Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Open Division

Sgtsvi

Ok guys,

I broke down and picked up an open SV with about 200 rounds fired through it this week. I am researching on these forums what loads to use. Do you all think the IMR 7625 powder will be suitable for the type of comp I have on this gun. I also plan on shooting 124 gr. MG's out of this one.

Thanks,

Dave

post-2458-1111861560_thumb.jpg

post-2458-1111861574_thumb.jpg

I have never used IMR powder. I have been shooting limited division and using Titegroup for the last few months. I should be getting my "B" card soon in limited. Now I have to shoot some classifiers in open.

Dave

7625 is a denser powder and doesn't compleyely fill the case.  The recoil impulse is a little snappier with the 7625 too.

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Is there really that much of a difference in the recoil impulse and what are your load specs if you don't mind me asking.

SGTGLOCK,

I currently use 7625 also, with similar barrel ports, but a different comp.. I use miexd cases, including super comp. My load is 7.4 grains 7625, 125 Zero JHP, loaded to 1.250 OAL. No pressure signs, been a good powder, but I am going to test some others.

Sgtglock,

7625 or 4756 are both good powders at good prices. If you like the feel of your Titegroup loads, 7625 is probably going to be closer to those, 4756 shoots soft and very smooth in my shorty. If you try out 4756, start at 9.0 grains in a 5" gun and work up from there, YMMV.

[more drift]

According to Bob, if you shoot a high volume of rounds using 7625, you'll burn the barrel/comp up because the powder of the speed of the powder, and amount needed to make major in a short, ported gun.

[end drift]

[more drift]

According to Bob, if you shoot a high volume of rounds using 7625, you'll burn the barrel/comp up because the powder of the speed of the powder, and amount needed to make major in a short, ported gun.

[end drift]

Just how many rounds are we talking? I just started using 7625 in my 5" gun and am loading 7.3 gr. for 1360 fps with a 124 gr. MG CMJ. I have also tested 3N37 and just bought some 3N38 to do some more testing. I really like the economy of the 7625 (about $85 for an 8 lb tote versus $85 for 4 lbs of 3N38), but if I will have to replace the barrel more frequently, I can't see the gain.

What's everyone else experiencing?

Don't know about barrel wear, but you will find that imr7625 is a very QUIET powder for Open division and it also has very little rocket effect, which is nice when shooting around barricades. It's pretty well burned up by the time it gets to the last port of your compensator, is why.

I had a hard time avoiding pressure signs with 7625 and also 4756, likely because the powder takes up nearly the whole case & gets compressed. Compressed loads can also lead to OAL issues [too long] which is a problem several of us had with N105 powder.

If you find pressure signs with any Super load, you can always go to the lower-pressure powders which are Vectan SP2, 3n38, and the old stand-by HS6. Then have your gunsmith check for headspace and freebore in your barrel - you should have a few 1/1000" of an inch for both.

parsonm1,

I wouldn't worry about it in a 5", I think Ron Francisco is running about 7.8 grs of 7625 to make major in his ProSx. A half grain will make a pretty big difference in chamber pressures. Max Michel Jr. uses 7625 in his 5" Trubor with 2 blowholes, so you have nothing to worry about.

7.8 or so 7625 works great in my shorty. 60,000 rounds and still going strong on the original barrel and comp. I haven't seen any erosion either, btw.

I didn't like 4756 as much-- too much spillage when loading.

dave,

shoot Ken Hicks open gun if he has it at the tyler match..

hes loading 4756 unless hes changed.

I shot a buddies major 9mm gun with 7625 and MG 124s...i think he was loading 7.0 grains and about 1.18 inches OAL. not much pressure signs to speak of..some primers were a little flat, but ive seen worse with the supers.

I also shot some rounds loaded with 9.0 grains of SP2..I believe i liked the SP2 loads better, they were just a hell of a lot louder!!!

i would really look into IMR 4756. when most of the local masters are using it in totally different guns ( 5 year old dawson gun with hybrid barrel Vs circa 2002 brazos Pro SX) It might be something to try.

in my VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE, 7625 has more muzzle flip than 4756.