ? :rolleyes:

Bill

It holds 26. I used the tooth and nail 25 round spring. It really seems to be a quality spring. It was wound square and would not work quite right with the stock follower. It is 2 sgm mags coupled butt to butt. I printed a cover to protect the end not on use. And I got tried of people asking me if you would load it off both ends! I would ask them why would you want to do a mag change with the same mag?

Is the coupler used to mate the two magazines available to purchase?

Any chance you could post a close up photo of the coupler?

Thanks,

Bill