Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
bozrdang

XL 650 - cases sometimes catching on resizing die

Taking the pins out of the tool head definitely helped. Does Dillon provide the alignment tool for free?

They gave me one when I asked.

If you have to remove the pins holding the tool head on to make your press run right there is a problem. I would video the difference in operation and email it to Dillon.

I have had the same problem. Tighten shell plate enough not to bind it up where it still is free. Next clean and lube feeder slide plate. May have to adjust rod on feeder. If it's not adjusted enough it will not push cases on shell plate correctly. This was my issue. As you use the 650 more more adjustments need to be made. It's not a serious issue.

Hey Everyone--this is an old problem that I solved years ago....

I'm surprised no one that I've helped has chimed in but maybe they're not that active here anymore....so here goes:

When I decided to do something about this issue I did an inspection of the shell plate and the die head.

It seems the centerline of the shellplate brass locations are VERY Consistent and the centerline of the die head die threads ARE NOT! The dies are actually closer to center than the shellplate.

Following Dillon's instructions about setting the dies will allow you to only get them perfectly aligned IF(YES IF) you have a "Good" die head that will allow it.

So if you have anything in the shellplate that will affect the location of the brass(dirt,powder,etc) you WILL have an issue getting good alignment on station 1.

I am a machinist so my fix was to take the the shellplate brass location numbers and make a new billet die head that moves the dies OUTWARD on all stations but even more so on station 1.

This is such a simple fix that I expected Dillon to make a simple machining number change but apparently they never did.

I sold a bunch of die heads locally and some online years ago but I don't have any left.

I know there are some aftermarket die heads out there but I don't know what they use for die locations.

NOTE: When you tighten down the shellplate bolt set screw, watch what happens to the shellplate. It is forced to the right making the problem worse....

NOTE: MY testing was done with the pot-metal crappy die heads so I can't comment the the newer billet ones I think Dillon makes.

NOTE: Local 650 user sent his back to be aligned and it did NOTHING for the station 1 problem.

I know it's a PITA but you might want to measure all your die heads and use the ones with the die threads furthest outward on station 1 for pistol.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Nick

fastshooter 03

i have one of your toolheads that i use for supercomp ,it has been a very good fix for the mis alinement on the resizing station.

The whidden toolheads seem to have the die centre lines in the right spot. They have the option of using bolts instead of pins and if they weren't lined up properly it'd be a nightmare. My bolted whidden toolhead runs super smooth.

I have been through most of these fixes over time, usually would make it better but would seem to soon be back.

As mentioned by most, it usually was just a little bit off and always to the outside, so I installed a small air blow just below the sizing die mouth. Just a very little air flow to rock the case as it comes up to the die. It also had an added benefit of keeping loose powder off the shell plate.

The whidden toolheads seem to have the die centre lines in the right spot. They have the option of using bolts instead of pins and if they weren't lined up properly it'd be a nightmare. My bolted whidden toolhead runs super smooth.

So the whidden pretty much fixes this prob. Have a whidden sitting in drawer should I switch over. It still happens to me but only about 1 in every 100 or do.

Hey Vernbo, glad things are going great for you!

IDK if anyone here has seen the floating die head design for the 650 but that is also a really need modification to help make better ammo.

IDK what the name of the place was, but they put roll pins in the die head and cut slots in the die rings so that the dies float in the threads.

I did something similar by putting roll pins on the die rings and holes in the die head.

It's pretty amazing to watch the dies tilt and move as you are loading!

Nick

It's whidden that makes the floating die toolheads too.

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/floating-dillon-toolheads/

Dirtychevy: it was only ever an intermittent problem for me but its never been a problem with the whidden clamped heads I use.

I bought mine from uniqutek which come fitted with helicoils and bolts so you can bolt it down instead of using the pins. From memory the regular cnc head is only $35 and about $10 more for the bolted version.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333

It's whidden that makes the floating die toolheads too.

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/floating-dillon-toolheads/

Dirtychevy: it was only ever an intermittent problem for me but its never been a problem with the whidden clamped heads I use.

I bought mine from uniqutek which come fitted with helicoils and bolts so you can bolt it down instead of using the pins. From memory the regular cnc head is only $35 and about $10 more for the bolted version.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333

Thanks BeerBaron gonna check it out tonight.

