Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring loaded decapping/sizing die for rifle

slavex

The Dillon de-capping/sizing dies for pistol calibers have a spring on the top that compresses on the upstroke of the ram (550/650) and releases with a snap at the end of the stroke to kick the spent primer off the tip of the de-capping pin. Never seen one on any rifle dies, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm not familiar with the SD press, so I don't know if they are made the same way or not as the regular Dillon dies.

An odd arrangement. The primers won't reseat themselves in the primer pocket on the upstroke of the lever anyway.

Different strokes...

They will if they stick to the de-capping pin. It pulls them back into the pocket.

An odd arrangement. The primers won't reseat themselves in the primer pocket on the upstroke of the lever anyway.

Sure they will, multiple threads in these forums complaining of that very issue.

From Dillon, just the pistol dies (Dillon refers to them as "Dynamic" in reference to the snap spring decap assembly. The rifle dies are of a more traditional design, I don't see how you could do a spring loaded version with the neck sizing/expanding ball.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/dillon_die_instructions_may_2007.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

RCBS?

I think I have an older set of 243 or 7-30 Waters dies from RCBS where the decapping pin is spring loaded. I know their old 45 and 9mm dies had the spring loaded decapping pin.

Call or email RCBS.

No need for the spring loaded decapping for the rifle. Take a file and sharpen the end of the decaying pin...sort of like a chisel cut. Maybe 5 or 6 strokes across 4 sides....it won't mushroom out and you'll never pull a spent primer back into the pocket again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving this necropost

Still nothing on the market as far as I can tell. I've got a few tubs of 9mm that are just ruining my life right now. All crimped primer pockets, and even the spring loaded Dillon setup is giving me no joy. Primers are sticking to the decapping pin in large numbers. Thankfully the Mark VII stops, and I just jog down to get it knock it out, but man. I'd do just about anything for a universal die that was powered in some way to knock the primer off the tip of the pin. 

On 12/11/2017 at 1:47 PM, slavex said:

Reviving this necropost

Still nothing on the market as far as I can tell. I've got a few tubs of 9mm that are just ruining my life right now. All crimped primer pockets, and even the spring loaded Dillon setup is giving me no joy. Primers are sticking to the decapping pin in large numbers. Thankfully the Mark VII stops, and I just jog down to get it knock it out, but man. I'd do just about anything for a universal die that was powered in some way to knock the primer off the tip of the pin. 

Sounds like federal primers. They can be the worst. But I ground my pins to a hypo point and have not had a primer stick in years.

You take one of the bent/broken Dillon decapping pins, remove the bent pin from the crown, file the stub down square.

Drop the Lyman pin into the decap stem cap, drop the Dillon crown on top (acts as a spacer) and then reassemble.

The picture shows the order.

The Lyman pin P/N is 7837786

fGYP3Va.jpg

Edited by RePete

ah, and that means I'm sizing in station 2, which I don't want to do, I just want to decap. Need a spring loaded universal decapping die. something that took the DIllon rod would be great. Maybe I'll see if I can pull out the sizing insert in one of my dies, or machine one out.