Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 - cases sometimes catching on resizing die

After reading some of the post on this thread I decided to get 2 uniquetek Whidden clamped toolheads for my 650. Man I hope their product is worth the wait cause it's been 2 weeks and no products yet. After spending about 250 bucks on there products you would think you would get better customer service. Talked to Lee and I guess his wife on 2 occasions and still nothing. Seems like they don't know what the hell is going on. One says it shipped last Friday and Lee as of today has no clue what's going on at his company from what I am hearing. I hope others that have ordered from uniquetek have had better dealings than me. I like doing business with the smaller companies but this is a joke.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I dealt with them it was great. They even signed on to sponsor my state match and were very generous and attentive throughout the entire process. Uniquetek is very highly regarded in the shooting industry

Every time I dealt with them it was great. They even signed on to sponsor my state match and were very generous and attentive throughout the entire process. Uniquetek is very highly regarded in the shooting industry

Man sarge I hope I am just the exception. I know their products are really good that's why I ordered do much from them, but I flipped through the cracks on this one. Lee still hadn't called me back yet today about order. Hopefully it's just a shipping area but 2 weeks is a long time for no answers.

Finally got a email last night that they were shipped. Hopefully they are worth the wait. They seemed like very nice people just dropped the ball on this one. It happens just didn't like the idk what happened stories. Well it's on it's way will see how nice their products are.

Wow, this is a great thread!

I'm still running my 9mm with the pins out and it runs flawlessly. Can't believe I put up with the constant jams for two years. I read about the aligning tool, but I couldn't figure out what could be moved to make the adjustment. I stumbled apon a YouTube video that shows the process. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxe8xt_u1NI It appears there's a couple of bolts under the shell plate that has enough play to allow the assembly to move around. I just sent an email to Dillon asking them to send me the tool.

I also like the lubrication video listed above. That's a great help.

Thanks!!!!

Wow, this is a great thread!

I'm still running my 9mm with the pins out and it runs flawlessly. Can't believe I put up with the constant jams for two years. I read about the aligning tool, but I couldn't figure out what could be moved to make the adjustment. I stumbled apon a YouTube video that shows the process. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxe8xt_u1NI It appears there's a couple of bolts under the shell plate that has enough play to allow the assembly to move around. I just sent an email to Dillon asking them to send me the tool.

I also like the lubrication video listed above. That's a great help.

Thanks!!!!

Absolutely no offense meant to you but God that video was painful to watch! Great shots of the guy's shirt through the the first half and not only does he call many of the parts by their wrong names, he even refers to using his right hand when he's clearly using his left! Still, he does have the process correct. :roflol:

Just finished setting up uniquetek Whidden tool head clamped. Man very nice. Set it up just like members said and wow. Consistency with no issues. Dillon sizer Lee seater and crimp was used for dies. 20 test rds bayou Bullets 180gr

All 20 except 1 were OAL 1.181

All 20 except 2 were crimp .422.

All I can say is wow.

I just got a batch of once fired Federal 45 acp and started depriming it for wet processing. I started having feeding issues - about every tenth or twelfth case. Re aligned the press with the Dillon tool, first time it's been done since new back in the early 90's. What a difference! Feeding problem disappeared and I was depriming at a rate of over 50 cases a minute! Of course depriming is a lot different than actually reloading, but still.

• 1 month later...

I got the alignment tool and it appears I needed to rotate the assembly clockwise. I moved it as far as it would go, but it was still dragging a little. I guess I could disassemble everything again and try to open up the bolt holes a bit, or I could try buying a new tool head, or perhaps send it back to Dillon. On the other hand, I've now run thousands and thousands of rounds through it (all 9mm) without the pins, and everything has run perfect. I'm thinking I should stop wasting time and just run it. Think it's worth the effort? If so why? Thanks

• 5 months later...

I recently got a Mr Bullet Feeder.  The 650 had been running smooth without pins for a long time, but I think the bullet feed spring tube was pulling the tool head out a bit causing jams again.  I finally drilled new pin holes while pushing in on the tool head and everything runs fine now.  Should have done this long ago.  If you do this go slow and clean the aluminum out of the drill bit often to avoid breaking it off in your machine.  

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Had the same annoying problem with a Lee resizing die sizing 9 mm, even with a fine adjusted 650.

the very small radius on the mouth of the Lee die don't exept a little tilting of the case.

this does not appear with a Dillon resizing die, as the radius on that die is much bigger, but due this big radius it's not resizing as far down to the extractor die as a Lee die. As the chamber of my 9 mm is very narrow I prefer to use the Lee die, but to prevent blocking the press I modified the resizing die.

