Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF for 9mm Plated

frankge

Hi all,

Looking for a WSF minor load for 9mm Glock 17/34. I'm using Xtreme plated 124's. I've done a good bit of searching and the loads are all over the map. I figured that 5.5g would do it. Please no other powder suggestions I have 8lbs I want to burn up. I normally shoot Limited and save the better powder for that.

Thanks!

I've shot 124 gr. jacketed HPs with WSF, but not plated.

My load, through a Glock 17 was:

5.0 gr. WSF

1.10 OAL

124 gr PD JHP (it's a long 9mm bullet, probably longer than the Xtremes)

CCI SP

Speer brass

I was averaging about 1,070 - 1,080 fps with that load.

Do you have to use 124gr? We run 3.3gr WSF behind 147gr Bayou (coated). This goes about 900 fps, 132PF or so. I suppose it might be about the same with plated. This is out of our 9mm 1911s. I load to 1.11" OAL for no better reason than it works; our 1911 would chamber anything fro 1.08 to 1.16 with the FP bullets.

Just started loading WSF with my 9mm Bayou 124gr RN coated Bullets for a 4.5" barrel CZ, and with 4.9gr averaged about 1115fps. Still need to do some adjusting. WSF is all I've got. It works fine, but I've always wanted to try something with a higher burn rate for reduction of perceived recoil cleaner burning. Never had the opportunity to try the favorites.

Just started loading WSF with my 9mm Bayou 124gr RN coated Bullets for a 4.5" barrel CZ, and with 4.9gr averaged about 1115fps. Still need to do some adjusting. WSF is all I've got. It works fine, but I've always wanted to try something with a higher burn rate for reduction of perceived recoil cleaner burning. Never had the opportunity to try the favorites.

All I could get a year ago was WSF to support my wife and I shooting SC. 147gr coated with 3.3gr WSF gave us a softer load that was reliable, albeit dirty, in our 9mm 1911s. I now have some N320 and I'm working with 115gr coated. Working in the 3.6-3.8gr range is definitely softer than I could get to with WSF, but I'm below 125PF. At 3.7gr the sights hardly deflect. Does seem a bit cleaner than WSF, but in either case I'm down at the dirty end of the range.

I run 4.6 wsf with a 125gr jhp, avg 1038fps out of a G34

That was at 100deg ambient though per my notes. It'll be a little quicker in the winter.

You know barrels vary quite a bit, somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 lies your answer. You're just gonna have to chrono some.

take care

Kevn

• 11 months later...

Hi I am relatively new to hand loading.  But I swear my WSF powder load is way too snappy.  I am loading Extreme 124G plated, 4.5 WSF, 1.169OAL.  This is considerably more snappy, more recoil, etc than when I fire my factory defensive hollow points out of the box  What am I doing wrong?  Should I drop it down to 4.0 grains or less.