Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal IPSC Maj loads

I would guess that the attitude of keeping an open mind and be willing to try different things to reach a goal. In this case reliability, and personal perceptions on shootability. I tried longshot yesterday in my open gun. Life is good! meters great. Consistent velocity and accurate. Loud but that's what ear protection is for. Today I was shooting under a NS the gases from the comp destroyed the whole bottom of the target! Should have seen the RO ducking flying debris.

Chriss, open guns are fun!  I have a buddy who shoots a 9x21 major.  In the cold months it sometimes blows visible vapor clouds about 20 ft into the air.  Kinda like shooting in Jellystone park!

Yeah, I think you nailed the attitude aspect of the change.  The attitude thing is really going to be important for me.  I seem to have reached a plateau again and Brian has a real subtle way of helping me see through the BS I sometimes dream up.   I've often heard it said that we create our own roadblocks. I guess, it's hard to find fault with our own creations.  

Bonedaddy:

I have a pretty good database of loads that I have tried and I have spent a bit of time talking to the guys in the lab at Hodgdon. They tell me that Titegroup is the least sensitive to case position and Longshot shows the least amount of pressure in a .40 of any powder that they have ever tried. They advise against Clays because of pressure spikes, but like you I use it with 180's loaded long with no ill effects. Bottom line, the .40 shooters who work at the Hodgdon office pretty much go with Titegroup. One thing that I didn't know is that some powders actually build pressure at lower temps down to about 40 degrees, then the cycle reverses. For small deviations, I am finding that AA2 is the most consistent from about 75 degrees to 40 degrees, but below 40 degrees the stuff gets very inconsistent.

After looking all over the place and waiting forever, I got 2 pounds of N320 this afternoon. I am going to load some 180's tonight and chrono them in the morning while it is cool and then again in mid-afternoon when it gets to about 90 degrees. It should be kind of interesting to see how it behaves with a 40 degree swing in temperature.

Thanks for all the advice guys!   My dealer was out of Titegroup, but I got me some N320.   Ron, Glenrock Components has cases of N320 in stock.  If you come to the steel shoot in Casper this Saturday, you could go back home with several pounds!

I too have tried both VV N320 and Titegroup, both with 200 grn. precisions in my Limited gun.  I cannot perceive an actual difference in the two powders loaded to comparable power factors.  I have, however, stayed with the N320 due to the ease with which my powder measure thows a consistent charge.  I would like to shoot the Titegroup since I can find it quite a bit cheaper, but the RCBS uniflow powder measure I use on my old RCBS Auto 4X4 (I know, I just haven't allocated the money to Dillon yet) does not throw consistent charges of the very fine powders.

Wayne

I've shot quite a bit of Titegroup thru my .40 (180 gr. truncated Rainier, 4.7 to 5.1 gr of Titegroup (5.1 for SOF's  power factor), winchester small pistol primer, and winchester cases.   I like the feel of it but it does produce significant standard deviations.  I usually shoot at Rio Salado in Mesa.  It is also temperature or altitude sensitive - at least in my gun. When Area 2 was held in Raton, my Mesa, AZ 180 pf loads did not make major.  Ouch.

Kelly,

That's the first I've heard of that, it has been running very consistent from about 28 degrees up through the high 70's. I'm getting ES of 5 with a 180 TC lead. Could it be the bullets? I never had any luck with the rainiers. It was actually designed not to be temp and position sensitive. Do you have the lot number? I just popped open another 8 pounder and don't want any problems.

Sorry, don't have the lot #.  I've heard that Titegroup was not temp sensitive but that's is not my experience.  It is probably a combo between my barrel, the bullets and the powder.  I don't really like rainiers that much either but I got a whole bunch cheap.  They're all gone so I am going to try West Coast bullets.

Anybody ever try Vit 330 in their .40??

• 4 months later...