Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Android PractiScore - When to Upgrade?

RaylanGivens

We've had several Android PractiScore updates recently... I recently upgraded our match scoring tablets to version 1.3.2 to cure a USPSA Classifier Update issue. v1.3.2 seems stable and there don't seem to be any problems, but I see a few items in newer version's changelogs and wonder if it would be wise to upgrade to a newer version...

v1.3.4 - "USPSA Minor only PF for Carry Optics" - Does this also change Production to Minor PF only? V1.3.2 allows Production to use Major.

v1.3.5 - "Slow sync without Internet connection" - Does this mean that syncing with local WiFi only (no Internet) will be faster than it is on v1.3.2?

v1.3.6 - "Fixed multi-stage review screen UI on tablets" I am familiar with a shooter's single-stage review screen that comes before saving a shooter's scores for one stage. What is a multi-stage review screen?

v1.3.6 - "USPSA classification update for unknown divisions" - Is this some kind of additional changes for the earlier Classification Update problem in PractiScore?

Have any of you upgraded to PractiScore v1.3.6 yet? Good results? Is it better? Stable?

I upgraded the tablets used by the IPDA shooters at our club to 1.3.6 today. I usually help test but haven't been able to dedicate as much time to Android testing as I have in the past. Because of this I haven't upgraded the tablets I use for steel challenge past 1.2.30 yet. I have one Android tablet I can test with so I'll put 1.3.6 on it and do some testing to see if I want to upgrade to it.

Generally, if you are experience any issues at all, update to the last version first. If issue still present, report it to support@practiscore.com

The worst you could do is to run a mix of different android versions at the same match. Because of that it is a good idea to verify what you are running on all your devices before your match starts.

In 1.3.6 there was a few sync issues fixed, though those may affect syncing scores edited on multiple devices and preserving scores history over sync. So, I highly recommend to update.

v1.3.6 - "Fixed multi-stage review screen UI on tablets" I am familiar with a shooter's single-stage review screen that comes before saving a shooter's scores for one stage. What is a multi-stage review screen?

When would you want do something like that? The only thing I can think of is when you have two stages in one shooting bay and want to walk each shooter from one stage to the next before moving to the next shooter. We solved that situation by using two separate PractiScore tablets... not as elegant a solution, but much simpler...

Edited by RaylanGivens

When would you want do something like that? The only thing I can think of is when you have two stages in one shooting bay and want to walk each shooter from one stage to the next before moving to the next shooter...

Precisely. Capture time for both stages on the same device, then score after both stages are done. Nothing really stops you from using multiple devices if you want, but this is another option.

Note that this won't work as good when different shooters are doing those stages.