Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal diameter

Jasonub

Hi there folks,

I would just like to ask if anybody uses a barsto 40 cal? I just bought a barrel for my limited gun and would like to inquire what diameter you would reccomend. I exclusively use lead bullets and .400 and .401 diameter heads are available here. Any comments? what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks

Jason,

I had a .40 Bar-Sto in a Limited gun for a while.  I never went to the trouble of slugging the barrel, but used Precision (black bullets) sized to .401. I can tell you that it was accurate and I never had any problems.  The rule of thumb for lead bullets is .001 over bore diameter. As you probably know, thats a nominal thing and may not reflect what your particular barrel dia. is. I wouldn't fret to much about it.

If it is a Bar sto barrel, you can bet the maximum diameter of the grooves will not be larger than .4005"  If you have both available, you could try both and see if one or the other shoots more accurately, or leads less.

Or, you could just load whichever is cheaper, and not worry about it.

My vote would be for the latter.  You've got lots of other things to worry over and practice, and bullet diameter is waaaay down the list.