Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

busdriver learns to shoot?

busdriver02

So I figure I'll give this a shot. Shot a couple matches since summer and now that work is getting in the way of my weekends, it's as good a time as any to analyse how I'm doing.

My grip was generally terrible, and I had a tendency to get one sight picture then whack the trigger twice instead of actually aiming both shots. Which really didn't work out well at longer ranges. So I spent some time shooting doubles at the range and filming it to analyse things.

I still need to dry fire the grip so I actually do it without thinking about it, but I'm not too sure about the wobble between shots. Uneven grip pressure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf65MT_ijA

I spent a little time looking at footage similar for myself - and I notice the same thing on yours that I did on mine.... the gun is backing up. :) I've started taking a bit more aggressive stance and that has helped that a bit.

I started six months ago with the "tactically sound" turtle hunch/ upper body tank-turret. I tried to break myself of that and ended up somewhat leaning back, also not good. I was trying to have a more vertical stance yesterday, but you're right it still isn't there. I'll have to play with my foot placement a bit next time. It's fair to say I've still got a decent amount of bad habits to undo.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got a holster setup for my open gun and did some dry fire tonight. Gave up after 15 minutes, as I also got back into the gym yesterday and my arms are sore and slinging around a 4 pound pistol hurts!

El pres with a 4.5s par time and a made up drill where I see how far away I can start from a fault line and 1 target to engage. 12 or 13 feet seemed about the limit for now on drill two. I see room to improve on getting stopped and shooting immediately by getting the gun up earlier. Definitely faster to get moving immediately and worry about the draw enroute. I think with a more consistent stop & shoot combo I could bump the distance up by 2 or 3 feet.

El pres was terrible, inconsistent as all get out which makes sense with a new holster and gun.

Edited by busdriver02

30 minutes of dry fire; 4 aces with a 2.5s par time and the 2s move into position drill from yesterday.

Pretty major breakthrough on the draw, I tried grabbing the gun with my fingers against the front strap before my palm. Is that a “scoop draw?” in any event it was a lot faster and more consistent. I went from struggling to hit the par time and having to nail the reload to make it, to seemingly having an eternity to aim even with what seems like a slow reload. Still not sure how to translate that into a surrender position draw.

Need to work on looking the magazine into the gun and pulling the pistol in closer to my body. When I feel rushed I tend to look back to the target and start pulling my fingers away from the magazine index before it’s actually in the magwell. The metal gun is much less forgiving on getting the magazine aligned with the well than my XD. All combined, rushing=screwed up reloads.

Moving into position and shoot I added a vision barrier this time (ran down the hallway). No big surprises, but it reinforced get moving first, worry about the draw enroute and have the gun up before you getting to the position. I did realize I have been looking at the spot on the ground that I want to go to, which was really slowing me down. Having a good sense of where I wanted to be looks like in my peripheral vision really helped to not over shoot and still be ready to pull the trigger when I stop. I played with which leg to push off with when I’m moving. My natural instinct seemed to use my left leg no matter which direction the movement. So cross-over step going left and lunge type step moving right. Weird. Trying both it seemed like a lunge was faster with shorter distances and cross over was faster if there was enough room to really start running. Somewhere around 13ish feet seemed to be about the same.

I really need to find a place to shoot where I can practice this stuff with actual bullets.

~30minutes dry fire. Tried 4 aces with a 2.3s par time and playing with grip panel thickness.

Settled on a slightly thicker panel on the right side than left. Grit covered panel chewed up my palm a bit, so I hit that with some sand paper to knock it down some.

As long as I didn’t let the timer beep get to me, the 2.3 par time wasn’t bad. Probably about 90% trigger pulls on brown, maybe 75% A zone. Seems like a pretty good time to practice with for awhile.

Dry fire report: Ran reload component drills. ID’d that I haven’t been rotating the gun to actually point the magwell at the mag source. I’ve rushing elsewhere to make up for that. Once I changed that and made a conscious effort to rotate my wrist and bring my elbow down a bit it freed up enough time to actually take the time to get a good index on the mag. Went back to running 4 aces after and was much more consistent. Winning!

Then I decided that just dot on brown wasn’t good enough and moved my aimpoint to the head box. I didn’t bother to change par time and just left it as a sort of metronome of sorts without the real intent to actually make the time. Well, the last ten or so “runs” I made the par time, with all shots on the head.

While they wouldn’t have all been alphas, what’s interesting is that I got a lot faster once I started focusing on getting the “hits” rather than thinking about the reload or the draw. It was actually really cool to screw up the first two after the draw, reload get the second two hits and then hear the beep start after and realize I had a “ton” more time to aim on the first two.

Edited by busdriver02

Screwing around with youtube, cause ya know cool guy videos. Deleted old channel and started anew.

I also decided to try the reload drill from Stoeger's book. It feels like I can't pull the trigger fast enough.

Turning the camera on also turns me into a fumbling idiot. I went from about 75% whats in the video, to closer to 50%. Might be a useful performance stress tool for me.