Sins this simple modification, witch centers the inside of the case, never had a case hitting the die mouth.

leedil.jpg

On 9/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, inventive said:

Hi all,

Had the same annoying problem with a Lee resizing die sizing 9 mm, even with a fine adjusted 650.

the very small radius on the mouth of the Lee die don't exept a little tilting of the case.

this does not appear with a Dillon resizing die, as the radius on that die is much bigger, but due this big radius it's not resizing as far down to the extractor die as a Lee die. As the chamber of my 9 mm is very narrow I prefer to use the Lee die, but to prevent blocking the press I modified the resizing die.

Sins this simple modification, witch centers the inside of the case, never had a case hitting the die mouth.

leedil.jpg

So what exactly did you do?

It would appear he has designed a collar that replaces the collar that retains the decapping pin (or goes over the existing collar) that causes the case to line up with the die by funneling the case mouth from the inside. 

Like he says it would help alligning the case in station 1 if you were using a resizing die that was tight at the bottom (lee or U die) as opposed to the dillon which had a taper/radius there to ease case insertion/alignment.

1 hour ago, caspian guy said:

It would appear he has designed a collar that replaces the collar that retains the decapping pin (or goes over the existing collar) that causes the case to line up with the die by funneling the case mouth from the inside. 

Like he says it would help alligning the case in station 1 if you were using a resizing die that was tight at the bottom (lee or U die) as opposed to the dillon which had a taper/radius there to ease case insertion/alignment.

Thanks, I get the same occasional problem, using the U die, but found if I slow down, make sure the roller handle is pushed forward the whole way and not short cycling, the problem stops.

Edited by vluc

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, inventive said:

Hi all,

leedil.jpg

That is a great idea. I know you posted dimesions but if you crank out a small batch at a reasonable price I am sure you'd sell quick. My last loading session I crushed 2 cases and a couple on the session before that. I know brass is cheap but having to stop and waste my time is frustrating.

25 minutes ago, mikeinctown said:

That is a great idea. I know you posted dimesions but if you crank out a small batch at a reasonable price I am sure you'd sell quick. My last loading session I crushed 2 cases and a couple on the session before that. I know brass is cheap but having to stop and waste my time is frustrating.

I agree, I'd buy.  Not mechanically inclined that way.

On ‎20‎-‎9‎-‎2017 at 9:03 PM, mikeinctown said:

1) Parts (spring, center bush and snap ring ) would be only a few USD, but sending from the Netherlands to the US would probably cost 5 times the value of the parts.

2) And still there has to be made a groove in the existing de-capping pin for a snapring who prevent that the center bush falls out.

Afbeelding (57).jpg

• 10 months later...

Besides Dillon 9mm die, which other die will eliminate or reduce the case crushing issue?  I am using Lee die and it's been a headache.  Aligned toolhead with the Dillon alignment tool, plus all other suggestions here but same result. I think it's time to change the die. 

I'm running into this problem now. Love the U-DIE...between that and FCD, it's cut my failures to chamber gauge from about 3% to effectively 0. However, the 9mm case sometimes catches on the edge of the sizing die. Even if it doesn't stop the stroke and only delays it, the case dropping down from the case feeder sometimes doesn't align with the feed chute, causing the press to bind on it - so I have to poke the fed case back inline with the chute to be able to complete the stroke. Very annoying. Slowing down helps, but does not eliminate. Now I see the wide mouthed Dillon sizing die with the funneled edge was just masking imperfect alignment. I hate to go back. I ordered a Whidden toolhead with the uniquetech clamp, but I read that it's thinner so you cannot use lock rings on the bottom - which I have to do on my FCD because it threads down too deeply to use a lock ring up top. I tried re-aligning the sizing die with the shellplate fully raised and a case in station 1, but it didn't help.

Edited by OptimiStick

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2016 at 5:21 PM, bozrdang said:

Update - so I got the Dillon alignment tool and realigned the machine. I also purchased a Whidden tool head and installed it and still no improvement. I made sure my bench is level and even shimmed either side of the machine a quarter inch to see if it made any difference. Nothing seems to change it. I also just started reloading 45 ACP so I am now using a different shell plate than the 9mm in my OP.

I've manged to make a video showing the case deflecting into the resizing die. And that is with me carefully pushing the base of the case all the way into the shell plate with my finger. So this represents the best case scenario.

https://youtu.be/feSVBGu2-rU

The movement you see is the top of the case being tilted back towards the center of the tool head. The base is already as far in the shell holder as possible. You can actually hear it falling back down to it's normal resting position when I lower the ram.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Having the same thing with my 650.