Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Cleaning cycle

If you own a Dillon Super 1050 how many rounds do you run between disassembly and cleaning. Generally I have to do this between 800 and 1200 rounds regardless of caliber (223, 9MM, 40 S&W)

I normally don't have a bad powder spill except with the 223. If I do, I stop and vacuum it up.

After cleaning and re-lubing the press will run fine for another 800-1200 rounds. Primer failure is often the problem but not always.

Doing 300BLK conversion I run 9-12k rounds between breaking down and cleaning.

Loading ammo, depends on the powder. This CSB-1 I was loading for 9mm is nasty and I can barely get through 2k rounds without the machine basically stopping running. Titegroup I ran 15k rounds non stop and the machine was fairly clean. I think I vacuumed the shell plate every 5k rounds, but that was it.

Ive had one of my machine's down to the bare frame to fix a bearing that was moving around at 25-30k rounds and everything was pretty clean so I have at least 1 data point on the main frame bearings.

After cleaning and re-lubing the press will run fine for another 800-1200 rounds. Primer failure is often the problem but not always.

That seems awfully premature for cleaning.

I wet tumble my brass, which keeps the amount of dirt/grime down.

I probably do 10K before even thinking about cleaning, when I start processing rifle brass I'll clean each time I switch calibers.

~g

If you own a Dillon Super 1050 how many rounds do you run between disassembly and cleaning. Generally I have to do this between 800 and 1200 rounds regardless of caliber (223, 9MM, 40 S&W)

What do you mean by "I have to do this"?

What do you mean by "I have to do this"?

What he said! ^^^^^

Between 800-1200 rounds the machine will stop. This is due to powder (I regularly brush or vacuum the spilled powder), the primer system jams, or the case feeder is locking up bad enough that I have to pull everything apart clean it and restart .

Per chance, do you have any idea why you are spilling that much powder, enough to stop the machine? 223 and pistol calibers? The 223 I can imagine depending on the powder. Some of the "stick" powders will bridge at the mouth of the case and spill when the tool head is raised. Other than that I am at a loss.

Edited by Pat Miles

Per chance, do you have any idea why you are spilling that much powder, enough to stop the machine? 223 and pistol calibers? The 223 I can imagine depending on the powder. Some of the "stick" powders will bridge at the mouth of the case and spill when the tool head is raised. Other than that I am at a loss.

IMO powder is the main culprit but I have had the press slow down without powder or a primer Jam (it is bound up now, not much powder on the shell plate). It is worse with 223 (fine powders such as TAC go everywhere, I have never loaded a stick powder on the 1050) no I can't define why. In the last 3 days I did order the bearing and ball kit some have had success with. My bench is double thickness of 3/4 plywood, it is attached to the wall. Should I build a bracket to tie the press to the wall?

My work travel will slow over the next month with only one more work trip this year and I hope to sort this out.

Edited by Why1504

Many many thousands before I take one apart. I keep them clean and lubed as I go though.

Kind of like a car engine, the better you are at keeping clean oil in them the less you will have to take them apart and the longer they will last.

If you are having priming system problems in as little as 800-1000 rounds you likely have the knurled knob on the blast shield cranked down too tight. I run mine so loose that the only thing that keeps them from backing off further is the low primer alarm.

Once the little plastic tip is distorted, it's game over for reliable feeding from the tube and time for a new one.

Edited by jmorris

Whatever I did this morning it seams to have gone a long way towards a solution. Over 900 rounds. Zero primer problems only a couple of kernels of powder on the shell plate. I have been going slow. I think I will load another 500 9 MM and see how she loads

1500 rounds with zero failures. It looks like I finally am headed down the right path here.

Only if you know what you did to cause the improvement.

I think it was the smoothing of the primer slide area that made the big difference. I also think I tuned the indexing a bit finer that it was before. This is the first time I had zero primer issues and the machine just ran much smoother.

Glad you got it straightened out, nothing worse than an ill running s1050.

~g

I had similar issues when I first got my 550 a few years back. It never really ran great until I completely disassembled the machine. I also disassembled the machine yesterday and carefully lubed the whole machine. I know the complete tear down insured all the moving parts were lubed to the same degree. Edited by Why1504