Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's See Your Limited 6 Gear

I see Rhinos come with moon clips now (noticed that just recently) ... (and TK stocks them).

Wow ... a trigger job ... race holster ... cool ... If you wanted to be the odd man (or "more" odd) ... this would be the ticket.

Just sayin' ... :roflol:

Edited by pete627

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Rhinos come with moon clips now (noticed that just recently) ... (and TK stocks them).

Wow ... a trigger job ... race holster ... cool ... If you wanted to be the odd man (or "more" odd) ... this would be the ticket.

We have a new club member whose only revolver is a rhino, I thought it would be fun to say the least.

Going to try my 6" GP100 I had converted over to .40 a couple years ago - about the same time the 8-shot was approved for USPSA. Haven't had much opportunity to shoot it but seems like it ought to work in Limited 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running the factory grips. They are the most comfortable I've found and they have a dishout on the upper left side for the speedloader. But then I don't have to worry about a speedloader anymore :cheers:

post-5064-0-18033600-1453922411_thumb.jp

post-5064-0-65956000-1453922422_thumb.jp

post-5064-0-16051500-1453922437_thumb.jp

post-5064-0-16465500-1453922450_thumb.jp

Edited by COF

I'm running the factory grips. They are the most comfortable I've found and they have a dishout on the upper left side for the speedloader. But then I don't have to worry about a speedloader anymore :cheers:

That's the grips I have, or at least they look exactly the same.

For me, it is tight enough that getting a Safariland Comp 3 to release is sometimes a struggle.

I'll see if I can find the picture. It consists of taking away a lot of the plastic holding the rounds in place. Thus having a lesser chance of pulling the round out when removing the speedloader. Bubberizing is really a misnomer. I learned the process from Mike Henry, Gene Marshall, and Phil Rosato. We shared the info we had on the process and learned how to refine the process. We were not alone in the trials as few guys in California were also involved like Derrick Zavada and the Southwest California Guys.

Thanks pertime. it is a good article with good pictures and great narrative. The process is the same but I use different equipment. I have access to a cheap mini lathe and take down the outside a bit. A bit is to the point that the rims of the rounds protrude beyond the loader enabling more clearance for the grips and frame.

I'll see if I can find the picture. It consists of taking away a lot of the plastic holding the rounds in place. Thus having a lesser chance of pulling the round out when removing the speedloader. Bubberizing is really a misnomer. I learned the process from Mike Henry, Gene Marshall, and Phil Rosato. We shared the info we had on the process and learned how to refine the process. We were not alone in the trials as few guys in California were also involved like Derrick Zavada and the Southwest California Guys.

Sounds suspiciously like a group I heard about called "The Wild Bunch". Don't believe I saw em but I did see the wanted posters.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a least a couple of replies in this thread from people saying they were running L-frames cut for moons. I've read enough bad reports about K-frame moons not to go that route. Are the L-frames stouter?

Also dumb question. Once cut for 9mm, can the same cylinder still handle .38/.357?

Sorry but I've never used moons other than ,45 ACP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a different cylinder for 9mm than for .38/.357. L frames are definitely more durable than K frames. K frames are still viable under most conditions, but I quit using them because of barrel splitting at the bottom of the forcing cone. Some will split and some won't.

You need a different cylinder for 9mm than for .38/.357. L frames are definitely more durable than K frames. K frames are still viable under most conditions, but I quit using them because of barrel splitting at the bottom of the forcing cone. Some will split and some won't.

Thanks, but the durability question was about the moon clips for rimmed rounds. I've read K-frame clips are very flimsy. Are L-frame .38 special clips any better?

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to convince myself that I need to enter a local ICORE match coming up. I have a 4" 686 that I just had cut for moons, not the best but should work. I'm having an argument with myself, should I enter L6 or Classic, both or neither?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use mine on a fairly regular basis in ICORE. The trigger geometry and odd grip angle are its big downfalls but people are blown away by how level it stays during shots. I'm sure a better shooter than me could be pretty competitive with one.

IMG_20160518_000019_zps8hwrlybb.jpg

Stout K-frames are where it's at. Yes, I shoot a gun that's older than me.

IMG_20160610_173008_zpsnjuabv5w.jpg

Thanks, but the durability question was about the moon clips for rimmed rounds. I've read K-frame clips are very flimsy. Are L-frame .38 special clips any better?

It's all about the quality of the moonclip you buy. TK Customs K-frame clips are plenty sturdy and very rigid with the right brass (Federal). They're actually the same thickness for K-frames as they are for L-Frames: .025"

Oh, and replying to the original topic: I use those two guns for L-6 (Model 10-7 or Rhino). The rest of my rig is a Double Alpha belt with Revolver Supply Co moonclip holders (tall, 7/16" post as it fits both), a few Safariland speed loader holders that grip the moonclips pretty well, and the appropriate holster for the gun (modified Super Ghost Ultimate for the 10-7 and that homebrew job for the Rhino). I'm running factory American Eagle .38 for now but plan to start reloading soon.