Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti mag conversion

tcazes

I picked up a trubor chambered in .38 super and a few mags to go with it. I'll be fitting a new t2 9mm barrel since I never shoot .38 so Here's my question

The mags are currently for .38 super. I plan to put grams 2.5mm base pads on the mags but what spring and follower kit should I install from grams?

9mm specific 11 coil for the 140s and 13 for the 170?

Will I need to order a spacer?

If I don't need a spacer then what kit should I order since I read the 9mm specific is only for the use of a spacer..

Just trying to order it all right the first time. Thanks in advance!

I have a 38 super gun I'm putting a 9mm barrel in at the moment as well. Load up some 9mm and check your mags. I didn't have any feeding issues with 9mm in my super mags. Some have issues some dont. Check yours. May save some $ in the end.

I load 9mm to 1.166" with montana gold JHP

I run the Grams setup in my mags but haven't changed out the followers to 9mm nor do I use a spacer. Load a bit long and all is good (from my experience). Most of the problems I've seen come in the 170's using 9mm followers.

I don't think you need a spacer with a 38S follower, could be wrong but that's my experience.

• 3 months later...

If it has an Aftec 38 super extractor you will also need to switch to an aftec 9mm extractor as well.

No necessarily, many extractors work just fine as is. So I would try it first, if it works - keep it.

Ok cool. I'll try it when they come in and go from there. Looks like I'll go with just basepads for now with stock internals.

The feed lips of STI mags are not designed to run 9MM. If you want 100% feeding---Grams 9MM followers,springs, basepads. I use the plastic Arrendondo spacers. They don't rattle and you don't need to glue them in. Hardys add wait and rattle.

Stock internals may run, but they will fool you and fail at the worst time and cost you a match!