Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tooth and Nail MKA-1919

shippj

When I first decided to make my foray into open, or unlimited, division I knew I needed a new shotgun. I had been shooting an SLP and weighed the options of putting an X-Rail on it.

So I had 3 considerations, X-Rail, Saiga, or 1919. I felt the X-rail was too heavy and the Saiga did not interest me.

So I did a lot of reading on 1919s set up for 3-gun. One name kept coming up to the top, Tooth and Nail Armory. (I was also looking to make an open pistol, but that is another and continuing story). I contacted Tooth and Nail and correspondence with them was always returned 24 hours or sooner. All questions I had were promptly answered, suggestions were made, and I felt very welcome and was excited to buy from them.

When I finally ordered my shotgun I called on the phone and again Matt was great to deal with. Matt took the time to send me photos of the build, I watched the test fire video on the internet. Two weeks later I had my gun, my initial impression was “awesome!”. The gun arrived in a Plano case with 4 mags (1x23, 2x10, and 1x5). Also in the case was magazine couplers, chokes (not extended), and a beer opener, and heavy gas ring (light gas ring was installed).

I looked over the create job and the gun was flawless as far as I could see. I had a mid mounted comp installed, it was seamless with very faint tool marks on the barrel. (Nothing I was concerned about, especially for a gun that is eventually going to get chucked into dump barrels). I was surprised at the weight of the gun, it looks like an AR so I immediately assumed it would weigh closer to my AR’s weight. I don't know the weight but definitely noticeably heavier.

I finally took it out and ran 20 rounds through it. I loaded up the 10 round mags, the springs were very stiff and I initially had trouble loading them (trying to load them like a pistol mag). I learned a better technique and loaded up 10 rounds of 1 1/8 oz Remington Nitro Sporting Clays (about 1300 fps). This was my go to ammo with the SLP, the only thing it always ran 100%.

I fired the first round and it failed to chamber the next. I racked the bolt, chambering the 2nd round and proceeded to dump the remaining 8 without a hitch. I chalked that first round up to being a new gun, new springs, and possibly me loading that mag.

The 2nd magazine was 1oz Remington Nitro Handicap. This was a lighter load that my SLP would choke on about 1 out of 5. I usually ran this load in the wives 930 JM. Its a lighter load running about 1250 fps. I shot that entire mag with no issues ( in about 3 seconds!!!).

I plan on continuing to test this weekend to include slugs, but I thought I would give my initial impression and review of Tooth and Nail.

In a nut shell Tooth and Nail Armory has been a pleasure to deal with. I have dealt with plenty of smiths and online distributors and this transaction has rated in the top two in the last 5 years.

The shotgun was everything I expected, the customer service was prompt and friendly, I will definitely be calling Matt and Josh when I finally decide the route Im going for my open pistol.

The only nitpick thing I would have liked to see is extended choke tubes, oh and a t-shirt with their logo!

If your in the market for a new gun or smith, check these guys out.

PS Im not sponsored by them nor do I have connection to them. I just was really impressed with their product and level of customer care!

1919.jpg

1919(1).jpg

1919(2).jpg

Edited by shippj

I love mine, went through the same experience but shot way more shells the day before the match. Polished the internals that night and it ran 100% at the match. I tried the Briley extended choke but it won't screw all the way down, the Carlson extended Win choke worked better.

I just got a match as well. Had tooth and nail do the mid barrel comp and got a few other small parts. Not as fancy looking as yours still stock forearm and stock.

Got a tooth and nail 23 round mag and salem 6 10 round extensions.

Had a few jams so far but ran pretty well. Will put some more rounds through it tomorrow.

Took 1st Open and 2nd Overall at the Semi Pro Surefire Multigun match with my T&N 1919. Couple of tips. Locktite everything. The bolt holding the upper and lower works loose after a couple hundred rounds. 1919s destroy Eotechs. I broke 2. My TRS25 is running well. Fingers crossed.

Their CS is awesome. I had questions before and during the match and their email replies were very timely.

Your lower looks like a new version. My SAS lower is very tight on the 2nd gen mags so I gave SAS a call and they said the magwell was designed for 1st gen mags and they were working on a new lower. How does your lower run with the 2nd gen mags? 1st gen collar mag stop, 2nd gen taper from plastic to metal.

Edited by joelogic

Nice! Keep us updated as you go through the break through! I'm interested in how slugs work for you and what works best.

Congrats!

Chris

Will do, probably be Sunday as I got roped into going hunting a bit Saturday.

I love mine, went through the same experience but shot way more shells the day before the match. Polished the internals that night and it ran 100% at the match. I tried the Briley extended choke but it won't screw all the way down, the Carlson extended Win choke worked better.

I would have shot more but it is that time of year, I get home, feed livestock, any other household chores, and its dark. That and I already packed up all my range stuff for the year, hate to leave it out in the snow. Not much shooting (except hunting) going on around here until spring.