Just talked to gentleman at uniquetek about the whidden tool head already with clamp kit on it. Just ordered 4 for my 650s and 4 mic for powder drop also with 4 baffles. Great guy and sounds like great products. Thanks BeerBaron

I have a whidden. The only minor drawback is you can't put lock rings underneath when using a LEE or EGW sizer like you can with a Dillon head. They are thinner and the rings will hit the frame

Ugh

Edited by Sarge

forums are slow. Doubled

Edited by Sarge

Been doing some research on this egw die. Some are saying it crushes cases a lot. They use the Lee bulge buster first than run the cases through the Dillon resize die on press. Says it's a better method for match Ammo. Don't want to spend the money for egw die if it crushes cases.

Been doing some research on this egw die. Some are saying it crushes cases a lot. They use the Lee bulge buster first than run the cases through the Dillon resize die on press. Says it's a better method for match Ammo. Don't want to spend the money for egw die if it crushes cases.

That's BS.. I can run 1200 an hour on 650 with a Udie. No crushed cases if you set things up right.

Even if you crushed the occasional case somehow the Udie is only around 20 bucks. That's far cheaper and easier than running brass twice with one being on a single stage press. 3 times if you deprime before bulge busting to get best results. You have to learn to filter out the BS when you do research

That's BS.. I can run 1200 an hour on 650 with a Udie. No crushed cases if you set things up right.

Even if you crushed the occasional case somehow the Udie is only around 20 bucks. That's far cheaper and easier than running brass twice with one being on a single stage press. 3 times if you deprime before bulge busting to get best results. You have to learn to filter out the BS when you do research

Yeah trying to do that, but damn it's like starting over to reload 40. Been reloading for 10 years and thought it would be just like others. But people using different methods and I don't want to start off with the wrong stuff and ruin my new limited pistol.

What would be the best setup to reload 40 with a Dillon 650. Have everything ordered from Dillon, conv, toolhead kit and 40 dies coming. Maybe getting the Whidden clamped toolhead from uniquetek they say it's worth it, but as far as the u dies go need help. Basically for all 650 stuff I need. And if I go with u die dies it replace the Dillon die in stage one and everything else stays the same. BEST SET UP FOR 650 NEEDED.

My personal preference is lee dies.

Reasons:

Cheaper

Size die sizes lower to ectractor groove than dillon

Seat die has a insert that doesn't mark up bullets (the dillon stem does sometimes mark up bullet nose)

Seat die is easy to adjust. Like a micrometer type die

Factory crimp die post sizes the whole case

Powder funnel/expander is easier to adjust than the dillon and seems to work better with bullet feeder.

So for me I'd buy the lee 4 die set for 40. Use the Dillon powder measure (will need the dillon powder funnel which comes with calibre conversion).

I'd only use the egw/lee u die if you find you are getting case gauge failures (fat rounds) or bullet setback (not enough neck tension).

The Dillon dies are nicely made. Have a clever way to remove the inserts but the size die has the sizing ring recessed which is why it doesn't size as low.

I also prefer the decapping pin in the lee over the sprung version in the Dillon dies.

I do use lee dies with whidden clamped toolheads and have no problem crushing cases. Caveat being I'm not currently loading 40. I have before though and didn't find anything radically different than other pistol calibres.

I've also run 9mm and 38 super in my 650 at over 1000 rph with the clamped whidden head and lee dies. With the heads being clamped there's no wiggle room so if anything would crush cases that would but it runs like a sewing machine.

Edited by BeerBaron

Yeah trying to do that, but damn it's like starting over to reload 40. Been reloading for 10 years and thought it would be just like others. But people using different methods and I don't want to start off with the wrong stuff and ruin my new limited pistol.

What would be the best setup to reload 40 with a Dillon 650. Have everything ordered from Dillon, conv, toolhead kit and 40 dies coming. Maybe getting the Whidden clamped toolhead from uniquetek they say it's worth it, but as far as the u dies go need help. Basically for all 650 stuff I need. And if I go with u die dies it replace the Dillon die in stage one and everything else stays the same. BEST SET UP FOR 650 NEEDED.

Since you have already bought the dies just go with those for now. 40 is prone to glock bulge though so make sure to chamber check every round unless you want a death jam. Two ways to handle glock bulge if your Dillon dues don't cure it. Either push through size or get a LEE die or LEE/EGW Udie.