Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 - cases sometimes catching on resizing die

Sarge - great news!  I tried 200 rounds session with what you described, and now I only had 3 crushed cases.  This is very acceptable for me.  I was using Redding die, and next I will put on the Dillon die and hopefully there won't be any crushed cases. 

The key seems to tighten the shell plate bolt to the exact spec.  I experimented with hand tighten the bolt with no dial back, 1-2mm dial back and 1/8 turn dial back.  The best result is to just hand tighten the bolt with no dial back at all.  Even with the lock screw tightened, I feel the shell plate gets loosed up a bit after 100 rounds.  Maybe just the bearing getting warmed up.  The plate needs to be rather hard to rotate by hand.  The clicks are still there, but they don't produce that much vibration anymore.  That's what a tightened shell plate does I suppose.  Thanks Sarge!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dazhi said:

Sarge - great news!  I tried 200 rounds session with what you described, and now I only had 3 crushed cases.  This is very acceptable for me.  I was using Redding die, and next I will put on the Dillon die and hopefully there won't be any crushed cases. 

The key seems to tighten the shell plate bolt to the exact spec.  I experimented with hand tighten the bolt with no dial back, 1-2mm dial back and 1/8 turn dial back.  The best result is to just hand tighten the bolt with no dial back at all.  Even with the lock screw tightened, I feel the shell plate gets loosed up a bit after 100 rounds.  Maybe just the bearing getting warmed up.  The plate needs to be rather hard to rotate by hand.  The clicks are still there, but they don't produce that much vibration anymore.  That's what a tightened shell plate does I suppose.  Thanks Sarge!

👍 happy to help and I’m always just a PM away if needed.