Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye (Powder) for .45 ACP

RudyVey

Picked up a couple # of Bullseye and reloaded some test loads with 4.8 grain - bullet is Extreme 230 gr RN - even the Alliant site says 5.7 grains, I find these 4.8 grains a pretty hot load (no, I do not have a chronometer -yet). According to some of the relaoding manuals I have, this 4.8 gr seems to be the middle of the recommended ranges.

Normally I use Longshot (6.6 gr) and Titegroup (4.4 gr) for the same bullet and they feel both perfectly right.

Any recommendation for a good, not so hot load for Bullseye??

I'm assuming you are talking about the Xtreme lead bullets and not their plated. If that's the case, I would suspect that your 4.8 gn of BE put you well into the 800 fps range. Definitely hot and not what most would use for range loads. Social work may be a different story :-).

UncleTK, I'm a little surprised at the velocities you are quoting. I'd expect the 4.0 grains to net you closer to the 720 - 730 fps range. I run the lighter Xtreme 200 grain plated SWCs in my 5" RO and 4.0 grains of BE only gets me to 700 fps. Due to its heavier weight (and not being plated), I'd expect a 230 lead round would run about the same fps or maybe just a little faster at that load. I've got to run my 200 grain plated at 4.4 grains of BE to get to 750 fps.

Anybody have any chronograph data for Xtreme 230 lead RN using BE to verify this?

I'm assuming you are talking about the Xtreme lead bullets and not their plated. If that's the case, I would suspect that your 4.8 gn of BE put you well into the 800 fps range. Definitely hot and not what most would use for range loads. Social work may be a different story :-).

UncleTK, I'm a little surprised at the velocities you are quoting. I'd expect the 4.0 grains to net you closer to the 720 - 730 fps range. I run the lighter Xtreme 200 grain plated SWCs in my 5" RO and 4.0 grains of BE only gets me to 700 fps. Due to its heavier weight (and not being plated), I'd expect a 230 lead round would run about the same fps or maybe just a little faster at that load. I've got to run my 200 grain plated at 4.4 grains of BE to get to 750 fps.

Anybody have any chronograph data for Xtreme 230 lead RN using BE to verify this?

It is the copper plated Xtreme (not the heavy plate). Will reduce the load, and make sample 4, 4.2, 4.4 and see how they work. 4.8 is definitely quite a hot load (at least for me as a beginner).

Load plated like lead bullets--particularly if NOT heavy plated.

230gn lead and Bullseye: Start loads 4.0-4.7gn (velocity range from 724-860fps) and MAX loads 5.0-5.7gn (velocity range from 844-900fps). I start at 4.0 and work up. 4.0gn is almost "universal" target load for 230gn bullet.

For 230gn jacketed and Bullseye: start loads 3.6-5.2gn (600-850fps) and MAX loads 5.2-5.7gn (759-900fps).

Note: All load data was to SAAMI max pressure specifications. The high and low velocities do NOT match the high and low charge weights. It all depends on the gun, bullet, and mix of components and NONE of these from either group was an X-Treme plated bullet.

I consider a chronograph to be the least important reloading tool--EXCEPT for action pistol shooting.

Always check multiple sources and start at the lowest starting load.

>even the Alliant site says 5.7 grains

FOR MAX LOAD.

If the data is ONLY the max load, always reduce the max load by 10-12% for a starting load—see Alliant web page ( http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/), where they clearly state:

The individual accessing this site assumes the risk of safe loading practices.

Failure to do so could result in severe personal injury (or death) and/or property damage.

USE THIS DATA WITH ALLIANT BRAND POWDERS ONLY.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

DO NOT EXCEED THE LOADS DISPLAYED ON THE SITE OR ALLIANT'S RELOADERS GUIDE.

Edited by noylj

I had used 4.3 gr of Bullseye with the 230 gr cast bullet, achieving around 169 PF with decent results. The only fault with Bullseye I found, is it tends to smoke a little more than some of the other powders. As stated earlier, 5.0 gr of Bullseye was a factory hardball duplication load. That 5.7 gr load of Bullseye must be in the +P+ range. It will beat your gun pretty bad. Some of the data offered by the powder manufactures is kind of vague, as it is seldom mentioned in any great detail on how, and under what conditions they achieved those results. If your goal is USPSA major, I would start at 4.3 gr, and work up or down to get to where you want to be. No sense beating up yourself and your gun, any more than necessiary.

I'm kind of surprised by some of the data and velocities mentioned above. 4.0gr Bullseye ahead of a 200gr LSWC is a standard bullseye load. Aliiant lists it in their manuals as going 790fps. It chronos between 780 and 800 in different 5" 1911s. Substituting a 230gr Lead pushes the velocity to 810fps @ 13900psi according to Alliant.

I don't load plated bullets in 45ACP, but I do in 40sw. Xtreme regular plate bullets are about 30fps slower than cast, lubed lead for the same load. So, I'd expect the same performance drop in 45. I'd expect 4.1 would get you to factory 830fps with lead and 4.2 with Xtreme (4.3 at the outside).

Corrects from POST #2

Current USPSA Single Stack Load

X-Treme (Plated) 230 RN and 3.9 Grains of N310 (CCI350) I am getting 745 FPS or power factor of 171
X-Treme (Plated) 230 RN and 4.0 Grains of N310 (CCI350) I am getting 775 FPS or power factor of 178
Old USPSA Single Stack Load
Lyman 230 Lead Round Nose (Cast by Me from Wheel Weights) 4.1 Grains of Bullseye (CCI350) I was getting 751 FPS
J&K Hard Cast Lead SWC 4.1 Grains of Bullseye (CCI350) I was getting 791 FPS

I've been loading XTreme 230gr PRN projectiles over 4.8gr of Bullseye for a number of years. They shoot well, clean and accurate. No pressure signs, very controllable recoil and at 4.8gr they're still loaded under the standard government load. I've looked at the fired plated projectiles and the plating maintains its integrity at this load.

• 2 weeks later...

I run 4.5gr BE under a 200gr SWC. Most accurate load I have found in my TRP so far. I probably right under major PF though, but it shoots nice and soft.

Side note, the above will NOT reliably function a stock Glock 21. Not enough power to cycle the gun every time.