Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Gripping a 1911

obsessiveshooter

The large grips and arched msh will help a lot to make room for my support hand to get some purchase on the gun. My glock has grip tape all around and the large backstrap and that feel perfect. The one thing that isn't changing is the distance from the grip safety to the thumb safety, and that's where the problem lies. Your grip begins right there. My low thumb safety I ordered should help a lot. What a really wish was that someone made a grip safety/ msh combo that was about 1/4" thicker, like the glock backstraps.

In your first post's pic, I notice you do not have your arm/wrist/hand extended straight out, which is contributing I think to your thumb pointing up.

Ideally both thumbs will be relaxed and not touching the frame.

Edited by GunBugBit

...It seems like a lot of you guys have adapted to or gotten used to a less-than-optimal grip to deal with the 1911 design...

Hands vary widely. In my case -- medium-large hands with somewhat thick fingers -- my hands and the gun get along great. No pistol feels better in my hands.

...But everybody says you are supposed to ride the safety, it supposed to help w muzzle rise...

Maybe with some individuals, but others among us don't put much pressure on the thumb safety. My approach involves putting a firm envelope around the grip with my thumb butts pressed together and fingers of both hands (not including thumbs) gripping firmly.

The top reasons for riding the safety in my mind are to avoid flicking the safety up while shooting and to get the shooting hand higher up on the gun.