Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B or 650

I know, this seems to be a pretty cut and dried decision, but I'm thinking about recapitalizing my reloading equipment and can probably find a couple of Square Deal B presses for a pretty affordable price. If I had 2, I could run large primer and small primer on separate presses, which would be a nice thing to have. I could not afford a second 650 for a few years (at least), so I'd have to convert back and forth.

Is there a really compelling reason not to run a Square Deal B press at all in favor of acquiring a 650 later? I know the 650 has lots of bells and whistles, I just don't know whether they're enough to make a really convincing argument in favor of the 650 for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance.

The SD is for pistol only and uses Dillon proprietary dies. You cannot add a bullet feeder or case feeder. It has a fairly small tool head so it can be crowded. Don't expect more than 300 or so rounds per hour, less if you inspect your brass before loading. Lots of guys have several SD's setup for different pistol calibers. The 650 uses standard dies, has 5 stations, runs a rotary primer instead of linear, is much faster, and you can add a case feeder. It will do rifle also. I would ask how many rounds a month are you shooting now, and do you shoot, or plan to reload for rifle later?

I run a SD for 9mm, 550 for .357SIG and .223Rem, RockChucker for .35Rem and .243Win.

image37129.jpg

Edited by 9x45

What are your ammunition needs? As 9 x45 pointed out, 300 rounds per hour is a realistic output for the SDB. It is limited to the common straightwall handgun cases as far as its capabilities.

That said, the ammunition is of the same quality as that loaded on more expensive Dillon equipment. It truly depends on your caliber needs , and how much ammo a month you can shoot versus

how much time you can devote to reload each month.

I thought a sd would do better than 300 an hour? On my 550 im pushing 100 in 15 min and I'm a beginner to progressive presses. I thought the auto index would speed up things. I went with the 550 from a single stage so I love it and I want to do lotsa different calibers.

Auto indexing in-and-of itself is neither faster nor slower than manual indexing. Think of it like a manual vs. an automatic transmission in a car. The RL550B has more room in the larger frame opening to insert brass and bullets, as it is designed to accommodate rifle as well as handgun ammunition. This is why the 550B can usually have a greater output.

I have had two SD's for 30 years and still use them from time to time (despite having 550,650and 1050's on the bench too) just depends on what I want or need. If everything is ready to go I can load 100 rounds on one in 9 and a half minutes.

There are compelling reasons to buy a 650 instead of a SDB.

Changing the priming system from small to large is about a 10 minute job. You will be changing calibers so the shell plate will be off anyway. Doing a caliber change on a 650 is a 20 minute job. Easy peasy!

Doing a caliber change on a 650 is a 20 minute job.

And that's why I still keep mine, keep the volume machine setup for the rounds I shoot most and the SD's for lower volume pistol rounds. In the time it would take me to swap a 650 or 1050 over and back to the original caliber when finished I can load hundreds of rounds on one of the SD's.

Depends on volume needs/number of calibers you're reloading and how much time you have

to reload ...

I've used a SDB to load at least 50,000 9mm rounds (minor and major) but I have the time

to reload only 200 rounds/hour and meet my needs.

If you load a lot of ammo, and have little time to do it, you would be better off with a 650.

If you reload .40 major, I wouldn't recommend a SDB since you can't use the proprietary

sizing dies that eliminate the possibility of bullet set back. :cheers:

why arent you considering a 550?

Mostly because I'm too lazy to manually index! :devil:

The SD is for pistol only and uses Dillon proprietary dies. You cannot add a bullet feeder or case feeder. It has a fairly small tool head so it can be crowded. Don't expect more than 300 or so rounds per hour, less if you inspect your brass before loading. Lots of guys have several SD's setup for different pistol calibers. The 650 uses standard dies, has 5 stations, runs a rotary primer instead of linear, is much faster, and you can add a case feeder. It will do rifle also. I would ask how many rounds a month are you shooting now, and do you shoot, or plan to reload for rifle later?

I run a SD for 9mm, 550 for .357SIG and .223Rem, RockChucker for .35Rem and .243Win.

image37129.jpg

What are your ammunition needs? As 9 x45 pointed out, 300 rounds per hour is a realistic output for the SDB. It is limited to the common straightwall handgun cases as far as its capabilities.

That said, the ammunition is of the same quality as that loaded on more expensive Dillon equipment. It truly depends on your caliber needs , and how much ammo a month you can shoot versus

how much time you can devote to reload each month.

