Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REVERSE PLUGS

What's the correct procedure for dis/assembling a 1911 with a bull barrel and reverse plug? I've got the top end off but don't

want to break/mar anything by not doing it right. It's a one-piece tungesten rod with a single shok buff. Do I have to compress the recoil spring internally?

Usually the guide rod has a small hole in it that you can take a paper clip, put a small bend in it , with the slide off push the guide rod out the front and insert the paper clip into the small hole.  With the recoil spring trapped you can remove guide rod and spring.  Then the barrel will come out.

I like to have the hole drilled so that the paperclip can be inserted with the slide on the gun. Makes it a bit easier to remove. However with many shok-buffs in the gun it doesn't quite go back far enough for removal. Now I settle with doing it as Paul says.

Pat

Oh, one more thing.  If I have a choice I lik eto buy guide rods that aren't drilled.  This way I can drill the hole where I want and I don't drill all the way through.  Only about half to 3/4 the way through.  Keeps the guide rod a little stronger.

You guys are totally wacko! lol

I found the hole, it was tucked way back there behind the

dust cover, side-to-side. Very easy to miss unless you were specifically looking for it.

It's a P1640 with an Ed Brown BB and a tungsten guide rod (with a whole hole).

Yes, Pat, I finally got my 1640! Yay!!!

Anybody want to buy a Kimber??

Wear your safety glasses when dealing with the plug. It's a little-known fact that even with an 11# recoil spring, a reverse plug will make Major. Paper clips are really weak and prone to breaking at the bend so I use old mag springs.