Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Xl Firing Pin?

Merlin Orr

My heavy dust cover S_I Limited .40 fails to ignite the primers on about 10% of my reloads. Winchester small rifle. I use the Win. small rifle when I load Open ammo and don't want to change. The Limited gun has a heavy mainspring - about an 18# I believe, stock firing pin and a 14# recoil spring. I have checked the firing pin - looks ok. The spring looks good and is undamaged.

My question - What's up with the Limcat XL firing pin? I see them recommended quite a bit. Is there a downside to using a longer firing pin. Does it make a primer rupture more likely to occur?

Sorry for the rambling post.

Only downsides, on some guns it may be necessary to fit/swap firing pin stops so the firing pin doesn't protrude past the breachface at rest.

Keep a close watch on the firing pin spring length and (THIS IS NOT FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!) do not drop a loaded gun even with the safety on. The extended firing pin is virtually resting on the primer!

Nolan

Only downsides, on some guns it may be necessary to fit/swap firing pin stops so the firing pin doesn't protrude past the breachface at rest.

Keep a close watch on the firing pin spring length and (THIS IS NOT FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!) do not drop a loaded gun even with the safety on.  The extended firing pin is virtually resting on the primer!

Nolan

Just popped open the box from Chuck and have installed the Limcat XL in my SV - the firing pin DOES protrude past the breachface at rest. I assume this as with the slide locked open I pressed the firing pin down flush (with a flat piece of metal) under the hammer area and it sticks out past the breachface about 1/16. :huh:

Just popped open the box from Chuck and have installed the Limcat XL in my SV - the firing pin DOES protrude past the breachface at rest.  I assume this as with the slide locked open I pressed the firing pin down flush (with a flat piece of metal) under the hammer area and it sticks out past the breachface about 1/16.  :huh:

As long as it doesn't stick out past it when you're not pressing on the rear of the firing pin, you're good to go. Lock back the slide and look at the breechface. If it doesn't protrude, shoot the gun... no worries.

FWIW, I have the same problem with mv SV, but the failure rate is lower now. I did replace the mainspring with a regular 1911 "stock" power one. I did get a extended firing pin from ShootersConnection or SpeedShooters or somewhere a while back, but i would not fit due the SV interchangable breech face.

Oops, my bad. Yes, the extended firing pin protrudes from the breachface with the Hammer down.

Johnny's (LimCat) extended firing pin will fit the SV Interchangeable Breachface.

Zak, you can carefully turn the firing pin down so it will fit breachface retaining screw using sandpaper/emory cloth if you're patient.

Nolan

It's an issue with the spring compression vs. the spring retaining shoulder on the pin vs. the ITS. If I just drop the FP in there with no spring, it protrudes real far past the breechface. With the spring in place, it can't compress enough to clear the FP stop.

Is this the same spring you use with the standard length firing pin? The XL firing pin shouldn't change the required spring length.

I have to shorten the spring in my SV regardless of firing pin.

Nolan

With the interchangeable breechface there is not as much room for the spring and the spring needs to be shortened.The firing pin spring should be cut so that the end of the spring is even with the end of the firing pin when it is seated on the firing pin.

Bob

"The firing pin spring should be cut so that the end of the spring is even with the end of the firing pin when it is seated on the firing pin."

Is this true with an SV that does not have the interchangeable breechface?