Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow Preventive Maintenance

Just4FunLP

OK. This is my third new topic since I ordered my CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow.

I'm a maintenance manager at a manufacturing plant, and know better than anyone that you gather facts on equipment durability and replace stuff before performance suffers. Even so, I've allowed myself to experience major match disappointments due to bad mag springs and a worn extractor. I also let my last gun to get worn to the point that accuracy was falling off.

Please tell me your experiences with worn parts on your (similar) guns. I expect to put about 20 to 30K rounds a year through mine. I asked the guy at CZ custom about PM intervals, but all he mentioned was changing recoil springs every 3K. 3K seems pretty low, if that's what others experience then that's what it needs to be. Just please only mention facts you've experienced.

I really appreciate your input.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trigger return spring. Get spares, and look at CGW trigger pin to make swapping them easier. I had one break during a practice session and the gun is useless till its replaced. At the time I had the stock pin in and it was a PIA to get out and back in after replacing the spring. I can't speak for longevity of the spring yet as the gun it fail in was new to me but used. My new accu has a few thousand rounds through it with no issues yet. But to be safe I already swapped out the stock pin for the cgw pin. I can't say enough about how much of a pain in the A it was to get the stock one out. I bent two punches before it came loose. Cgw pin just slides in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local guy had his trigger return spring break on his SP01 Shadow last night. He figures it has about 50k rounds through it.

Personally I mostly see broken slide stop pins and front sight fiber rods, so those are good parts to carry.

+1 on CGW floating trigger pin and CGW trigger return spring. I have been replacing the recoil spring every 5k rounds. I am using CGW springs vs OEM, not sure if that makes a difference. With the round count you are describing I would replace the TRS and hammer spring mid way through the shooting season and at the end, ~15k. If you do a lot of dry fire you might want to change the TRS quarterly I also recommend having a slide stop for practice and one for match. When the practice one breaks move the match to practice duty and then get a new one for match.

SP01. YMMV

Part/Average Life Rnds
Slide Stop 14,812 22,720 32,216 39,185 49,155
Avg. 9,831 14,812 7,908 9,496 6,969 9,970
SD Pop. 2,714
Rds on current part 10,656

Trigger Return Spring 18,036 32,453
Avg. 16,227 18,036 14,417
SD Pop. 1,810
Rds on current part 27,358

Extractor 27,175
Avg. 27,175 27,175
SD Pop. -
Rds on current part 32,636

Edited by GeneBray

I've passed 40k round in my Accu Shadow and 10k in my backup Shadow.

Worn extractor: make sure it's not gunk building up under the extractor and interfering with its operation. I go in with a dental pick and clean it out every 5k rounds or so. You can't just blast it out with brake cleaner, you have to pull the part and get in there.

CZ Custom and CGW both sell TRSs that will last 10k rounds with copious dry fire. I prefer the heavier CZC model. Less chance of trigger freeze when shredding close targets IMO.

I've never broken a slide stop but change mine every 10k rounds along with the main and recoil springs. I'm running a 11.5# main and 13# recoil (124gr. bullet, CCI primers).

The firing pin does shorten over time. I replace mine at 20k rounds along with the spring. This is also with dry firing most every day.

I hate counting so I just change every spring in the gun at 6 month intervals. Recoil, main, firing pin, extractor, trigger return and all magazines. I average 600 rounds a week, year round. So I get about 14k rounds on everything before I change it.

Slide stop is changed every year. Fiber rod is changed every two months. So for far less than $200 a year my gun runs perfectly and that seems like a cheap insurance policy to me.

Edited by rowdyb

I concur with the trigger return spring. Have some extras. Had it break on both my primary and backup Accu. Swapped out with a CGW reduced power trigger spring and floating trigger pin and haven't had any more issues.

But I have many spare parts and springs on hand in case something should happen. Because as with any gun, it probably will.

I've passed 40k round in my Accu Shadow and 10k in my backup Shadow.

Worn extractor: make sure it's not gunk building up under the extractor and interfering with its operation. I go in with a dental pick and clean it out every 5k rounds or so. You can't just blast it out with brake cleaner, you have to pull the part and get in there.

CZ Custom and CGW both sell TRSs that will last 10k rounds with copious dry fire. I prefer the heavier CZC model. Less chance of trigger freeze when shredding close targets IMO.

I've never broken a slide stop but change mine every 10k rounds along with the main and recoil springs. I'm running a 11.5# main and 13# recoil (124gr. bullet, CCI primers).

The firing pin does shorten over time. I replace mine at 20k rounds along with the spring. This is also with dry firing most every day.

How much crud builds up behind the extractor surprises me every time I pull it to clean.

I've broken one Cajun Gun Works TRS right at 5,000 round + tons of dry fire. The replacement that went into the gun lasted 15,000 and was still working when I replaced it as part of my planned maintainence.

I replaced 11 lb recoil spring around 10k and 11.5 hammer spring at 20k rounds.

Now that I have 2 guns set up, I'll run the practice gun until the slide stop breaks, and then move the one from the match gun into it and put a new one into the match gun. I'll probably do the same with the firing pin.

Edited by bthoefer

How about a deep cleaning schedule?

