Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wall construction

I'm looking for some easy to build and easy to setup/takedown wall ideas. Post up what you have if you don't mind please. Our local club has some good walls, but setup and takedown sucks because everything is staked and screwed into the stakes. We are going to try and put something different together so it makes it easier to setup a field course with more movement. Thanks in advance.

We have some PVC tube walls with orange construction netting that are quick to set up. We've found that if you put some rebar or some other weight inside the legs, it really helps them from being blown over.

They work great for USPSA but are not stable enough to use as cover in IDPA.

Similar to these but out of PVC

match_info.jpg

Do you travel much to shoot? Other clubs in your area may be using a different system that you might copy.

Most of the clubs in eastern Colorado use 6 or 8 foot long walls made from 2x4s and covered with orange snow fence. The walls are maybe 7 feet tall with legs that slide into steel feet. The feet are made from square steel tubing that accepts a 2x4, maybe a foot high and welded to a flat piece of steel like an upside down "T". There is a hole drilled on each end of the flat steel foot to take a spike to hold up the wall in the wind.

I don't have any pictures but I can't believe these are exclusive to this area. Does anyone else have pictures if a similar setup?

I do travel a little, but am always wanting to do more. I have a few ideas from one other place I went to shoot and they seemed to be a good idea and very easy to move around. I'm just looking for ideas to get more options.

Do you travel much to shoot? Other clubs in your area may be using a different system that you might copy.

Most of the clubs in eastern Colorado use 6 or 8 foot long walls made from 2x4s and covered with orange snow fence. The walls are maybe 7 feet tall with legs that slide into steel feet. The feet are made from square steel tubing that accepts a 2x4, maybe a foot high and welded to a flat piece of steel like an upside down "T". There is a hole drilled on each end of the flat steel foot to take a spike to hold up the wall in the wind.

I don't have any pictures but I can't believe these are exclusive to this area. Does anyone else have pictures if a similar setup?

We have just made something similar to what you describe.

1lu19Qj.jpg?1

We use 3/4 square tubing for the frames/legs and have the pipe/flat stock feet like pictured above. They work well and can add ports with plywood to give several options. At Old Fort GC they use wooden poles with the feet attached and hang pvc framed panels on S hooks at the top of the poles. Quick and light weight!

In other threads about this same topic, I have suggested using galvanized steel electrical conduit.

I think you can get pieces of it in 20 foot lengths.

If you are good with a conduit bender, then you could make a bend a 6 feet from one end. Then make another 90 degree bend 6 feet from the other end. So in theory the middle part would be about 7 to 8 foot long. Basically it would wind up looking like a giant staple. Then zip toe the snow fencing or pearl weave to the top crossbar and then the legs.

Use feet like pictured above to make it stand up.

I am not for sure, but I do think they make 90 degree elbows and Tee's for conduit also. So if bending conduit isn't your thing, then, I think, you can just bolt it together with elbows or tees.

The advantage with the galvanized conduit is it would take a while to start rusting, so you should be able to store the partitions outside.

1lu19Qj.jpg?1

I like that. They look like they are say to move around and the stands are really easy to make. Thanks for the pics, keep em coming!

• 2 weeks later...

are these for outside on dirt?

if so what we use will work.

we have walls made up of about 25mm diameter steel bar (maybe re-bar?) they are bent/welded into big rectangles about 7 feet high and maybe 10 or 12 feet wide and covered with a type of shade cloth.. the 'legs' have little points and can be driven into the earth but what we do is use star pickets to hold them. so we have star pickets about 5 feet long. drive in 2 of those then simply zip tie the wall frame to the star pickets. very strong wall/vision barrier and doesn't have any protruding feet like the ones pictured above which can be a trip hazzard. very easy to setup and take down.

Edited by BeerBaron

1lu19Qj.jpg?1

I like that. They look like they are say to move around and the stands are really easy to make. Thanks for the pics, keep em coming!

these are exactly what we use ... this picture could have been taken at my home range ....

• 2 months later...