Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insanely Fast Cycling Glock - Glock 26?

thegeneric

If I wanted a crazy fast cycling Glock, would lightening the slide and porting the barrel of a Glock 26 result an a faster cycling gun than say a Glock 19/17/34 with the same work?

Other than tuning the recoil spring, what other issues might I run into?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by thegeneric

Reduced power recoil spring that is only strong enough to make the slide go completely into battery every time it is fired. This may vary slightly from pistol to pistol.

What is the purpose of a crazy fast cycling Glock?

.10 splits? Yea, look out Jerry Miculek! He holds the world record since 1989, at a .125 split. OP, better study this video.... And then spend the $$$ for a shot timer so you can actually measure your splits.

Edited by 9x45

Haha no, I'm not that great of a shooter. Just a side project for fun. I want to be able to shoot .10 splits. Just...for fun?

You are not waiting on the slide to shoot .10 splits. A stock Glock 18 has a cyclic rate in excess of 1,100 rpm. That means the slide is back and ready to fire in about .05 secs.

Even firing into the berm getting splits below .15 takes a lot of practice, and that's what is limiting you, not the gun.

this is me out running a benelli at .11 split time.

I'm sure a glock can cycle faster than I can shoot it, but if I can gain some mechanical advantage while I make modifications to my gun, I would prefer to do so.

Edited by thegeneric

I am pretty sure he can run a semi faster than that.

.10 splits? Yea, look out Jerry Miculek! He holds the world record since 1989, at a .125 split. OP, better study this video.... And then spend the $$$ for a shot timer so you can actually measure your splits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

Edited by thegeneric

A local guy that I shoot with, shot 11 rounds on 2 targets (6 on one and 5 on the other) with a no shoot between them, and all the splits for the shots including the transition were .10 on the timer. This was with a para 16-40 with stock slide (the targets were close, about 4 yards). I think the way to get there with your glock would be to get the best trigger you can, a timer, and practice.

Alright guys nevermind, I guess I'll just make some phone calls to some gunsmiths.

Short answer I would think is... maybe. Shorter guns generally need heavier springs in order to not beat themselves to death, from what I understand. So logically cutting up a slide that is lighter to begin with would yes cycle faster than something heavier, but I wonder if you could get away with a super light spring (like an 11) without it coming apart?

I think I would swap between recoil springs in order to not destroy the gun. Thanks for the answer.

Alright guys nevermind, I guess I'll just make some phone calls to some gunsmiths.

Short answer I would think is... maybe. Shorter guns generally need heavier springs in order to not beat themselves to death, from what I understand. So logically cutting up a slide that is lighter to begin with would yes cycle faster than something heavier, but I wonder if you could get away with a super light spring (like an 11) without it coming apart?

Thanks for the anecdote. I'll get out there and practice,

A local guy that I shoot with, shot 11 rounds on 2 targets (6 on one and 5 on the other) with a no shoot between them, and all the splits for the shots including the transition were .10 on the timer. This was with a para 16-40 with stock slide (the targets were close, about 4 yards). I think the way to get there with your glock would be to get the best trigger you can, a timer, and practice.