Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Update on reloading military blanks into live rounds

rustybayonet

I did some digging and experiments, here are the results:

This is about military blanks.

As mr.Dillon talked about in another thread, blanks that could not be used for live ammo but usable for blanks will have the neck crimped and are produced in a live ammo area. They were used for grenade launchers and will blow up a blank adapted weapon. They have a black tip. They are no good at all to make live ammo.

The next type is what I am playing with. The cartrige will be as long as a live unfired round. They will have the crimp above the neck, where the bullet would normally sit. The ones I have been working with have a thicker case, so less internal volume and power charge will have to be worked acorddingly.

Once I actually finish and fire one I will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have tried the 7.62 nato blanks, and they worked great. The neck lenth was a little short but a 100m no problem with acuracy. I havent checked to see if they stretched enough to bring the neck into spec yet. Next venture will be 5.56.

• 2 weeks later...

I have reloaded the 5.56 out of 50 only 3 did not seem any good. They had thicker than normal case walls, compared to standard live 5.56. Again the neck lenght was short but will still hold the bullet. I think they will shoot fine, but I do not think I can hit a 2'x2' at 500m.