Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

puzzled over 45 ACP case

ghost21

I have 3 45 ACP cases they are marked

FC 98

45 auto

I was reloading some 45 ACP today when I ran into these cases , I tried to get a good picture of them but my camera was low on battery.

The primer pocket seem to be to small , they are not small primer 45 . They are large primer, When loading on the 550, I noticed that the primer was hard to knock out and that when I went to push the handle to seat a new primer it was very hard, actually I didn't get a primer seated in them . With the force I was going to have to use It would have popped a primer. (using FED LP primers).

Looking at the primer pockets with a magnifying glass I could see a small step that looked like a crimp ring ,But it wasn't ! I removed the ring with a primer pocket reamer ,And the pocket was still tight.

Has anyone noticed this about Federal brass? I have used thousands of Fed brass and never an issue till these !

Any input would be appreciated

!

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

Crimped. Throw them away or get a primer pocket swager.

Like I said I did take out the ring on one of the pieces of brass and still couldn't put a primer in it, Unless I forced it. And It may be a crimp ring I'm seeing, So Ill just sit them aside for now, I have to many 45 cases to worry about a few!

I had the same issue with some .223 brass I converted to 300 Blackout. It's almost like the pressure they put on the case to make the crimp ring squashes the pocket smaller. After tearing my fingers apart trying to ream all the pockets, I bought a swager and it's made things much easier!

• 4 weeks later...