Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wheelgunners Revenge? Central States Regional

I was curious, it seems as the last time there was a Central States Regional for ICORE (the Wheelgunners Revenge) looks like either 2013 or 2014. I am sure some here on the board can enlighten me as to when the last one was held and why it may have ended? It looks like it was always held in MI and it seemed to have a fairly decent turnout.

The main reason I am asking is that there currently is no regional championship held for Central states region and there are 4 clubs in the region (1 MI, 3 IN). I wanted to get in contact with the other MDs and discuss working together to maybe bring it back in the near future. I know Alaskan454 is one of the other MDs and I plan to reach out to him to discuss it after the holidays. If anybody can share any info it'd be helpful.

Last one was 2013. 2014 was canceled after registration had opened and refunds were sent to those that already signed up.

Bruce Cook was the Match Director and he goes by Pitmaster here and INGO.

Might send him a PM and see what the plans are for next year.

Bend of the River Conservation Club in Niles Michigan was the club

I helped at some of the matches

Bruce had some health problems and there was no one who wanted to carry the ball and be match director, it was also getting hard to find enough staff for a large match

There is still some minor revolver interest at the club and if there were some leadership and supporting staff the club would probly let the match start up again

There were some discussions of scheduling some club level revolver matches in 2016 to see if we can develop some revolver interest

At this time it's still in the talking stage

RC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there any news on this idea? It would be a lot of fun to get the IN/MI crowd together for a big match. It looks like ACC or SCCC would probably be the best choices of location based upon number of shooting bays.

You can always have a match without ROs at every stage. Let the shooters be the ROs. They can rotate for each stage if needed so no one gets burned out.

If the club is small, this is the best way to handle it. Our club matches do it. It doesn't take any more money and you will get people that know the rules because they've been shooting the matches.

I think if we want to get this ball rolling for next year we should get the MDs together sometime and figure out a game plan. I see no issue with letting the squads RO themselves, which is what we do at the matches anyway. Most of our guys have a fair amount of experience with the sport and could handle ROing a squad.

That'd be a tall order to get that done by October, especially with regards to getting match sponsors as well as prize table stuff. Most everybody is likely to have committed all they can for the year for sponsorships and prize donations. Aside from the trouble of getting everything organized and prepared (club, stages, staff) we would need to make certain it won't conflict with another match that would draw other revolver shooters away. I am not opposed to looking into it, but I think we are way behind if we wanted to get this match off the ground this year.

I agree for this year, but it might be nice to try and plan something a few weeks before the IRC next year. Anyone who is going down could get some additional trigger time in and test their gear beforehand.

All this discussion for a match that isn't happening?

We want it to happen, does that count?

I think we need to get the MDs together, iron out when/where to hold it, and get this ball rolling for next year. If we want to bring out a lot of shooters, they need time to know about it and we need to have the resources (prizes & sponsors) that will make them want to come shoot this match. I have not doubt that we can get plenty of shooters out for the match, but this year, you have the MCC two weeks before IRC, and I can't see us pulling a lot of shooters between those two weeks.

All this discussion for a match that isn't happening?

We want it to happen, does that count?

I think we need to get the MDs together, iron out when/where to hold it, and get this ball rolling for next year. If we want to bring out a lot of shooters, they need time to know about it and we need to have the resources (prizes & sponsors) that will make them want to come shoot this match. I have not doubt that we can get plenty of shooters out for the match, but this year, you have the MCC two weeks before IRC, and I can't see us pulling a lot of shooters between those two weeks.

IMO match doesn't need to be right before IRC. I see names on regional results that show some shooters travel quite a ways to shoot a regional. Big trips back to back may hurt the turnout.

Prizes and sponsors? If you step up and say we are trying to restart this match and make the match cash payout for the first time you don't need prizes or sponsors for the first one. If the match goes well then the sponsors will be more willing to support the match next year.

Have the match end of September and leave 5 of the Indiana 400 stages set up(move the targets around so they aren't the same) and throw in a couple classifiers/speed shoots and a couple of medium courses and another field course. 10 stages total.

Make the stages easy to reset and keep the match flow in mind since you don't know how many shooters you might have.

Things like RO's shoot free and motel rooms and lunch match day have to be covered by entry fees.

I'll help any way I can.

I like BossHoss's idea of running it as a big match without any focus on prizes. We could still get the regional crowd together for a fun shoot with a lot of lead going down range and see how it goes. I think turnout would be best if we did it on a month with a fifth Saturday or held it on a Sunday without conflicting monthly matches in the area. At our club I shoot with the same guys every week which means USPSA on the first weekend, IDPA the second, Cowboy on the third, and we alternate Steel with ICORE on the fourth. So on months with an extra weekend we have tons of shooters trying to find any match they can and could draw a bigger crowd that might not attend ICORE on a regular basis.

• 4 months later...

Any of you guys think we could get one of the bigger clubs to put something together for 2017?  September has a 5th Saturday that shouldn't conflict with monthly matches.  Our club isn't really set-up to handle more than 6 stages, maybe ACC or SCCC?

• 2 weeks later...

SCCC can definitely handle a big match.

ACC runs a couple good size matches and it's centrally located.

South Central Gun Club, near Freetown/Seymour has really improved their range. It's not as close to the interstate as SCCC and it's smaller.

Come to think of it, all three have made nice improvements in the last couple years. I know SCCC has an active ICORE club, but I don't know if ACC's club is still alive.

There is some talking going on about getting it back together. From what Alaskan454 (Wildcat ICORE MD) and I gathered at the IRC is that there are a lot of people who seem interested in shooting this match if it were to come back. I am going to send some emails to the people at ICORE and get some information to look at getting the ball rolling to put this match on again. I can promise that if we are going to make this happen I will make a big announcement to let people know about it.

Thanks for taking the lead on this, I'll be happy to help in any way I can so just let me know if you need anything.  The ICORE board members really seemed eager to help us put on a match.  After meeting so many people at the IRC it seems like we had shooters coming all the way from Florida and Louisiana to shoot it in the past which I didn't realize.  SCCC would probably be the best location as Sean mentioned, hopefully that works out. 

• 3 weeks later...