Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Flexmoney

USPSA Divisions

On 1/19/2017 at 8:07 AM, mreed911 said:

Yeah, because that's competitive for new folks and has a low barrier to entry. :)

new folks aren't competitive in any division.

new folks aren't competitive in any division.

Really depends on who the new guy is and how well he shoots. Seems to me, if I recall correctly, Dave Sevigny was very competitive when he moved from IDPA to UDPSA shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add a couple of things to the FAQ that were not obvious to me, coming in fresh to these new divisions:
In divisions where there are 10 round mag limits, you can use higher capacity magazines, but only load them to 10 rounds. Anyone who can count to 11 is going to figure out if you're trying something funny.
In production division - if you have a double action gun without a decocker, you must manually drop the hammer on a live round at the "make ready" command (per: 10.5.9 in the 2008 rule book). This is my least favorite part of the day when shooting production with my EAA Witness. I can tell the ROs love it too.
chuckr

Mags holding more than 10 rnds. in Prod and L-10 still have to meet physical size restrictions. Likewise in SS except 8 rnds if major and 10 if minor. No 10 rnds major mags.

What caliber is best to shoot uspsa production, 9mm or 40cal or does it really matter.

1 hour ago, Ishoot2 said:

What caliber is best to shoot uspsa production, 9mm or 40cal or does it really matter.

The advice I'd offer, as it was offered to me, is to start out shooting 9mm --especially if just getting started in competitive handgun shooting and you're on a tight budget. You're going to need to practice A LOT, and they're cheaper rounds...especially if you plan to buy factory loads vs reloading. If there's any disadvantage to shooting production minor in USPSA, that being 9mm, (I did it for three years and liked it just fine) it's the difference in scoring -- point scoring is higher if shooting major. I recently moving to single stack division major (.45 ACP) and really like the 1911 style pistol much better (especially the crispness of the trigger), and the recoil is also much different than that of a 9mm.  I somehow feel that I can stay on my front sight easier through the recoil of a .45 than as compared to the the snappiness of the muzzle of my 9mm.  I'm guessing .40 would be comparably snappy (or worse) to the 9mm, though I've never fired one.  If money's no object or you consider the cost difference insignificant, don't both starting out with 9mm, just buy a 45. Go to an indoor range where you can try before you buy, and see for yourself which style pistol you like better.  Hope this helped!

1 hour ago, Ishoot2 said:

It doesn’t matter because there is no major power factor in Production. 9mm makes more sense as it’s cheaper.

The advice I'd offer, as it was offered to me, is to start out shooting 9mm --especially if just getting started in competitive handgun shooting and you're on a tight budget. You're going to need to practice A LOT, and they're cheaper rounds...especially if you plan to buy factory loads vs reloading. If there's any disadvantage to shooting production minor in USPSA, that being 9mm, (I did it for three years and liked it just fine) it's the difference in scoring -- point scoring is higher if shooting major. I recently moving to single stack division major (.45 ACP) and really like the 1911 style pistol much better (especially the crispness of the trigger), and the recoil is also much different than that of a 9mm.  I somehow feel that I can stay on my front sight easier through the recoil of a .45 than as compared to the the snappiness of the muzzle of my 9mm.  I'm guessing .40 would be comparably snappy (or worse) to the 9mm, though I've never fired one.  If money's no object or you consider the cost difference insignificant, don't both starting out with 9mm, just buy a 45. Go to an indoor range where you can try before you buy, and see for yourself which style pistol you like better.  Hope this helped!

Thanks for your help Singingshooter.

It doesn’t matter because there is no major power factor in Production. 9mm makes more sense as it’s cheaper.

Thanks for your help Mcfoto.

I'd start with whatever gun and caliber you happen to have right now   :)

Don't buy first - try it first and see if you like it.

Advantages of the 9mm - less expensive to shoot

Advantages of the .40 - if you reload to minor PF, you will probably get less recoil than the 9mm.