Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

crossing over to uspsa- open build

jrosario

Hello shooters, I've been shooting IDPA for a bit now but found myself loving USPSA from the first stage. I have quite a few Glocks due to the fact my wife and I both like the ergonics of Glock and the reliability. I load my own and will be using my back-up Glock 35 Gen 4 for the USPSA build. So here's what I have so far:

Glock 35 gen 4

sevigny FO front and rear sight

custom trigger (pretravel gone and very short reset)

ghost 3lb bar

11 & 13 spring

tungsten rod

zev magwell w/brass insert

arriendo extensions @140

stock barrel

Im planning on lightening theh slide a bit with large side windows

And I would love any information people have out there on using a threaded barrel with a compensator, I want to make major so I think I'll be staying with 40 and not converting to 9. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. I would go 9mm. If you are hell bent on staying .40 look for 135g bullets. Or frangable ones that may be lighter but they are extremely expensive. .40 major for open isn't as affective, from what I've read. If you have mountains on .40 brass you could go .357 sig and neck it. It will work for competition. Feed just fine and you have plenty of case room to safely push a 115 to major and then some. Lots of gas! If you go 9mm major that's a good bet too. The barrel will be slightly heavier and will help w recoil. I did the same with a glock 22.

Also welcome to the fourm!

Did you by any chance shoot universal shooting Academy last weekend? I shot with a guy from idea shooting a g17 who just won a 34 and wanted to shoot open.

Edited by Open1215

Curious what you're loading to push 9 major?

And yes, we both shot the space the space coast challenge and took second in our divisions which came with a bump to sharpshooter. Not bad for our first tier 2 tournament.

Ok. Must have been someone else. This was a guy by his self. I think his last name was tucker. I shot after him.

My glock 9 major load was 8.2g 3n38 under a 124g xtreme.

I shot some WAC too but the 3n38 was softer. There are several loads for glock. You just have to load a bit shorter, for the mags, and I also recommend having the barrel throated to accept longer OAL. Most sellers can do this for you. I think Bobby carver does this for you.

As far as slide lighting, that's up to you. With the window cut your ahead of the game a bit. You can port the barrel a bit if you like.

I would go in the 9/38 section here and look for whatever powders you have, see if they can be used for 9mm major.

9maj or Is very different from loading for limited or production.

You want a light bullet, 115-124 is common. You want a slower powder.

Autocomp, cfe pistol, hs-6, 3n38,

Are all popular. I personally love hs-6. I can't feel a difference between hs-6 and 3n38 other then hs-6 is 1/2 the price (but it is dirtier)

Loaded up some WAC & CFE pistol in 115 and 124g to try and see of I like it better.

Yup, Tucker's my friend...didn't want to put his name out there. Thanks for the load info but I'm going to stick with 40. Less powder (titegroup @4.3 under 180gr round nose) soft in the hand without a compensator, can't wait to feel it with one. And with a conversion barrel I can load my own rounds of 40/9. Sending my slide out this Monday and driving over to carver to pick us some parts for this beast than off to get a cerakote coat and shoot the hell out it.

Yup, Tucker's my friend...didn't want to put his name out there. Thanks for the load info but I'm going to stick with 40. Less powder (titegroup @4.3 under 180gr round nose) soft in the hand without a compensator, can't wait to feel it with one. And with a conversion barrel I can load my own rounds of 40/9. Sending my slide out this Monday and driving over to carver to pick us some parts for this beast than off to get a cerakote coat and shoot the hell out it.

40 will reduce mag capacity too much to keep up with the 9/38 crowd. You'll be shooting against guys with 29-30 rounds in a big stick. Also TG is too fast to make any gas for a comp. There is a whole lot more to Open than sticking a comp on a gun. Comps need gas to work and the more the better. Other than that it's just an ornament screwed onto the end of your barrel. Of course all of the above only matters if you want to be even a little bit competitive.:) if you are in it strictly for fun then by all means go for it!

Cool cool. Well sorry to name drop but ya. Good talking again.

The problem with using the same load for limited is it won't do anything at all for the comp. You have to go with a slower power. The gas works the comp. Without the gas the comp is just weight hanging off then end of the gun.

Pm me and your welcome to shoot my open gun some time. I'll show you the difference between box ammo, fast powder/bunny fart load, and major ammo (light bullet, slow powder)

I would just hate for you to waste $ on something that won't do what you want exactly.

.40 major can be work. If you load a 135 or 140 under some N105 or accurate 9 it will have a TON of gas for the comp.