Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crash Log

CrashDodson

Great. Just don't start with burpees lol. Start slow. Do as much pain free movement throughout the day as possible and make reclaiming full range of motion the priority. Make sure you can do basic pushups pain free before you even attempt a burpee.

How has your dryfire been going? Feel like a pro with the good arm?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my dirtbike injuries I dont have the range of motion to do a flat palm pushup anyway.  I can do them using dumbells or pushup bar things.  

Ive been keeping it simple with the one handed dry fire.  Basic draw, sight picture, trigger and transition stuff.  Been adding as much simulated longer distance as I can.  Doing some one handed table starts.  Due to weather and family I have not been to the range in a while.

I should have some time to get to the range this week, maybe only the indoor range.  Would something simple like dot drills be good one handed work?  

• 2 weeks later...

I got the cast off last week.  Its very stiff and painful to do certain things as expected, one of them being holding the gun. The wrist forward position is a reminder not to do stupid things like fall on the ground.  On top of that I broke my little toe on my left foot chasing my kids at my moms house the weekend before I got the cast off.  Evidently my karma is low or someone has a voodoo doll of me.  

I've been doing rehab exercises/stretches for the wrist.  I skipped shooting our match this weekend and just did my MD duties.  Dry fire this morning made it evident that the grip strength is lacking right now, its hard to hold a steady sight picture on hard targets.  I definitely feel weak trying to squeeze the grip, and I'm finding my weak side palm farther forward then I would like on about half the draws.  Reloading isn't too uncomfortable, albeit slower than before the injury.  I have every intention of shooting cowtown this weekend.  Im going to keep with the rehab and going to try to get some shooting in at least 3 days this week. Going to tape the toe and take some pain meds for the match and see if its not a total train wreck. 

Recovering from injuries can be a long and frustrating situation. Keep doing the rehab process and you should be back to "Normal" sooner than later. Also accept the fact that certain injuries can take a significant amount of time to fully recover from. It took me at least 9 months to recover my left hand grip strength after my last neck ruptured disk incident. I still have diminished grip and twisting strength in my left hand. Relentless training and relearning how to shoot again with that limitation allowed me to keep playing this game at the level I expect to perform at.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the Cowtown Classic match in Cresson on the 12th.  I was shooting my new limited gun that I didn't have many rounds through, but I couldn't get the optic mount off my other gun to run it in limited.  I let a buddy shoot it at our local match and I put about 400 rounds through it in practice without any issues.  It ran great at the match, its operator, not so much.  This was my first match in 2 months and it showed.  The first stage or two I was really uncomfortable but it got better throughout the day.  My wrist didn't bother me as much as my stupid broken toe.  I finished the match 5th/41 in Limited with one limited stage win.  I had 4 mikes and 9 D's.  1 mike I got popper f'ed but the the other 3 where on paper shooting while entering a position.  I was not letting my sights settle and not calling the shots.  I have a good focus for practice until Doubletap in a few weeks.  

Edited by CrashDodson

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was our monthly uspsa match in which I have the punishment of being the MD.  I have been dry firing about 5 days a week and have shot two live practice sessions since cowtown.  In one session I worked mostly on movement and shooting on the move and shooting into position.  Shooting into position is something I struggled with at cowtown.  The other session I went back to shot calling type drills and shooting harder targets, partials and small steel. 

This past weekend was going to be hot as hell in Texas so I got to the range at 6:30 to start setting up for our match that we scheduled to start at 9.  We finally got shooting at 9:30.  I RO'ed a small squad of mostly close friends, I felt relaxed  and not rushed for the first time in a while at our local match.  

I shot the match well, did not make any mistakes with the exception of 4 D's.  I shot a 97% on the classifier 99-42 and won the match by 6%.  Its actually the first time in almost two years that I have won our local match.  This was without a local Open GM being there that tends to win our matches.  

This weekend I have the Double tap match in witchita falls.  This match can be a little too gimmicky for me but the stages are easy overall and it will be with good friends.  I am going into the match feeling pretty confident.  I will dry fire every day this week and get to the range at least twice.  The following weekend I am considering shooting the Arkansas sectional.

Went to the range today with limited time.  Im sitting at 90% right now so I wanted to see where I was on a few drills.  

Draw to 1st shot at 7 yards

Bill Drill 7 yards

4 Aces 7 yards

10 Yard El Prez.  I was having some trigger freeze on the second shot after the turn.  Need to find a way to get the tension out of my strong hand on that drill. 

Blake Drill 7 yards.  The difference in my blake drill and bill drill tell me I need to work on transitions.  

I ran Ben's "doubles" drill at 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards.  Really focused on trying to see both shots.  

Tomorrow I plan to setup some mini stages as a last practice before double tap this weekend.  

Got to the range for a second time yesterday.  Setup 3 shooting positions using barrels and worked on a few combinations using that setup.  I also played around on the plate rack for a little while.  At 15 yards my best runs were in the low 4's.  Trying to speed up resulted in shots going a little low and hitting the cross bar.  Bens live fire book has a recomendation of 2.5s for 10 and 15 yard plate rack.  Its going to take some work to get there thats for sure, and a lot of ammo.  Shooting the plate rack eats ammo fast. 

