Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 870

Jody Waring

Hi all! First off, let me say in admission, I have very little experience in 3-gun shooting, and am hoping to get involved a little more this year. I will be using a Remington 870 in 12gauge for Manual-Open. I have a mag extension that will give me 9 rounds, and I have the speed loader set-up as well. I had tried the speed loaders in the past, and got aggrivated, and gave up on them. I read thru the forums, and from what I gathered the wooden dowel in the loaders will help aid in functioning. Just this morning I epoxied some dowel in my 2 loaders with hope tomorrow to get to the range to rey them out. Is there any other recommendations anyone could offer that would help me out? Another thing I was wondering was I find the action in the gun rather stiff, is there any tuning secrets that could help smoothen out the function of the gun? Some of my friends use Mossberg 590's, I think thats the model, and I find they are very fast operating, I was wondering if there were any tips that I might apply to smoothen out the action. I have Hi-Viz sights on the gun, which work rather well, but I was also wondering if an Optic would be more advantageous for shooting in Open division. I appreciate any and all input, and I look forward to your replies! Thanks All!!

Erik, actually my dad had this gun built initially by a local guy, and it was a standard 870 express, and buddy cut the stock barrell and left us with a cylinder bore.(barrell measures 20") It would be nice to have a choked barrell, but in my limited experience, I have good luck with heavier shot, and knocking down steel is no trouble. Slugs seem to work OK too.

Then you are in trouble when the targets get out to 20 yards and you are toast beyond 25 yards. And you are burn toast if the host club limits the shot size. But, those distances are pretty rare.

A couple weeks ago we did some 3 gun practice stages and I put a US Popper at about 20 yards. (Some say it was 25.) Lots of people started bitching and moaning, but it was one target, for practice. Most guns took it down first shot, a few required a second shot, and one couldn't knock it down. He had a 1100 barrel chopped but not choked. I gave him a heavy #4 shell and with deliberate aim he still didn't knock it down.

What little bit of shooting I have done, we generally have birdshot stages, but sometimes need #4 or so, some buckshot stages, and stages with paper or steel at 30-50m for slugs. It's generally pretty clear what type of shot you will need ahead of time, our stages are normally pretty simple, mock pistol stages, with long shots not all that common. For plates, normally 12-15m. I realize the shorter non choked barrell will be a disadvantage, but may later invest in another barrell, I hope to use it as-is for now, and hope to get something better in the future.