Took 1st Open and 2nd Overall at the Surefire Multigun match with my T&N 1919. Couple of tips. Locktite everything. The bolt holding the upper and lower works loose after a couple hundred rounds. 1919s destroy Eotechs. I broke 2. My TRS25 is running well. Fingers crossed.

Their CS is awesome. I had questions before and during the match and their email replies were very timely.

Your lower looks like a new version. My SAS lower is very tight on the 2nd gen mags so I gave SAS a call and they said the magwell was designed for 1st gen mags and they were working on a new lower. How does your lower run with the 2nd gen mags? 1st gen collar mag stop, 2nd gen taper from plastic to metal.

Congrats on your win!

Shoot, I was hoping that EO-Tech would hold up to it.

Honestly I don't know the difference between 1st and 2nd generation mags. At work right now but when I get home I will look at them for the mag stop vs taper.

Thanks for the tip on Loctite, I'll hit that up this weekend.

Sorry, no pictures....BUT.... Tooth and Nail consistently make some of the finest 1919 shotguns out there. The few I have played with have been GREAT!!!....Sorry Tony Tiger.... I know that is your tag line I'm stealing! :0

Not sure on the mags, but what ever the ones T&N sell work. I have been running my T&N built 1919 shotgun for almost 2 years with thousands of 1145 AA rounds and Freedom slugs in the 5,10, and 23 round mags with almost 100% reliability. I run an 8MOA C-More and other than checking the slug zero it has held up. Seems to move slightly to the right after 500 rounds or so. I used a little blue loctite on the windage set screw this time and so far hasn't moved. Nothing on the shotgun has ever come loose.

One note, does not like Fiocchi low recoil slugs or buckshot. Will not shoot them reliably. FTE issues, seems like there is not enough gas to cycle the shotgun.

Great guys and company.

gerritm

Not sure on the mags, but what ever the ones T&N sell work. I have been running my T&N built 1919 shotgun for almost 2 years with thousands of 1145 AA rounds and Freedom slugs in the 5,10, and 23 round mags with almost 100% reliability. I run an 8MOA C-More and other than checking the slug zero it has held up. Seems to move slightly to the right after 500 rounds or so. I used a little blue loctite on the windage set screw this time and so far hasn't moved. Nothing on the shotgun has ever come loose.

One note, does not like Fiocchi low recoil slugs or buckshot. Will not shoot them reliably. FTE issues, seems like there is not enough gas to cycle the shotgun.

Great guys and company.

gerritm

Was that the 1150 fps Fiocchi or the 1300 fps Fiocchi? I have 80 rounds of the 1300 FPS Fiocchi and I hope that they are going to work.

Never heard of Freedom Slugs. Where did you get them?

It is the low recoil 1150 slugs and buckshot. I have tried the 1300 with little success also. They do not feed well. If you measure them against most shells, bird or slug, they are longer. Also we have noticed that many times if you look at them from the end they almost look deformed sometimes. Kind of a triangle shape. Several of the guys I shoot with have noticed this also. They do run and shoot well in my sons Benelli M2. He loves them.

Freedom Munitions have the X-treme slugs. They claim 1550fps. Not sure with the mid-comp I don't really notice the recoil. Shoot and feed excellent. Buy them online, although I have heard they are phasing them out and going to a new manufacturer. I have shot both the copper coated and all lead and both shoot about the same. Still showing them online. I buy them in bulk when they have free shipping or discounts.

gerritm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Shipp, We owe you a t shirt, shipped out quite a few guns over the past several days, guess I forgot yours.

AKDJ, give us a call, 573-378-9070 - Josh, most likely just a mag tuning problem once corrected they are very reliable.

Slugs - we use the Fiocchi 7/8oz 1300 fps, with excellent results - we do have many thousands of rounds through our guns though.

New guns we recommend sticking with at least 1 oz slugs

I ran Remington managed recoil slugs today, they fed and ran nicely. I was in the process of starting to zerp them and my EO-Tech broke. I put about 300-400 rounds through the gun since Friday. I guess the EO-Tech couldnt handle that.

Good things, Win AA ran 100%, Super target ran ok, about 10% jam rate. Federal Wal-mart 100 pack ran with about 20% failure rate.

I love this gun, need to ind a site that will work though. Think the next one to try is the FF3.

I ran Remington managed recoil slugs today, they fed and ran nicely. I was in the process of starting to zerp them and my EO-Tech broke. I put about 300-400 rounds through the gun since Friday. I guess the EO-Tech couldnt handle that.

Good things, Win AA ran 100%, Super target ran ok, about 10% jam rate. Federal Wal-mart 100 pack ran with about 20% failure rate.

I love this gun, need to ind a site that will work though. Think the next one to try is the FF3.

Which eotech died ?

Pretty dishearting to hear all the Eotech troubles lately, that had been my recommended sight for the MKA. Actually for any RDS application( I have 5, all older)

I know of 7-8 that have failed in the last 2-3 months, I think all have had nearly the same problem :(

My EXPS2-0 has been with me on 4 different Sg's over the last 5+ years