Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been looking at the knives made by HideAway. What do you think of them?

They certainly do not give them away. You can buy a damn nice assisted opening folder for less money.

csstoreonline_1835_4865215.gif

Cold Steel's website has the above for only $25.99. I've carried the mini-pal, a smaller version of the pictured knife, for years and am only without one right now because I keep "loaning" ;) them to friends and family members.

-ld

The Hideaway knives are very cool. I've been in contact with the owner, aka. FrontSight, no she doesn't shoot IPSC, for a while even before she started making knives. I'm still jealous she has a small CNC vertical mill in her garage. She's very crafty with concealment, not just with the knives. She's even has a bra holster for her S&W revolver. How's that for a surprise attack. She flashes you right before you shoots you.

I used to have a punch dagger from Cold Steel that had a sheeth that fit really nicely into the change pocket on my jeans. Worked great. I can tell you that puch daggers like the one jhgtyre has a picture of, are a real mother to try and defend against if the person with the knife has any clue on how to use it. Good luck getting the thing away from a person....guess that is what the .45 is for :lol:

The Urban Pal is the big brother to the Mini Pal. The mini works great on a keychain and it has a locking sheath. The Urban is a bit bigger so keychain carry is a little bulky, but not too bad, and it lends itself to use in some of the ways described above. Cold Steel also has awesome customer service. My mini pal fell out of it's sheath and when I called to order a new one they sent me one for free. I know this is a cheapie product for them but that made me a happy customer and they have done nothing to ruin that feeling in the years since.

-ld

I post regulary on the blade forums and have a special affinity for steel. It's an up close and personal thing. The only thing that I can say is that it would be hard to defend yourself, not on the street, but in the court room with one.

My personal feelings. If you were on your way to court after a shooting, which weapon would you have rather used? A 870 pump gun loaded with bird shot or a pistol grip benelli, with heat guard, tactical sling, cut barrel etc. The point is that your jury would find it easier if you shot the guy with your rabbit gun than your man killer.

Knives are tools. It would be easier politically to defend yourself with a blade that you use to cut boxes and string with that you always carry as a tool and you had to press that into service to defend your life instead of buying the "tactical made to slice men" blade.

I hate politically correct things and thinking, but if you end up in court one day over it, one makes your attorney's job easier and one doesn't. You don't need a huge blade but push daggers are out for the same reasoning for me. I use to carry a neck knife. After talking with many officers they would consider one to be a concealed weapon more than a 3" Microtech, Benchmade or Emerson blade held in the pocket by a long shot even if the blade is under the legal limit for your locale. It's more about intent.

A small fixed blade or a folder with an exceptional lock would be a recomendation. Spyderco's lil'temperance is a wonder small blade with big blade features, many of the benchmade's with the Axis lock are also relatively inexpensive and built solidly.

Come and join the fun or just read: www.bladeforums.com/

Jake, Tarani is great and his kerambits are world class. I've never had a class from him but his work is well known. I guess that I shouldn't be so surprised that all of these shooters also enjoy blades. I also bet that there are more than a few who study different forms of martial arts. These are all different aspects of bushido or the way of the warrior.

Jake

Up close I can see it....if they are 15 or more feet away, I would rather have the option to draw my carry pistol... ;) Knife fighters are young athletic studs like you...old farts like me would rather carry a pistol... B)

Titeloop, for those of us that still live in one of the four states that don't allow CCW the blade option is all that we have legally. When we finally become CCW legal, I will still cary a blade in addition to a firearm. There are many applicable instances where a blade makes more sense.

Lynn, been on that site many times before. His articles are always insightful.

With the increasing prevalence of concealed carry licenses, there is the a growing cultural acceptance that a handgun is a legitimate self defense tool.

I don't see any evidence that suggests defensive knives are gaining acceptance in the community from which the investigating officers, procesutors and jury pool will be selected. That goes double for punch knives and push daggers.

There are jurisdictions which license civilians to carry firearms, but which have no provision for the lawful carry of a push knife.

Double edge blades are illegal in my area. Double edge blades do have some advantages. Again a double edge blade is effective but the "intent of carry" will be looked at differently than a 3" folder with a solid lock. For those of you that live in "automatic" legal areas the microtech's and Rob Dalton blades are quite effective and have locks that stand up to real world encounters.

Also people can have a knife in their hand concealed and can walk right up to you nice and calmly....if you have a gun legally you can't shoot him.

[Not a defense forum mode ON]

Oh contraire mon ami. We do not have to play rock, paper, scissor before pulling the trigger. I've drawn on people for coming after me with a car and will do so again in a heartbeat if circumstances so merit.

If you carry such a weapon in Texas you will eventually find trouble.

"Illegal knife" means a:

knife with a blade over five and one-half inches

hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

bowie knife;

sword; or

spear.

Dagger = a short knife with a pointed blade used for piercing or stabbing

is essentially double-edged knife, where the tang is placed along the center line of the blade.

is more a weapon made for thrusting than a tool for slicing and cutting.

Dirk = a long dagger with a straight blade.

Stiletto = A small dagger with a slender, tapering blade.

Poniard = A dagger typically having a slender square or triangular blade.

geezer

Carrying one of those devices where you yank the cord out (you can wear around the neck) and it makes a hell of a lot of noise (used in hospitals and nursing homes to make people aware of when patients fall out of bed or wheelchairs) is a non-agressive way that gives the "bad guys" a hell of good reason to get away. Confronting a bad guy aggressively increases the chance of a physical confrontation, if you make a hell of a lot of noise (those noisemakers are painfull to the ears) it gives them an "easy way" out.

Ps. I always carry my Benchmade of course ;)