Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and .45

GMyers

The 185 load I worked up for the book was:

185 Montana Gold, loaded to 1.235" oal (long for a 185)

5.9 gr Titegroup

948 fps

11.3 Sd

28.5 Es

175PF

Loaded long to feed, and requiring more powder as a result.  If you load down to the normal length, use 5.2-5.3 gr.  If you're loading 185 LSWC, start at 5.2 and work up.

Patrick,

I shot a new load this weekend;

185gr Remington JHP

5.0gr Titegroup

Winchester LPP

various cases

oal: 1.185 +/- .003

This load seems real punchy to me.  Based on the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The results;

STI 5" bull barrel, 1.190" OAL, West Coast 180 JTC,

4.4 Viht N-310

934 fps

5.7 Sd

12.3 Es

169 PF

4.2 Titegroup

939  fps

11.6 Sd

28.1 Es

169 PF

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from a post of yours elsewhere on this forum, would 4.2 to 4.5 be a safe load to use with the Rem. 185gr JHP?  The published Titegroup information says to drop 10% from a max of 5.5gr.  Experimenting with non-published loads is something that I have no experience with and can't afford to get it wrong!

Of Titegroup and Vit. 320 which do you prefer and why?

I hope to be able to make use of a chronograph soon so I can check for legal power factor.

Thanks for all of your assistance!

BTW, I don't know much of you new book.  Is it out yet? What is the title?  What major topics are covered?  Thanks.

(Edited by GMyers at 10:57 pm on Sep. 9, 2001)

Some powders you can download and get a nice, even curve down in velocity.  You shouldn't have any problems with Titegroup, it was developed for Cowboy loads, and those guys make PPC loads look punchy.

The Laser Cast loading manual has some downloading info, and was developed for competitive shooters, so some calibers will have separate loads for Steel, IPSC and Pins.

You definitely want to have a chrono when developing loads.  I was at our range one time when Bruce Britt (nice guy and killer pin shooter) was breaking in his new Les Baer stock gun.  He had developed a new pin load using 255 L-SWC, and was working the 100 yard gongs hard with it.  I tried one shot, then went up and got my chrono out of the truck.  He was pushing 255's at 900 fps, in a .45ACP.  You bet they took pins off briskly, at a 230PF!

The newest book is on the 1911, and comes out in the fall.  An overview, then test-firing over two dozen guns, eight or ten calibers, buckets of ammo, it was fun but it was work.

RichardB,

I have never used Precision Bullets but I load my 200gr SWC's at 1.245. To determine OAL check to see what fits in your chamber. If your the rifling has not been chamfered for SWC's (some come that way, some don't) the shoulder of the SWC will engage the rifling before the case seats in the chamber. If you drop a round in your chamber (200gr SWC) loaded @ 1.245 and it does not go in enough to go past the hood and go "plunk" then the bullet is probably  hitting the rifling and you need to take it to a GS and have the barrel set up for SWC's. Look in your barrel from the chamber end and see if there is a small gap between where the chamber ends and the rifling starts. This gap is neccessary for the shoulder of the SWC to fit in the barrel.

SWC's can be tricky to make them feed 100% reliable.

Thanks, Singlestack!

I have used LSWC's before and arrived at 1.245" OAL by the same process. It is reassuring to have some confirmation on this. I have been separating once-fired mixed brass (from hardball ammo-PMC and Winchester-bought on sale) according to average case length to make consistent batches, but am going to follow Brian's book and order a quantity of virgin brass for match ammo. Can anyone tell me which supplier's brass is closest to spec (.898) length?

RichardB,

I would not even have the slightest clue who's brass is the closest to .898. To be honest, I could not care less. I don't shoot bulls eye so if I can get better groups off of a rest then I can free hand I'm happy. I just don't believe I need to squeeze that much accuracy out of a round that I'm going to take less than a half a second on the sight picture with (hopefully much less). I shoot anything that is not split and "plunks". I don't measure it and the only separating I do is I separate brass from nickle ( for no reason other than I like to shoot all one or the other for looks lol). IMO it is just not neccesary in a .45 shooting IPSC.

I am more picky about my .40 brass though.....

Have you tried a 225gr TFP? I shot 200gr SWC's for over a year and now my fav is the 225 TFP. Less powder, less recoil, slightly slower slide but is still faster than me. Cheeper to shoot. I used to get a little leading with 200's and I get none with the 225's. Pick up a pound of vn320 and some 225gr TFP's and load them over 4.3g vn320 @ 1.119 and give em a try. Bet ya like it. :)

John,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I get perfectionistic about reloading! It's really unnecessary in many respects, but it is an outlet for this precisionist urge of mine. I had just reread Dean Grennell's book, "ABC's of Reloading", and he makes some fuss over the fact that .45ACP brass gets shorter each time it is reloaded. It doesn't really matter much, especially since I reload them only 2-3 times anyway. I'll try some TFP's, as you suggest, but what does TFP stand for; also is vn320 a Vihtavouri powder?

Thanks,

Richard

RichardB,

First, I will buy any brass that you only load 2 or 3 times. I have brass that have been shot so many times the head stamp is worn off. There are only 3 kinds of .45 brass I throw away, Amerc, split and those that don't plunk.

A TFP is a truncated flat point.

VN320 is a Vihtavouri powder and my favorite for .45's and .40's.

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist about reloading.