Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The View Out My Backdoor...

BigDave

I have another hobby in that I keep nishikigoi. They are a colored Japanese carp that some refer to as koi. These fish and the bird that you posted a picture of don't get along. My fish just like to swim and those birds think that my ornamental fish are dinner. I've heard those birds don't like the taste of lead, whether it comes from a 9mm minor a a major 12 gauge load.

I wouldn't know from experience because those birds are also protected by federal migratory game bird laws. But they are not welcome in my neighborhood - you keep them wherever that may be.

In between shooting I am trying to finish my pond that I started last year. It's 36X12X8'. A 10 X 12 section of it is just for filters called a filter house and the 24X12'X8' will be over 15,000 gallons of water. It will have 4 pumps to run the system and 4 seperate filter systems. I can get goofy about these fish as I do about guns. Strange combination I know, but watching the fish is an experience in relaxation like I have never known. Been doing the fish thing since '95 and it still pleases me. I travel with the fish to fish shows like people would to dog shows. OK, I'll stop talking about fish on this board and talk about guns again. :unsure:

Rick

That's what the city thought too. Believe it or not the pond isn't taxable, but a swimming pool is very much taxable. It is just for the fish no people. The sides are totally verticle for predator discouragement. If one of the egrets or herons etc even takes a step in the pond they are in 8' of water right now. There is no fishing ledge for the birds to stand on or a raccon for that matter.

It's fairly extreme with two 12" bottom drains that have aerators on the top of them, 2 4" midlevel drains on the side of the walls, and 2 skimmers on the top. The filtration will be feed water from the bottom, middle and top of the water column. There are twelve tangenial pond returns: they are kind of like pool jets without the restriction of flow and more water movement. This will cause currents in the pond so that it is self cleaning to a certain extent. The whole thing is made with rebar and cement block. I started out with 10 pallets of block last year and hand laid each one of those wonderful concrete building units 90% by myself. There is horizontal rebar on every other course of block and verticle rebar every 8" for the whole perimeter. The floor will be rebar on 8" centers and a total of 10" thick. If I die I want to come back as one of my fish. There food comes shipped in from Japan and if you ever saw anyone baby a dog those dogs have nothing on my babies. They eat from your hand and the largest is about 28". They are inside of the house now in a very small 1000 gallon system in the basement. When they get into 15,000 gallons they should really take off. 32" fish are not uncommon and they live 30+ years even though legends say up to 200+ years, but that is mythology.

Don't get me going too much on ponds or I will talk your head off. There are 3 great web sites that I would suggest for those of you that might have an interest: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/

http://www.koicommunity.com/forums/index.php

http://www.koimag.com/

I trade fish related answers for good weapon info. :P

I enjoy having fish around too but I go about it the econo route. I've got a 10 gallon aquarium on my kitchen counter that contains a 4" bream named Leroy who came out of a friend's lake and a crawfish that up until tonight was named Oscar. My dad found Oscar walking across the parking lot of a seafood shop and figured that if he had made it that far he deserved to escape so he brought him home. I've had Oscar since Christmas but I just noticed tonight that Oscar seems to be laying eggs in a nest in the corner of the tank so I guess I need to rethink his name a bit.

I got lucky as all the houses around Lake Coeur d Alene are sold before they are listed..practically. Its on 5 acres across from a wetland where Mica creek flows into the Lake. Nice thing is that there is NO way another home can be built anywhere near us. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

Mmmm! Tastes like Chicken! 

Nolan

That is just wrong. We had some a$$hole shoot at one flying over the skeet range a few weeks back. He was asked to leave before that cops were called.