Headed to doubletap this weekend.  Hoping to shoot a clean consistent match.  

The mount had to get cut in half after I stripped out the mounting screw...so I am out of the dot game for a while.

I think I learned a lot about what shot calling looks like playing with the dot.  I also learned that I can shoot while moving faster than I thought possible.  Not easy with irons but I know its possible now.  I think the dot also helps with over-aiming with irons, helps ingrain the idea of shooting as soon as you have the sight picture.  

I was surprised that switching back my index didn't need adjusting and the sights just aligned like normal.  I was really worried about that but evidently its not a problem.  I was wondering how guys shot different divisions all the time without any trouble.  

I could see throwing in a practice session with the dot once a month could be of benefit.  Im not sure I would gain anything by doing any more dry fire with the dot over irons.  

3391.jpeg

Edited by CrashDodson

I watched your Double Tap video. Your leaning shooting position stance need a lot of work. You almost always generate a tippy toe foot position or a locked knee on opposite leg of the lean. Doing either of these things completely ruins your ability to transition the gun with your legs. It also circumvents your ability to leave the position with real aggression. There is no need to do the tippy toe or locked knee stuff. The solution for this issue is usually bending the knees more to get slightly lower. This should produce a stance with both feet flat on the ground. 

Watch videos of the top shooters, NONE OF THEM are doing the tippy toe or locked knee stance stuff.

11 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I watched your Double Tap video. Your leaning shooting position stance need a lot of work. You almost always generate a tippy toe foot position or a locked knee on opposite leg of the lean. Doing either of these things completely ruins your ability to transition the gun with your legs. It also circumvents your ability to leave the position with real aggression. There is no need to do the tippy toe or locked knee stuff. The solution for this issue is usually bending the knees more to get slightly lower. This should produce a stance with both feet flat on the ground. 

Watch videos of the top shooters, NONE OF THEM are doing the tippy toe or locked knee stance stuff.

I agree that his feet are crazy, he should be lower, and should tend towards both feet wholly on the ground. I feel like transitions come more from the hips. Obviously the legs are involved but I don't think that general position "completely ruins" your ability to transition. The wider the transition the more it becomes a problem. I wouldn't want to be doing a 150 degree transition on one stiff leg but side by side target transitions really shouldn't be effected much at all.

As far as your last sentence, I spent about 5 seconds looking and found Max doing "tippy toe" stuff a bunch on one stage just fine. I don't think it would be very hard to find more examples. If you can train to be stable in that position and have an exit strategy to efficiently leave, I have no problem with using a stance like that in the correct circumstances. Again, I agree with your original assessment and prescription, I just think saying no top shooter does it is going too far. 

Yep I am wrong. Everyone can screw up the stance regardless of their skill level. But I doubt that many top shooters see that and say to themselves "Yep, that was the optimal way to handle the stance in that position".

Thanks for your reviews.  I dont know why I have gotten into that habit when leaning.  I suppose I do it because its more comfortable than squatting in every position, but I can see how it is more unstable than a flat footed platform.  I will try to focus on that this week along with my patience on steel.  I thought I was doing a lot better but I lost tons of time on steel makeups at this match...one stage, that I didnt post will make you cringe.  It seems like the mental part of speed changes from fast paper to small steel is still a problem for me.  

So when having to lean in a position I need to try to keep both feet flat and try to keep from straightening the opposite leg...I guess depending on how hard the lean is?

Why not include all stage runs in your videos? Are these videos only for entertainment? If they are being used to assess skill and seek guidance to improve skills then you should include all stage runs regardless of them being good, bad or ugly. All of your stage runs count for score do they not? So then why not include those less than desirable stage runs?

I setup something Similar to my disaster stage today.  Definitely more consistent away from match pressure.  Still had several uncalled misses on 8" steel. Both feet flat in a lean was pretty uncomfortable.  On a hard lean I dont see how you keep from straightening the inside leg.  I tried squatting lower and it seemed to make my sight picture unsteady.  If it's the better way I will keep working on it. 

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

I setup something Similar to my disaster stage today.  Definitely more consistent away from match pressure.  Still had several uncalled misses on 8" steel. Both feet flat in a lean was pretty uncomfortable.  On a hard lean I dont see how you keep from straightening the inside leg.  I tried squatting lower and it seemed to make my sight picture unsteady.  If it's the better way I will keep working on it. 

Don't expect a recent change to immediately be better than what you have been doing. When it comes to athletics being uncomfortable is usually a good indicator that you're on the right path. Let's put the work in every day and re-evaluate in 3 months.

Yoga is good, although I think the praises of it can be a bit over the top. I attack my flexibility problems through strength and conditioning and mobility wod. It's a subscription service and the information is more than worth it. It is impossible for me to overstate the value.

If you can get into all the bio mechanically ideal positions of a comprehensive strength and conditioning program, you will have normal full range of motion. Those positions are mostly covered by the 7 archetypes that Kelly talks about.