I'm starting to see the occasional (1/100 + -) failure to fire (8.5# recoil spring federal primers) and yesterday at a match my mags did not want to drop every time without a bit of shaking. This is on a 75 that was new 3000 ish rounds ago (maybe closer to 4000 or so I really should start keeping track I suppose) but has only had the basic top end clean and lube since then.

I'm new to cz's (1911/2011 person) and used to not doing anything with springs or disassembly for at least 10,000 rounds so maybe I am behind the 8 ball.

• 1 month later...

OK. I really appreciate all the feedback. I finally had some time to work on this today, and after reviewing your responses I came up with the following list. I changed some of the intervals to make it fit a quarterly, semiannual, and annual PM schedule. Like rowdyb I'm not going to count rounds, so this is based on 25 - 30 thousand rounds a year...

post-48693-0-45840800-1451439713_thumb.j

I don't know exactly which springs came with my gun (CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow). I guess I can contact CZ Custom of CGW to find out. I also looked on CGW and CZ Custom for a firing pin, and it appears the only one available for the non firing pin block guns is the extended Firing Pin 10229 from CZ custom. I'm a little confused about this.

Please suggest any changes or corrections. I really don't have any preferences on vendors. Just to be on the safe side I want to buy a set of springs that match what's in the gun now, but I wouldn't mind experimenting if it will be an improvement. I just don't want to adversely affect reliability. This is going to cost a little more than I expected, so let me know if there's anything that's total overkill. My goal is to eliminate failures and maintain consistency, but I'm not exactly going for a world championship either. Even so, it still sucks when your gun craps out during a match.

Thanks

I hate counting so I just change every spring in the gun at 6 month intervals. Recoil, main, firing pin, extractor, trigger return and all magazines. I average 600 rounds a week, year round. So I get about 14k rounds on everything before I change it.

Slide stop is changed every year. Fiber rod is changed every two months. So for far less than $200 a year my gun runs perfectly and that seems like a cheap insurance policy to me.

Don't overthink this ... Just do what Rowdyb does & spend your time worrying about shooting & not maintenance ... Edited by Nimitz

you can get everything from CGW, His firing pin has a life time replacement. http://cajungunworks.com/product/ext-fp-extended-firing-pin/

you will not have to replace it that much if ever, put 1 in your gun & 1 spare, I don't recall any reports of one of Dave's firing pins going bad.

On your schedule bump up the slide stop by 1,

Trigger return + 1 for now (new design coming soon from CGW),

Recoil spring 1 a year, unless you see your brass falling more then 10+' away. When you have the right spring # when your brass is falling 6-8' away.

Extractor, remove & clean 6mo, replace with spring 12-18mo just as a precaution.

mag springs 1 time, your running production, the most you putting in an 18 round mag is 11, springs are not getting worked that hard. I still have my factory mag springs 3+ years (21,000+ rounds) you are not going to need to replace them that often.

Hammer spring, only if you start to get light strikes that are not due to high primers.

If you are going to change all of your parts to your posted schedule, I would take them off your hands if you are going to discard them. :)

Please suggest any changes or corrections.

Throw schedule away, Murphy's laws can not be broken.

Use one gun for practice & match back up and another for match.

Fix first gun when it breaks. At a match use practice gun if/when something happens to match gun.

Once a year freshen parts in both guns and reset the clock to zero if you wish.

Just me though and I am more like 15k rounds per year than 30, so you could reset the clock more often if desired.

Not that I know of. I am a firm believer in "the best spare part is another gun".

My personal rule is change every single spring in the gun and mags every 6 months irrespective of round count. And if I fly to the match, spent more than $100 on entry or drove more than two hours to get there I absolutely take a spare gun.

My personal rule is change every single spring in the gun and mags every 6 months irrespective of round count.

Was wondering about mag springs.

I'm using 17 round mags in my production gun, I will load my start mag to 11and that is the most any mag ever sees. I am thinking that those springs will never need to be changed, but time will tell I guess.

My personal rule is change every single spring in the gun and mags every 6 months irrespective of round count.

I'm using 17 round mags in my production gun, I will load my start mag to 11and that is the most any mag ever sees. I am thinking that those springs will never need to be changed, but time will tell I guess.

It's not how many rounds you load in the mag but how many cycles it goes through loading and being unloaded that matter.

It's not how many rounds you load in the mag but how many cycles it goes through loading and being unloaded that matter.

I think the car analogy applies here. Light stress/moderate change between full compression and at rest compression and valve springs will go well beyond 100,000 miles. Install high lift cams - not so much.

• 10 months later...

I just updated my maintenance schedule and thought I'd share it with you... 

I'm a maintenance manager, and one thing you learn is that if you don't want a machine to fail when you really need it you better replace parts before they break.  The run to failure plan is ok for practice sessions, but kind of sucks for big matches.  I've actually experienced failures with most of the items on this list.  The cost is kind of frightening, but it is what it is.  Adjust the frequency to match your rounds/yr.  

Enjoy

PM Schedule CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow.JPG

PM Schedule CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow (1).xlsx

nicely done! thanks for sharing.

so after hearing what we said and now doing it yourself, what do you think are your biggest take-aways?

$400 bucks to a year to keep two guns running great seems like a good deal to me.....

Edited by rowdyb