This is probably the point that drives it home for me, honestly. I would like to reload rifle calibers, too, so an SDB would be out. It would be better for me to go with a 650 and do the caliber change.

Thanks for all of your help!

If you reload .40 major, I wouldn't recommend a SDB since you can't use the proprietary

sizing dies that eliminate the possibility of bullet set back.

What brand sizing die is that?

I never had any set back problems on my SD's loading 40 or 10mm.

Frag you will be happy with your choice.

Just timed myself on the SD: 300 9 mm rounds reloaded in 35 minutes. I have primer tubes filled, so this time includes the refill of the primer reservoir on the SD twice (I have five primer pickup tubes ready, so this increases the speed). Could imagine to reload 500 rounds per hour is absolutely possible.

However, if you need to fill the pick-up tubes, I would say one can easily reload 300 rounds per hours

I have primer pickup tubes, brass and bullets ready, and this is an easy going speed for me, not a speed that is rushing it.

There is a small LED light on my SD, over the stage where the bullets is inserted, so I can see that there was powder dropped.

300 an hour is good going on the sdb. It has be said though on a 650 with case and bullet feeders you can comfortably do 100 in 5 min just at a steady rate. Pulling like mad you could cut that down but you'd be probably feeling it in your shoulder after 500 rounds or so!

Converting calibres on the 650 is nothing to be worried about. For me if the choice is 2 x sdb or a 650 with extra toolhead I think the 650 is a better choice. You can upgrade to a bullet feeder later but even with just the case feeder 600+ rounds an hour is easy pace. You can also do rifle cals if you wish. The sdb is good for a purpose but not really upgradeable as your needs change.

300 rounds in 35 minutes on a SD is like a Grand Master Open time. The reason I am at 200-300 an hour is because I inspect every single piece of brass on the way and also because my arthritis makes it more difficult to place the case on a SD. But I cull out crimped mil brass, bulged open brass, and shit stamps like ITM, Freedom, AmmoLoad. These stamps all have a stepped case which will separate during firing and make your gun dead. It leaves a sleeve of brass in the chamber.

image36944.jpg

300 rounds in 35 minutes on a SD is like a Grand Master Open time. I am at 200-300 an hour because I inspect every single piece of brass

+1. I load about 200 rounds/hour, including filling the primer tubes and placing the cartridges into ammo boxes.

I could go a bit faster, but I get bored and tired, and quit once I get to 100 or 200 rounds.

There isn't any way I could get close to 300 rounds in 35 minutes.

The DIllon Selector, for those who don't have a copy of the Blue Press. I know guys that are getting 1,800 rounds per hour out of a 1050 with a bullet feeder. For pistol, it boils down to how much money do you want to spend, and how much time do you have? If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't reload anyway, just buy it. But since I'm retired, 200 rounds per hour on the SD works, after all, I have all week to get ready for a match...,.,

image37138.jpg

Could imagine to reload 500 rounds per hour is absolutely possible.

Many, many years ago my Brother and I managed 800 something rounds an hour on one, had primer tubes loaded and he was the operator/case feeder and I was the bullet feeder. He only mashed my fingers twice before I suggested a position swap and he settled down on the up stroke.

Pretty dumb looking back on it but I would trade all of my reloading gear I have now to load with him again on one of our SD's.

After a thread here on the subject I also threw this together to show it wouldn't be impossible to add case feed to an SD either. At that point you would significantly reduce the speed gap between an SD and 650.

Edited by jmorris

I started with the SDB to load 9mm, .38 spl., .40, and .45 ACP. Now I have sold the SDB and have (2) 650 - One for 9mm and one for .40 - the two I shoot the most. Only reason I have two is because I got the second one cheap. I then bought a used SDB from a friend to load .45 and .38 spl. - ones I don't shoot often. I find that 20 mins to change over and 20 mins to change back is too much time...especially switching between small and large primers...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a SD, 550 and 650. They all do their job. The SD for 9mm stock, 550 is for 45acp and 650 is for 9mm competition and 40sw. If I do rifles it might be on the 550. I also have a rock chucker single stage for 308. I think I am set.

If you have the money get a 1050 for your most used cartridge.

If not, a SDB is a great deal.

I could do 100rds. in 9 minutes for the .45. The 9mm takes almost 15 min. Per 100. Mostly because of crappy mixed brass. And starting a bullet straight is harder. And crimped primer pockets jam it up.

But that's still 400 rds an hour minimum.