Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any such thing as a soft 38 super load?

RickT

I'm buying for my wife a commander-size 38 super for conversion to 9mm, but in the intervening 3-4 months waiting for a barrel we have a 38 super. I can easily buy dies and reload, but I'm guessing the long case doesn't lend itself to 3gr of N320 behind 115gr bullet. Any thoughts?

The gun is 35 oz without magazine to a factory 38 super load might not be too bad, but I know she wouldn't want to shoot it too much.

And before you ask: I'm in CA thus the strange path to a 9mm "commander" or Kimber's version thereof.

I'm sure there is, I don't have any load data, but I believe the USAMU uses .38 super in their 3-gun 2011's due to them stacking a little better in a 2011 magazine and feeding into a 2011 a little more reliably. I'm sure those are lightly loaded rounds.

If you are asking about 38 super minor soft shooting loads, then yes, there are a tuckload. You may need to play with springs depending on how low you want to go with power factor.

Many folks use .38 super shooting minor/sub-minor for steel challenge. 9mm wasn't always the caliber of choice for the games. I think a couple top level shooters are using it for their minor single stack since the reliability is high in the 1911 format guns.

IMO - the .38 super (and variants) is a reloaders dream. No crimped primers, straight walled, brass is fairly uniform, shoots bullets from 95 to 170+ grains, can safely make major using light bullets and common powders, and loads down to bunny fart loads without any special effort.

Try using your favorite pistol powder for minor 9mm and work up a load with either 115 grain or 124 grain bullets.

You mentioned N320, the VV load data guide has a bunch of light 38 super loads using N320 with 115 gr and 124 gr bullets. All the big manufactures have good data for minor (and some for major) for their powders in 38 super.

Edited by Bamboo

I've just started loading N320 (3.5gr) behind 115gr loaded for our 9mm 1911s. Seems like this is going to be a great load for games with no minimum PF. I'm sure I can go a bit lower, but it's really soft as is.

Start with whatever your manual lists for midway loads for 9mm. This should be a great place to start. You can load bunny fart 38 super just like 9 and .40

38 super is just a VERY popular choise for loading HOT. 38 cases are VERY durable too so you will most likely loose the brass before it needs related with such low pressure.

9mm I use 3.0g claydot under a 115 for my wife's 1911. Soooo soft. Try 3.3 under a 115 in 38 and see if it cycles. (If you have this powder)

As far as box ammo, this will be much softer as mentioned.

I shoot 38 super minor and like how it feels.

As a guide because I use an australian power I use 3.6 grains of ADI AP50 in 9mm for 130 pf. 4 grains of the same power with the same 125 grain coated lead projectile gives me 132pf.

I run a 15lb mainspring and 11lb recoil spring in my trojan.

I think it is softer shooting than my 9mm but it could be in my head.

Thanks for the great information. I was just concerned that a load comparable to what we run in our 9mm 1911s, 3.4gr N320/115gr coated, wouldn't burn well in the larger case, but I was surprised looking at a few load manuals that several listed loads are barely above 1000 fps with a 115gr LRN bullet. I've bought some Fiocchi 38 super ammo to use while we're waiting for the barrel swap. I'm hopeful that I can "inherit" this gun based on the greater recoil of the factory loads :) , but that would be underhanded.

Steve. I have ran several rounds 9mm major in my 38 super barrel. Most of them will shoot fine but once in a blue moon I get a stove pipe and the case will NOT extract. This is with mixed brass. So for mine it doesn't run 100% to shoot in a competition. I imagine if chamber checked I may be ok but I don't for practice. I may try running my brass through a 38 super die and see if that helps.

I guess I have a tight chamber. It is nice for my brass, no bulge really with major. :-)

I have a 9mm barrel I plan to fit to it but I haven't had a chance to yet.

Yes he was. I don't have any experience with 9 minor in a 38 super barrel, However, with the tight chamber I have, some brass sticks before I even load it. I have a box of starline 9mm I was going to load for a comp and shoot 9 major, thinking it would all be the same size. I dropped a unloaded piece in the chamber and it stuck 3/4 of the way in.

Getting a 9mm barrel would be up to you. I got one to have non ported barrel. I would also imagine that 10k+ you may see some chamber erosion to the point where the 38 super may not want to function. I have less then 1000 9 in my super he barrel at the moment but I have seen no I'll affect.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the 3gn of n320 behind a 115gn rn will be a nice sub minor load (about 110-120pf). You will need a fairly light recoil spring to run it reliably. 38 super is fine for light loads despite having larger case volume than 9mm.

Have you used this or just guessing? Manual lists 3.9 and a 115 as being 122pf.

Why 38 Super? why not change out the extractor with a 9mm Aftec extractor and run 38 super comp? 38 SC does not have the rim that the 38 super has and the SC is more reliable feeding and stacking.

Edited to add: and if you reload .223, you won't need to change out the shell plate on the press...38 sc and 223 use the same plate and pins (if you reload on a blue press).

Edited by Mark R

• 6 months later...

I'm shooting 38 super comp at 174 PF. I want to shoot minor for Steel Challenge (no advantage to shooting major) and I do not want to switch out the barrels and the extractor to a 9mm and don't want to shoot my 9mm. I am really trying to stick with shooting the same gun and ammo, but would like a lighter load for these purposes only. I'm shooting VV 3n38, 9.7 gr, a 125 gr bullet and I have a 9 lb recoil spring. If I take the powder down to get the PF to 125-130 and change the recoil spring, how do you think it will work, feel?? Has anyone tried minor in a 38 super comp pistol??

I'm shooting 38 super comp at 174 PF. I want to shoot minor for Steel Challenge (no advantage to shooting major) and I do not want to switch out the barrels and the extractor to a 9mm and don't want to shoot my 9mm. I am really trying to stick with shooting the same gun and ammo, but would like a lighter load for these purposes only. I'm shooting VV 3n38, 9.7 gr, a 125 gr bullet and I have a 9 lb recoil spring. If I take the powder down to get the PF to 125-130 and change the recoil spring, how do you think it will work, feel?? Has anyone tried minor in a 38 super comp pistol??

I shoot 3N38 to 172 PF in 38SC. I tried 6.1 grains Power Pistol for Steel challenge with a 121 coated. Worked great.