Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blake Drill.

Onepocket

So how many times do you shoot them? Is there any order to the shooting order? What exactly are you doing with these three targets? From the holster? What hand start position? Please be more specific.

Basically you are doing a Bill drill with 3 targets, 2 rounds each. Your goal is to have the same time with the blake as you do with a bill drill. This would mean your splits and transitions are the same. To me it's not worth doing it at more than 10-15 yards to keep the focus on the transition. At longer ranges the transitions aren't as difficult because your not moving the gun as far.

This drill was originally designed to be shot at 7 yds and as was just pointed out doing at longer distances defeats the objective of this drill - which is to learn to increase your transition speed ... Not your distant shooting skills .....

The technique for this drill is as follows:

Shoot the drill at your normal match speed and note your transition times. Then shoot the drill so that your splits and transitions are all at the same speed as your slowest transition. Once you are able to shoot the drill with transitions and splits all being the same you then try to speed up but always with keeping splits and transition the same

Instead of the typical bang, bang ....... bang, bang ......... bang, bang most shooters do for 3 targets next to eachother your cadence should be bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang .......

Edited by Nimitz

I try and shoot the first five super clean all A's. then after that I go faster till the wheels fall off. Then pull it back together slowing down just a bit. To be honest I have a hit factor calculator

I use on all drills and my wheels falling off produce the best hit factors. Lots of times I will throw in a reload and put two back too back. I think if you are a USPSA shooter this is one if the best drills you can practice. Transitions eat lots if time.

When we teach I like to do this one from low ready rather than from the draw, that way I am eliminating the draw mechanic (and the associated chance or getting a bad grip, etc) of it and focusing on the point of the drill, which is to work transitions. When students are new-ish having the draw followed by a drill that puts them out of their normal comfort zone/shooting cadence seems to not be the best strategy a lot of the time.

I'll give the students a beep and then any time after that they are free to start. We are only looking at the first split and following transition times. This helps eliminate a lot of the tension they may feel too.

Just another way to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At 7 yards, I can usually pull off 1.80-2.00s with all As. Both splits and transitions are around .17-.21s.

I'm currently working on it at 10 yards. My accuracy falls off quite a bit between 7 to 10.

Edited by FTDMFR

• 4 months later...

From skills and drills I thought the standard was 10 yards and "GM" time is 2.25secs.

I think the "B" class time was 2.50 seconds at 10y....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk