Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good $200 high mag scope?

Religious Shooter

I usually run a 1-6 with my AR's and 2-8 with my hunting rifles.

Looking for a dedicated scope to use for load development for these rifles. Once I'm done with the development for an upper/barrel I'm not going to be using it at all. So I don't want to spend more than $200.

Looking for enough magnification to reduce the spread due to magnification. Relatively fine reticle for group shooting. Hold's zero. Parallax adjustment would be nice.

What scopes would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Agreed, if you could get something like a used weaver T-36 that would be ideal.

Several years ago got a BSA 36x fixed scope from Midway as a black Friday special thinking it would be a total piece of junk. I now use it for the exact purpose you are describing. I'll use it to develop a load or maybe shake a rifle out, then put a better scope on it with less magnification. The glass isn't great, but it is good enough and the turret movements are repeatable and consistent. These are less than 100 bones and the Midway return policy is good. Not sure I'm recommending it exactly, but this has been working for me so far.

I have had good luck with several cheaper scopes, most notably Nikon. The Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 is great, and is actually an useful scope for a hunting rifle as well. I am sure the vortex would work well too. Another GREAT budget scope is the Weaver 3-10x Tactical, although I would imaging you would want a higher mag than 10x.

Where are you located? Since you plan to use it just for load development and then relegate it to the back of the gun safe, borrowing one for a week or so might be a good idea.

As for the Vortex Crossfire 6-18x recommended earlier, I have the same scope on a varmint rifle and have been known to put it on an AR to check the accuracy of my long distance loads. A little fisheye on the edges and a very tight eyebox, but nice clear glass and with a good mount will hold a zero. Good scope for the money.