Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! My powder floweth over...

Chris Leong

Loading 38S with around 8gr of VV N350, moving up the power

factor scale. Man is this a different proposition from 40S&W! I used to get 170PF from just 5 grains of VV N320 and a 180gr bullet. Now I'm running 124gr (not even 115gr) and up in the high 7's-low 8 grains of VV N350 and guess what, the powder's spilling from the shells as they index around. I have to put a finger on the top of the shell to hold the powder in as the shell indexes, might as well be loading a single stage, it's so slow...

I know that the longer grain powders like N350 will compress and run okay as long as you don't load below minimum OAL (I'm only at 1.260-170"), but how to get around the spillage? Is the 1050 better in this respect, or do I have to switch to another powder to get it all in there and loading fast? How do you guys do it, I ask.. :-)

Oh yeah, 38 Super's & 650's are a bit of a challenge.  I noticed the same thing switching from loading for the .40 to loading for the super.

You might want to clip half a coil off the spring under the ball that indexes the shellplate.

Get your shellplate as tight as possible, yet still allowing it to turn.  I tighten it and then back off 1/16 a turn.

If you don't use a powder check die, move the seater into the location where the powder check should be.  This gives you one less opportunity for the powder to bounce.  Takes a little getting used to, but works very well.

You probably won't be able to load .38 super quite as fast as the .40's.  But, these things helped me.

Chris,

I do storm's trick of clipping the sping under the indexing ball, and I apply a liberal amont of Slide-Glide to the spring and ball. This, combined with exact positioning of the shell plate, and you shouldn't hear the shell plate click into place. It just kinda slides in there....

be

As I sold Chris a Square Deal B .40S&W conversion, he may not be loading on a 650. (Maybe he bought a 650 for loading Supers.) I don't think there's much you can do about the SDB indexing. Just keep it clean under the shellplate and work the handle smoothly.

Whoops! Since Chris asked if a 1050 was better, I assumed he was using a 650. Completely ignored the possibility that it could be a SDB, 550 or even a non-Dillon press. My bad. :(

On the 650, I also lube the ball & spring like Brian.  I also lube the indexing "cam" too. The smoother, the better. I guess reloading's a lot like shooting, smooth is fast.

Jerome,

Sorry, I didn't relate enough info. I meant shell plate tension - meaning the adjustment of the big threaded thing that tightens down on the shell plate. If you get this thing adjusted just right, it can really help the shell plate to smoothly slide in place.

be

Actually, I've been through an SDB, a Pro 1000 and a 650. Now investigating the 1050 and the bullet feed kit made by a third party (forgot who, temporarily, but it's advertised in the Front Sight mag). All have been exercises in relative frustration so far, since I'm now double-shifting at work and have very little time to reload in...

Chris,

I been tellin' ya, get the 1050. You won't regret it. I wouldn't worry about the auto bullet feeder though because you can learn to cycle the thing (using the "keep your eyes moving concept") in the time you can pull the handle. I've heard, the bullet feeders are not worth the time it takes to mess with them. I can't imagine that they would be. Especially if you check out my custom bullet tray and feeder device posted somewhere on this forum. :)

be